Split Cost of FAA Part 107 Flight School

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am starting to study for the part 107 FAA exam.

There are lots of websites online that have a study program to help learn the material.

I am looking to split the cost of a program with someone, or if you have already completed your exam and now have dormant study guide, I am interested. Why not re-coup some of your $ for something you already used?

Thank you!

It was two hours (allowed) proctored via couple of cameras in a computer room (Computer-driven test.) in the CATS facility. Multiple choice. Mine had 63 questions. It said 60 questions and three validation questions so actual amount was 63 I had to answer and stay above 70% which you don't find out until the end of it. Bunch of pre and post test signing signatures by you and the examiner. Luckily I am also a pilot, just not current so I had to do the whole tomale, and I knew the CFI examiner from 35 years prior so I didn't get a lot of study drill questions and check marks on the filing form regarding that. Just needed my driver's license. There was a FAA questionnaire about the test itself at the end of it all as well as the test center setup, cleanliness, etc. too. Took me about 40 minutes. The test room had four computers but I was only one in there, other than the cameras. Once done they wanted you to turn around and face the camera which meant you were done and they came back.

You also get a book with the charts and maps used in the test from a locked drawer. A calculator, pencils, and blank paper was provided as well.

The examiner will let you review your missed questions if you want. Mine didn't show the correct answers, only the question. When asked about the correct answer as I recalled them, he also missed the ones I did which I thought was funny. Big load off once done with the thing too, and not needing to go through another $150 re-test as well as a questioning section over your prior missed questions if you fail was nice too. If you screw it up, the missed ones will come back to haunt you, or so he said.

My experience was pretty much the same as GMack described. I'm also a non-current private pilot and found the test to be quite similar to parts of the the Private exam. I spent about 10-12 hours reviewing/studying, in part because I wanted to ace the test.

You don't need to buy an online course - everything you need to know is downloadable on the FAA website.

That said, there is a lot to learn. Quite a bit of it is stuff that doesn't really apply to Phantom-size quadcopters, but remember that a 107 Remote Pilot certificate allows you to fly rotary and fixed-wing unmanned aircraft up to 55 lbs.

Buy a paper sectional chart and make sure you know what every single mark on it means. Make sure you can determine what class of airspace exists at all altitudes at any location. You should know whether you are allowed to fly at any location and altitude. I am not exaggerating here.

Learn to decode a METAR and TAF completely. If you don't know what those are, don't waste your money on the test - you won't pass without that knowledge.

Know all of the part 107 operational regulations, retesting schedule, accident reporting requirements, etc.

Know radio communications phraseology.

FAA is big on aeronautical decision making, risk management, crew resource management and hazardous personalities/attitudes. Look up the FAA publications on that stuff and know it.

Download the testing supplement and become familiar with what is in it. You can find answers to some questions in the material contained in the supplement. (For example, there is an extensive legend of all the symbols on a sectional. Forgot what a dashed magenta or dashed blue line around an airport means? That info is in there, but it won't do you any good if you aren't aware of it.)

If you know all the above stuff cold, you can relax and know that you'll do very well on the test. If you skip learning any of the above subjects, you might not pass unless you nail everything else. If you don't know the sectionals, METARs and TAFs, you definitely won't pass.

Good luck. Let us kknow how you did.

Reactions: tml4191
My experience was pretty much the same as GMack described. I'm also a non-current private pilot and found the test to be quite similar to parts of the the Private exam. I spent about 10-12 hours reviewing/studying, in part because I wanted to ace the test.

You don't need to buy an online course - everything you need to know is downloadable on the FAA website.

That said, there is a lot to learn. Quite a bit of it is stuff that doesn't really apply to Phantom-size quadcopters, but remember that a 107 Remote Pilot certificate allows you to fly rotary and fixed-wing unmanned aircraft up to 55 lbs.

Buy a paper sectional chart and make sure you know what every single mark on it means. Make sure you can determine what class of airspace exists at all altitudes at any location. You should know whether you are allowed to fly at any location and altitude. I am not exaggerating here.

Learn to decode a METAR and TAF completely. If you don't know what those are, don't waste your money on the test - you won't pass without that knowledge.

Know all of the part 107 operational regulations, retesting schedule, accident reporting requirements, etc.

Know radio communications phraseology.

FAA is big on aeronautical decision making, risk management, crew resource management and hazardous personalities/attitudes. Look up the FAA publications on that stuff and know it.

Download the testing supplement and become familiar with what is in it. You can find answers to some questions in the material contained in the supplement. (For example, there is an extensive legend of all the symbols on a sectional. Forgot what a dashed magenta or dashed blue line around an airport means? That info is in there, but it won't do you any good if you aren't aware of it.)

If you know all the above stuff cold, you can relax and know that you'll do very well on the test. If you skip learning any of the above subjects, you might not pass unless you nail everything else. If you don't know the sectionals, METARs and TAFs, you definitely won't pass.

Good luck. Let us kknow how you did.
Thank you for your knowledge. You must be real wise since you are 116 years old. :)

Reactions: hardknox00001
It was two hours (allowed) proctored via couple of cameras in a computer room (Computer-driven test.) in the CATS facility. Multiple choice. Mine had 63 questions. It said 60 questions and three validation questions so actual amount was 63 I had to answer and stay above 70% which you don't find out until the end of it. Bunch of pre and post test signing signatures by you and the examiner. Luckily I am also a pilot, just not current so I had to do the whole tomale, and I knew the CFI examiner from 35 years prior so I didn't get a lot of study drill questions and check marks on the filing form regarding that. Just needed my driver's license. There was a FAA questionnaire about the test itself at the end of it all as well as the test center setup, cleanliness, etc. too. Took me about 40 minutes. The test room had four computers but I was only one in there, other than the cameras. Once done they wanted you to turn around and face the camera which meant you were done and they came back.

You also get a book with the charts and maps used in the test from a locked drawer. A calculator, pencils, and blank paper was provided as well.

The examiner will let you review your missed questions if you want. Mine didn't show the correct answers, only the question. When asked about the correct answer as I recalled them, he also missed the ones I did which I thought was funny. Big load off once done with the thing too, and not needing to go through another $150 re-test as well as a questioning section over your prior missed questions if you fail was nice too. If you screw it up, the missed ones will come back to haunt you, or so he said.

I'm Canadian, near Montreal. I'll probably do the 107 as a boy scout badge (can't legally work in the US) as some others have done. (Commercial, CFI, not current). I used to fly in the US with my father and I've rented planes there on occasion. My father actually had a US private license for reasons that escape me - hassling with the BFR...

If I read you right above, the cost of the exam was $150?

Was this a school run test (you say "proctored").

There are three locations "near" here, one in upstate NY that doesn't show on a map; one in Burlington, VT and one in Clayton, NY.

My SFOC application is pretty much done so once that's in there's another "level" of SFOC I can begin working on - studying for the 107 doesn't seem like much additional load.

One more suggestion for OP: do some digging on YouTube. There are some really good materials aimed directly at the Part 107 process. Between free online materials, a couple youtube videos, and the FAA guides, I devoted about 10 hours to studying and passed last week with a 95%. It really isn't that bad a test. Focus the most on understanding sectional charts and the associated airspace restrictions, know how to read a METAR, and remember common sense. This is an easier multiple choice exam than most, as there are only three options for each question. You can usually narrow it down to two options pretty easily based only on the question structure. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94