sodding gimbal roll

Reaction score
It's a minor gripe, but it does kind of ruin landscape or horizon video & stills when the horizon is constantly out by a noticeable amount. It's worse after the gimbal corrects for yaw on my P3A. There's no point using the app to adjust the roll manually because as soon as the gimbal moves, it's out again.

Are there any rumours of a fix for this? I never had this problem with my P2V+.

This is even more annoying than waiting until the end of time for additional batteries...

I had the same issue-off by about 3-4 degrees. I calibrated the IMU followed directly by calibrating the gimbal. Fixed it. Hope it stays. Surprisingly DJI chat advised me to do that and it worked.

I re-calibrated the IMU again last friday (the 4th time in less than a fortnight) & it hasn't had any effect.

The horizon may be aligned for a short period, but as soon as I rotate the craft it's back to being skewiff.

Perhaps there's a fault with mine? I really don't want to send it back to DJI.

Perhaps DJI are deliberately making people wait months to fix their warranty returns to put other people off... it's certainly deterring me!

This is a known problem. I have my P3 running perfectly in every way except for horizon being off. So one of my after takeoff checks is to set gimbal role at -1.2
Once that's done all work reasonably well. Hopefully an update will fix this. If you critically look at DJI video, even the stuff that DJI use for promotion, the horizon is often left to right, low to high.

I've just sent this to DJI.
"A common issue amongst many Phantom 3 pilots exists. The camera horizon is not level. Even DJI promotional videos show this problem. Could you contact the firmware engineers to advise them of this common problem. If they are aware, when is a fix expected? Regards Bret Lucas"

Reactions: cjmwales
DJI instructed me to calibrate the IMU AND the gimbal. Do the IMU and then immediately calibrate the gimbal. It worked for me and seems to have fixed it but the key was to do them both.

If this is a problem and mine fixed but others are not, I'm lucky I guess but will take it!

This is a know problem. I suggest you watch this very helpful video. It also fixes problem with long warm up times. My Phantom 3 Professional is working great since following this.
The surface used to calibrate the IMU must be perfectly level. Not just close to level. Use a spirit level in all directions of the surface to be sure. For cooling as mentioned in the video, I removed my battery, and hold my P3P in front of an air conditioner for 5 minutes. To allow cold DRY air to enter through battery space. The video will explain all. Hope this helps. -scott

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, done all that but no joy unfortunately. Might give it another punt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl