someone PLEASE explain commercial pilot stuff to me

Reaction score
Last week I was talking with a couple realtor friends about getting my faa 107 license because the they would like to hire me for some pictures and a couple days ago I honestly just saw new rules are out that seriously affect this hobby.
I've tried to look around online at the requirements to be a commercial quadcopter pilot but I'm still lost.
what do I need to be able to sell photographs (homes) and videos?

part 107, a decent quadcopter, that's all I know :(
can someone help me figure this out please?
one of my friends told me to start a small business with this so I can use it as a tax write off also but I'm not trying to get carried away with this until I get more comfortable.
thanks guys

I've tried to look around online at the requirements to be a commercial quadcopter pilot but I'm still lost.
what do I need to be able to sell photographs (homes) and videos?
Concentrate on the Part 107 First. You must have that before considering anything else.

Part 107

Yep, there's a whole lotta stuff involved if you want to do it legally as a business.

Aside from the 107, you also may need insurance, a business license, a commercial film permit, some DJI unlocks if under a NFZ airspace, permissions from land owners, property release if trademarked, knowledge of local NFZ or TFR, city no-drone zones like parks or beaches, critical infrastructures with no-fly areas, waivers, Acord 25 forms to whomever, etc. Lots'a homework, and some of it will delay doing something on a spur-of-the-moment shoot too.

That said, I'd wager that 95% of all commercial drone flights are delinquent in one area where some badge could shut you down with some gray law or even one on the books if need be. Even our local county is doing some flights illegally at night sans any night flight waiver they need, whereas another county agency has their night flight waiver when I looked them up on the FAA portal. Shoot and run is often the theme - and even Hollywood is known to do it too where some actor's got arrested doing a quick cops-and-robbers short clip without a permit.

you need that for even hobby use now dont you?
No. Nothing has changed drastically yet. For now you follow the current guidelines per Section 336.

Reactions: lalojamesliz
Congrats on thinking about doing this the right way. I was in the same position your in. I 1st got my 107. I used Gold Seal to prepare. I am very happy with thier lessons and support. You have options, but get the 107 for commercial work. Then you can take care of the other stuff you will need.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor