Spooked horse runs into crowd at Silverton skijoring

Yes the drone operator was irresponsible. However, having half tonne easily spooked animals in public unbarricaded places is also asking for trouble. I bet the horse owner isn't fined tut. As for now banning drones at the event, are they also going to ban everything else that could potentially scare a horse? Loud clapping, horns, shouting, pets, thunder.

Bad call for the operator to fly this event and bad call for the organizers not better protecting the spectators (even from their own stupidity).

Flying over a crowd, probably commercially. Just wait until the FAA catches wind and makes an example of this guy.

While nobody has said that this was a Phantom, its highly probable that it was. If so, there's at least a fair chance that the pilot is on this forum. I'd be interested in hearing more detail vs. sensationalism if the pilot would care to share. Or if anybody else that happened to be in Silverton and saw the incidence wants to chime it that would be cool too. I hope the people that were hurt are ok.

I didn't find that article sensationalistic.

Reactions: AyeYo
Flying over a crowd, probably commercially. Just wait until the FAA catches wind and makes an example of this guy.

From the article.....

"San Juan County Sheriff Bruce Conrad said he plans to issue a ticket to the drone pilot for flying over a crowd of people, which is illegal."

Lol!

From the article.....

"San Juan County Sheriff Bruce Conrad said he plans to issue a ticket to the drone pilot for flying over a crowd of people, which is illegal."

Lol!

Getting a ticket from the local cops is not the same as an FAA violation.

Exactly. So how does a local cop give a ticket for an FAA violation?
Reckless endangerment maybe? I doubt a ticket issued by local law enforcement officer for violating a federal regulation would stand up. A million to one the cop would even know the chapter and verse of the law or reg being violated. Still, it was in Colorado and they may have some really old laws still on the books that make it illegal to spook a horse in a crowd of people.

I think that reckless endangerment sounds like a justifiable citation in most jurisdictions. Just because the sheriff can't use federal regulation against the guy doesn't mean he can't find an ordinance he CAN use. I think that any real justice in this case could come in civil court, where hopefully the pilot will be responsible for hospital bills and ambulance rides at least (plus court costs).

There is a similar event in my neck of the woods next weekend. It happens on a main street (US-24) lined with crowds of onlookers. I'm sure that a drone could be flown responsibly and safely at these events, however not down at street level over crowds of people. My recommendation if you need to film one of these events as a hobbyist is to first ask permission of the organizers and fly above a building with the owner's permission. Stay away from people and certainly stay away from horses that may be familiar with crowds, but not with drones. If you're gonna do it as a pro, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Reactions: AyeYo
There is a similar event in my neck of the woods next weekend. It happens on a main street (US-24) lined with crowds of onlookers. I'm sure that a drone could be flown responsibly and safely at these events, however not down at street level over crowds of people. My recommendation if you need to film one of these events as a hobbyist is to first ask permission of the organizers and fly above a building with the owner's permission. Stay away from people and certainly stay away from horses that may be familiar with crowds, but not with drones. If you're gonna do it as a pro, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Where abouts in CO are you? I'm in Lakewood.

I'll see you there for hopefully less drone related crashes of horses.

"...spectators will not be allowed at the start line, which has no barricades...

For the event, skiers hold onto a rope as a galloping horse pulls them through a series of gates and jumps."

But yes, it's the drones that are dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: 42FrankZ and Stew-2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj