Still testing my Walkera G2D gimbal...need imput

Reaction score
I have the phantom P1 and Walkera G2D Gimbal. It works fine but I have the jitters in my video at times and it's driving me nuts. I first stuffed toilet paper inside the rubbers and that seemed to help some. I ended up taking that out. I have an external battery on the rear of gimbal to power it. I even put the battery elsewhere and that didn't help. Today, I compressed rubbers to about 90% and ran small wire ties through each rubber. I think this is the best it has been. Camera is balanced...props are fine. Maybe I'm being too critical now. Not sure. Wind was calm. Please watch and tell me what you think. The plastic that the gimbal is made of has the tendency to flex a bit. If that's the issue, I can't fix that. I chose the plastic because of it being lighter. For $70, I think it's great. I see videos from the P3 and when in still hover, it looks like a still picture most of the time. I have thought about the Walkera 3 axis gimbal but I have heard a lot of people having problems with them. And no, I am not going to buy a $400 gimbal for my $300 Phantom. Be sure to watch in HD. Shot at 1080 -30

HI Monte
I recon you've got it sussed I can't see any problems with your video, BTW what on earth is that muddy circle in the grass?
my buddy had a P3P and his vids when hovering is also like a still photo but consider what he had to pay compared with what we've had to pay for ours, mine is a V1.1.1 and I'm getting as good results as you with a cheap (£29) gimbal (2D) like you, no way paying more for a gimbal than my quad

I have the metal walkera g2d and I've pretty much accepted the fact that a cheap gimbal(I guess $90 is cheap when compared to the 400$p3 gimbal) will vibrate. When the bird is going as fast as it can it will vibrate period. I even switched the dampers and stuffed them with ear plugs as well as bought a prop balancer to reduce vibration and the change was minimal.

What i've realized is the best way to reduce vibration is to fly slow and steady in atti mode. In fact, really the best way is just turn it to atti mode and just let it drift with the wind. So unfortunately you're at the mercy of the wind... Basically we'll never get video like you get from the p3..which is why I won't put anymore money into the p1 because i'll eventually just get a p3.... first world problems :p

That being said, that video looks pretty good to me. My vibration was worse. Of course it'll never look like p3 footage...but like you said yourself, that's a 400$ gimbal.

If you want your footage to look almost as good as p3 footage, you'll need a good video stabilizer...which is also very expensive.

HI Monte
I recon you've got it sussed I can't see any problems with your video, BTW what on earth is that muddy circle in the grass?
my buddy had a P3P and his vids when hovering is also like a still photo but consider what he had to pay compared with what we've had to pay for ours, mine is a V1.1.1 and I'm getting as good results as you with a cheap (£29) gimbal (2D) like you, no way paying more for a gimbal than my quad
Hey man. Thanks for the reply. Im about to go out again and take it up high and hover and then do a couple of speed runs to see how that works out.
The mud circle. That used to be a low spot in the yard and when it rained it would puddle. We decided to add dirt and plant flowers and stuff there. The berm just kept getting bigger and bigger. I wasn't sure if I would plant anything there anymore since I test fly there a lot. So a couple of days ago I put more dirt in from my pile and tilled it in. Planted new seed and starter fertilizer. Should see new grass in a few weeks. Makes it easier to mow too.

I have the metal walkera g2d and I've pretty much accepted the fact that a cheap gimbal(I guess $90 is cheap when compared to the 400$p3 gimbal) will vibrate. When the bird is going as fast as it can it will vibrate period. I even switched the dampers and stuffed them with ear plugs as well as bought a prop balancer to reduce vibration and the change was minimal.

What i've realized is the best way to reduce vibration is to fly slow and steady in atti mode. In fact, really the best way is just turn it to atti mode and just let it drift with the wind. So unfortunately you're at the mercy of the wind... Basically we'll never get video like you get from the p3..which is why I won't put anymore money into the p1 because i'll eventually just get a p3.... first world problems :p

That being said, that video looks pretty good to me. My vibration was worse. Of course it'll never look like p3 footage...but like you said yourself, that's a 400$ gimbal.

If you want your footage to look almost as good as p3 footage, you'll need a good video stabilizer...which is also very expensive.
I dont expect P3 video quality but if I see jitters in a laptop, I can only imagine how bad it would look like on a big screen.

If you look at some of the other videos I have posted here with this setup, you can see what I mean. I don't think it is the gimble itself but the mounting. Certain rpm and or wind would give the sideways jitter.

Ok took it up again and went through some things. Didn't change anything although the wind did pick up a bit. Still have the jitters. At times it looks really good and then it has the shakes. I'm trying to match up the jitters with prop noise. Can't pin it down. Some of the time I switched to Atti but not sure when watching video. Don't know what else to try. It seems to be more wind related and when the quad is fighting to be stable but not sure. Here's the video. I'm not talking about the yaw movements. That's me and the quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl