Stock birdside antenna replacement

Did this tonight, will test fly on Sunday when the weather should be good.
View attachment 73315
Here's my second test with the new AC dipoles. 4559 meters, which is 470 meters better than my previous record of 4089 without. I might add that today when I got to 4559 meters it was me that hit the RTH on my device. My battery was in the 50%'s and I had already overrode the Smart RTH, landed with 16%. So it would had gone more if I wanted to push the battery % a bit more. The video quality was 100% the whole way out and back, no lag or compression lines. So it was real good from the front and rear of the craft, did some small yaw turns heading back so the side got tested a bit also.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
Reactions: Vega
Here's my second test with the new AC dipoles. 4559 meters, which is 470 meters better than my previous record of 4089 without. I might add that today when I got to 4559 meters it was me that hit the RTH on my device. My battery was in the 50%'s and I had already overrode the Smart RTH, landed with 16%. So it would had gone more if I wanted to push the battery % a bit more. The video quality was 100% the whole way out and back, no lag or compression lines. So it was real good from the front and rear of the craft, did some small yaw turns heading back so the side got tested a bit also.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
William what would you think of this mod without the amps? Just the Maxx flat panel and this mod. Would it help in the residential areas? I get plenty of range in the country. I don't know if I really need much more out there. But out behind the house would be nice to have more range. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got the bazooka dipoles and DBS mod installed. The best so far is just over 1200 meters from my development. A little disappointing, but my goal really isn't for crazy distance, if so I would have bought a higher end drone. I just want to be able to explore around home without RTH or FPV fade. Stock, I was only getting around 700 meters which didn't even get me to the front of the development. So I'm pretty happy with this setup. I'll be anxious to see how this does in a more remote location...

William what would you think of this mod without the amps? Just the Maxx flat panel and this mod. Would it help in the residential areas? I get plenty of range in the country. I don't know if I really need much more out there. But out behind the house would be nice to have more range. Thanks

Yes it should. Any Improvement you make to the signal transmission or reception is going to increase your range in any environment. Just in a residential area that Improvement will be less than it would be out in a rural area. And remember, you still need LOS between you and the drone. Buildings or trees (especially if they have green leaves) blocking an imaginary line between the RC and AC will not work when in your neighborhood, even with the Maxx panel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: k9time
Have you tried it with one of them turned 90 degrees? Might be good for antenna diversity.
If you check my post #43 and Healthy Drones data @ 4559 meters I'm not complaining. But to answer your question, the dipoles work in a 360° around the end part. So the way I did it with that end vertical, that 360° covers the full compass. If you were to make one horizontal, you would have two dead zones pointing in the direction of the ends of the wire. The only up side would be better signal above and below the drone, which I really don't need as I want the best signal horizontally.

If you check my post #43 and Healthy Drones data @ 4559 meters I'm not complaining. But to answer your question, the dipoles work in a 360° around the end part. So the way I did it with that end vertical, that 360° covers the full compass. If you were to make one horizontal, you would have two dead zones pointing in the direction of the ends of the wire. The only up side would be better signal above and below the drone, which I really don't need as I want the best signal horizontally.

OK. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm in the process making/copying a set of those dipoles. Just waiting for the coax cable to arrive.
Let me know how your homemade dipole works out for you, I know it will probably cost less than I paid for just shipping on mine.

Last edited:
Let me know how your homemade dipole works out for you, I know it will probably cost less than I paid for just shipping on mine.

Will do. yjander (on here) is making one as well. We've been talking back n forth all week about it. He said he'll start a thread once it's completed. I'll post in that one.

Not sure I'd have the motivation to open up my remote after all that work to switch out these cables. Good luck.
Got that done. Big difference in quality of wires like you said.
Got dipoles coming in from Maxx also Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates.. Thinking about popping top cover as got to take screws out anyway. How much trouble would you think it would be to run wires down legs and leave stock antenna and wires in place? Might as well leave original in place right in case need to go back? Thanks William..

Got that done. Big difference in quality of wires like you said.
Got dipoles coming in from Maxx also Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates.. Thinking about popping top cover as got to take screws out anyway. How much trouble would you think it would be to run wires down legs and leave stock antenna and wires in place? Might as well leave original in place right in case need to go back? Thanks William..

Why would you need to take screws out anyways? What screws?

Why would you need to take screws out anyways? What screws?
Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates
Installing these. 6 screws at the end of each arm needs to come out. Going to take the other 2 or 3 screws out and remove top shell. Was wondering if you thought there would be room to drop the new dipole wires down legs along side of original antenna and wires to leave them in place. That way if need be can go back to original like you were talking. Any more tests with your setup? Thanks

Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates
Installing these. 6 screws at the end of each arm needs to come out. Going to take the other 2 or 3 screws out and remove top shell. Was wondering if you thought there would be room to drop the new dipole wires down legs along side of original antenna and wires to leave them in place. That way if need be can go back to original like you were talking. Any more tests with your setup? Thanks

This dipole is for the WiFi antenna?

This dipole is for the WiFi antenna?

I'm confused too.

k9time, we are talking about the 2.4ghz antennas. The factory ones do not run down the legs. They run to the camera and install like this:

The ones you see in the legs are the (2) 5.8ghz ones and the compass one.

Thanks you guys and thanks for this tread. Got them on.
7e8ffc8f25a0cec4ddc6392b815c6c45.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart