Stay away from the Parrot Disco if you are thinking about buying it.

What it really lacked was range. Something that goes that fast really needs a lightbridge system or occusync with it. Again, when it was flying it was a lot of fun. But it is indeed a toy company that jumped into the major leagues and should have refined a few things. For the original price, it was not worth it. Even at $999 I would hesitate.

toy company to build a drone that does not randomly shut down during flight.

Stomp.gif

It should glide out of the sky not fall like a quad would!
yes I havent seen many problem videos most seems one happy this year with it..bet its easy to crash, long battery life at 45 mins though and not bad distance, TX could be better and more power.
i found this blog by searching problems but there arent many other posts

I just bought mine for $729. Looking forward to flying it. There is always problems with all electronics. My Phantom 3 pro had to go back. Sometimes I wonder why we all give it to DJI. I like to share and try other drones as well.

My advice to you is that you avoid this drone at all costs. I have had two shut down in mid flight. Two. The support is sketchy at best and apparently this is more wide spread then they would have you believe. I wanted to believe that this thing would be good. Its not. It is having some serious hardware issues and I would hold off until they fix them .
Any alternative winged drones anyone can suggest?
Is there a forum for these?

Our surveyors use an eBee, which I understand was recently purchased by Parrot. In any event, the eBee works great. FWIW

Disco is cool but it's way overpriced for what you get. If you want a fixed wing, look at the Sportsman S+ or the Convergence (Covergence is a VTOL fixed wing -- much easier to land!).

I like Parrot products, but they tend to be overpriced for what you get. Wait a bit and the prices will drop. :) I love the Mambo quad, and they just came out with an FPV version! I honestly have as much fun with the Mambo as I do the P4.

I don't want to spend $25,000 for an eBee.
Any othe advice?
I believe the major part of that cost is the RTK system and software. The done itself is pretty basic. Styrofoam and rubber bands. For photo and video, you drop in a compact point and shoot camera.

Maybe one parot gets up to speed on eBee capabilities, they will produce a solid fixed wing under & 1,000.

I would wait until they address the problems with it. I will never buy a parrot product again after this. Seems to be issues with the controller and app across the model lineup. Same issues as mine. They just drop out of the sky. When I get my replacement it is going straight to ebay. I will buy a mavic instead. Shame on me for buying a drone at a professional price from a toy company.
Well, I think you're over-reacting a bit. While the "serious" Parrot drones might have issues (I have no idea, as I have no experience or second-hand knowlege), I've personally had perfect success with the Mambo, one of their higher-end "toy" drones. Other Mambo owners seems to be pretty happy too, if the bboard over at Parrot is any indication.

Can't say anything about the Disco, Bee-Bop, etc., but for a fun flier that's rock-stable with visual positioning, ultrasonic altitude ranging as well as a barometric altimeter, and loads of fun to fly indoors and out, I'd recommend the Mambo highly.

And it comes with a little grabber and pea-shooter attachment that can be controlled remotely. Completely superfluous, but fun to goof with for the fifty-something kid like me :D

Parrot is more than a toy company. Look up the parrot Sequoia.

I have flown a p3p for surveys and videography over hundreds of flights. It is not without its issues and on some days you just want to throw it in the lake. That said I have never had it come down in the air. I do have one hanging from the shop ceiling, with the cracked frame issue. I feel it would probably fly fine but liability wise vs price point its not worth it.

I am looking into the parrot, adventurer is on for 1k, for aerial surveying with the 4 band camera, ndvi indexes etc. I was surprised to find this thread so negative, as someone above mentioned there isn't that much negativity going around on it. I already own the Sequoia.

I got a Parrot Disco (wing) for less than half price from a guy who wanted cash to party, not the gift from someone. So I got yet another unopened in the box deal. Patience.
I like it a lot. Serves a different purpose, is fun and more crash resistant than my DJI Phantoms. I've inadvertently crashed both kinds. The range is great good for vistas. Phantoms are good for more precision photography and fun in a different way.
Both are gifts from my wife and get me out of the house. I'm retired.

I have flown my Parrot Disco 6 times now and I really enjoy the fixed wing. It is so much more fun because it is constantly moving. I use the P3P for precise photos and the Disco for Longview landscapes. I love it.

Price is down to $400 on B&H photo. Love this thing. Loooong flights. I've done hour long 25 mile round trips, can't do that with a DJI. Much more fun to fly. You can also add your own receiver and remote for unlimited control and stunt flying. It's a great machine IMHO.

I bought my from B&H photo a couple of months ago for 399.00. I have over 70 flights on it already and had zero issues so far and love flying it. I'm so impressed I bough the bebop 2 for an extra 249.00 and that's been awesome so far also. I am considering buying another Disco because the price is so cheap and I want another skycontroller for the bebop. The only downside to these drones is the cameras are not the best. If you want commercial video then stick to the DJ. I would love to get the maverick pro though. But cannot say anything bad about parrot, it's been solid so far.

My advice to you is that you avoid this drone at all costs. I have had two shut down in mid flight. Two. The support is sketchy at best and apparently this is more wide spread then they would have you believe. I wanted to believe that this thing would be good. Its not. It is having some serious hardware issues and I would hold off until they fix them .

I don't know what caused your aircraft to shut down midflight, but I have had no such problem. I recently bought one for $400 and have flown it a dozen times and it has worked as advertised, except that that connection range is not as long as I expected - I lost connection at around 3500 ft during a waypoint mission. I had the autopilot set to return to home if connection was lost and it did just that.

Same thing for Xiro v. Flew absolutely perfect for about four weeks. Shut off in mid flight and crashed. Flight files showed I did nothing wrong. Sent files to Xiro who proceeded to tell me I inadvertently turned it off crashing it. Two other pilots reviewed my files saying I did nothing wrong and it just shut off. Xiro refuses to honor my warranty. I complained to Amazon and even though it was past 30 days they refunded my order and I promptly bought a P3S. Xiro quit replying to my emails and a letter I wrote. Xiro is a horrible company. Love my P3S. Hats off to Amazon

I've been flying my $399. Disco for several months now without major problems. Amazing machine really. You can reach places you never could with a normal quad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18