Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Software to reduce compression artifacts?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Joe88keys, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Joe88keys

Many of my videos have compression artifacts on highly detailed things like trees and grass. It looks like rapidly pulsating brightness. Nearby solid objects show no pulsing brightness - only detailed surfaces.

I usually shoot 4K 30fps but I have also had this problem while shooting 1080p.

Has anyone with this problem been able to successfully reduce it in post-processing? I have seen multiple plugins designed to fix this: Flicker Free, GBDeflicker, and Neat Video.

Does anyone have experience with these or other utilities and found what works well for this? They cost $99 and up and some are plugins for video editors that I don't have so it would be helpful to have recommendations before spending the money.

Thanks!

Joe

2. Mako79

Post it up.
    Could be just simple as prop shadows in bright areas.

3. Joe88keys

Do you mean post on YouTube and post a link here or is there somewhere else I should be posting?

Prop shadows were the first thing I thought of so I bought a lens shade and tried it but that made no difference at all. I should have put that in my original post but it was getting long so I omitted it. That and the fact that a tree or grass will show it but solid objects in the same shot don't display a trace make of it me think it is compression artifacts and not shadows.

I'll be glad to post a clip if you let me know where. It would be interesting to see what happens to compression artifacts when YouTube compresses it much more aggressively.

Thanks!

Joe

4. Joe88keys

I did find a clip taken facing north on a heavily overcast day (which should make shadows unlikely) that has some very obvious pulsing brightness in the trees and grass while the road right next to them is steady. I could post it somewhere if that would be helpful.

I'm mainly interested in hearing if people have found software that is effective at fixing this in post.

Thanks again.

Joe