Stealth Drone Propellers

Hi All -

My colleague and I are developing new rotors for drones to significantly quiet the noise coming from the drones we love to fly. He is a nautical engineer who develops propulsion units for high end ships and I am a plastics engineer who knows all sorts of manufacturing techniques for low and mass production.

I am looking for pro-sumer operators of DJI drones in the Southeast Massachusetts area to test fly our creations. This will involve both inside (sound box) flying as well as "real world" flying. Compensation will only be the state minimum hourly wages, plus unlimited stealth props for your drone. Perhaps food and an adult beverage can be provided.

Not sure the best way to contact me on this forum... I leave that to your creativity.

The federal aviation administration did a lot of testing back in the 80's on noise reduction propellers. I hav been planning on building a set that has the same arodynamic characteristics as the ones they designed. They still fly them today and make only a low tone hum.

Hi All -

My colleague and I are developing new rotors for drones to significantly quiet the noise coming from the drones we love to fly. He is a nautical engineer who develops propulsion units for high end ships and I am a plastics engineer who knows all sorts of manufacturing techniques for low and mass production.

I am looking for pro-sumer operators of DJI drones in the Southeast Massachusetts area to test fly our creations. This will involve both inside (sound box) flying as well as "real world" flying. Compensation will only be the state minimum hourly wages, plus unlimited stealth props for your drone. Perhaps food and an adult beverage can be provided.

Not sure the best way to contact me on this forum... I leave that to your creativity.
I would love to help I live in west Plymouth ma

I am in Oregon and would like to help at no cost. Filming wildlife with no noise or low noise would be a great help.

"Stealth" implies you have something to hide - bad vibes. Maybe change product name to "quiet blades" or "neighbour friendly propellers". Sounds better.

I was thinking besides "stealth," other possible names might be:

"You'll never hear it coming" - blades.

"Sneaky-Drone" - blades.

"Nobody will ever know it's there" - blades.

"Drone? I didn't hear any stinkin' drone" - blades.

----

I agree that "stealth" implies something in this hobby that it shouldn't.

I hope you are successful with your design. Noise draws too much attention and I think people would be a lot less annoyed with drones if they didn't make so much noise. Keep us posted as I think you will have a lot of interest if these become available.

Why are quieter props necessary?

You don't get something for nothing... What are the trade-offs and side effects?

What role does material play?
Not sure about the trade-offs, but I remember hearing sometime back that mechanical noise is a result of inefficiency. If they can design something quiet and more efficient, great. But it may be the inherent design of quads does not allow for that possibility.

I'm in Texas and would test for free as well. It would be nice to have a quieter bird.

Phantom 4

I live in CT not far and I am interested to learn more. We fly professionally and we also have a product in development ( not like yours) that we will be offering to our clients, if you could develop such a prop we have existing clients that would no doubt use them... its a great idea but I don't thing Owl feathers will do the trick... you can reach me to discuss more if you like ( NDA ) would not be an issue.. email is ml92760
Hi All -

I live in CT not far and I am interested to learn more. We fly professionally and we also have a product in development ( not like yours) that we will be offering to our clients, if you could develop such a prop we have existing clients that would no doubt use them... its a great idea but I don't thing Owl feathers will do the trick... you can reach me to discuss more if you like ( NDA ) would not be an issue.. email is [email protected] Thanks

Reactions: SeabeeEO3
Noise problems flying a Beech Bonanza were helped by by adding blades. 3 blades vs 2 was well known to get better climb, less noise, but reduced top speed. I'd suspect a 5 blade prop
Jetstream41_4.jpg
(Jetstream 41) may make a useful improvement. Have DJI Spark. and shop facilities at Minuteman Airfield in Stow, Ma

The mavic just came out with quieter props, they modified the tips, we may see these types of quieter props available for the Phantom series in the near future(maybe). Quieter yes but stealth I don't think so.

Last edited:
It’s kind of funny how this thread continues 7 months after it was started. Yet the OP who claimed this and that about new magic props bla bla bla, only posted twice ever. Both times at the top of this thread. Then nothing.

Reactions: Brother Dave
I expect that since physics is the cause of the noise, someone will use physics to deaden it.
For instance, 'noise canceling' headphones for aviation wasn't possible, until it was.

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka