So much for the battery myth !! Non DJI batterys

Strange .... flying today ... used all batts ... 2 of which are non DJI ..... no prob's ....

My Club - we have many non DJI batts ... all good ... in fact the only bad batt was a DJI original that blew its board ! And THAT could have meant a failure IN FLIGHT ! Luckily it happened on the ground.

So why the paranoia about non DJI batterys ?

Nigel

It may sound barmy .... but the more people show their 'backs' to DJI for their ridiculous prices ... by buying 3rd party batterys - the more chance we have of getting DJI to rationalise their pricing.

But if people persist with this paranoid insistence to buy DJI .... DJI will continue to line the bank account via unrealistic pricing.

Many other products we use have had to rationalise due to 3rd party ... time for DJI to join the world ...

Nigel

Well I have three batteries, two non-genuine, for my Phantom3 4K, and can pick no difference whatsoever between the performance of genuine vs non-genuine. I have had the non genuine ones for over a year now.

DJI's prices are pure extortion.

Reactions: Simzy666 and Numone
I am not necessarily taking it too literally just putting the thought out there. Should something go wrong every part of the incident will be investigated by , in my case, the CAA and other authorities that we are required to report incidents to.
I was just wondering whether using non OEM parts might become a factor in incidents and investigations when trying to apportion blame. Rather like using non standard tyres on a car.
I do not fly with a model club as I wish to fly when I can and where I am allowed. Also the local club does not have access for those of us In wheels. I am currently doing my PfCO over here and should I be fortunate enough to pass the last part I will ask the insurers these questions. UK insurance, like many I guess, will be keen to deny liability at the slightest excuse. I would not want the give them that excuse.

I appreciate your position ... and I am a Brit and had my woes with UK insurance ...

You may like to investigate this Club aspect --- because the Rules coming in next couple of years time have the Club 'exclusion' part in ... it makes a significant difference to all RC flyers of all types.... only in EU of course.

If you are going for Commercial licencing - then its strict and compliance is required. As to whether a non genuine battery is accepted or not - that is debatable. Playing safe by using original is fair game. But it does not mean non genuine are bad ... as many can testify - as I can. Only odd ones do not work ... the vast majority work no different to originals.

Nigel

Every part I've inspected that shows where made.....surprise, it's China.
I guess that might be something to do with DJI being a Chinese company. But then again, if you look deep inside a Ford, GM or Fiat/Chrysler product, I've no doubt you'll find "Made in China" somewhere, or indeed brands which are as American as apple pie, like Dell, Apple, HP, Cray, Xerox, Kodak or IBM, all of whose products are built in China with Chinese components or are just screwdrivered "somewhere" with Chinese designed and produced components....

I have to laugh ... I cannot help it ..

The number of posts that I read ...

Logs will show non DJI battery - warranty voided

Non DJI battery will fail to fly - DJI will block it via APP

What a crock !!!!!

Yes I accept there are some really bad copies out there which MAY not work ... I do not say there are not. But to condemn all for that is rubbish.
Second I know of Warranty work conducted on P3's that have used non-DJI batterys extensively ... the question is in what context the warranty work was required ... IF the battery can be held accountable - then possible.... but unlikely.
I can even quote my own P3P which I collect tomorrow from DJI ... repaired under warranty and flown frequently prior to board failures on both DJI and non DJI batterys. No comments at all from DJI at all about their findings in logs.

I know there will be posts made telling me I'm wrong .... fair enough ... but proof is in my P3P and also others I personally know ...

Good news is - that I shall be back in the air after tomorrow ... !!

Nigel

What after market battery do you recommend?

I have often wondered what the insurance companies would say about a non oem battery, or any other component ,in and aircraft that crashed, and perhaps injures someone. The 'other side' may consider that the craft may not have been airworthy.
Are we perhaps obliged to use oem components to ensure that the aircraft is within the original specifications that it was originally produced with.
For us in the UK these devices are classed as aircraft and all rules that apply to full size aircraft also apply to our Phantoms where they are appilicable. One the owners of full size aircraft use. One oem components without absolute prooog they are of the same specification as the original? Perhaps some of the pilots on the forum may be able to help us there.
Yes, considered as an "aircraft" here in US as well. (as they truly are). And here in the US (land of liability lawsuits) I can almost certainly guarantee that "the other side" will raise the issue and if you were using anything but OEM that WILL certainly not work in your favor....regardless of how well they were working at the time.......of the horrible accident that YOU might have avoided if you were using the manufacturers recommended batteries. Am I wrong???

Sorry - I cannot agree with this OEM argument in event of incident.

Let's take a car .... each has recc'd Tyres. Size and even brand .... Many use alternative ..... let's even look back to the days of remould and retreads ..... I cannot think of any claim against owner for using such....

As I suggested - my understanding is that Commercial use will require use of items that were used when first registered. Note I do not say OEM ....

Nigel

What a crock !!!!!

Yes I accept there are some really bad copies out there which MAY not work ... I do not say there are not. But to condemn all for that is rubbish.
Second I know of Warranty work conducted on P3's that have used non-DJI batterys extensively ... the question is in what context the warranty work was required ... IF the battery can be held accountable - then possible.... but unlikely.
I can even quote my own P3P which I collect tomorrow from DJI ... repaired under warranty and flown frequently prior to board failures on both DJI and non DJI batterys. No comments at all from DJI at all about their findings in logs.

I know there will be posts made telling me I'm wrong .... fair enough ... but proof is in my P3P and also others I personally know ...

Nigel

Which ones are you using?

The seller I used .... and all the others in my club ..... has stopped selling them ... unfortunately.

eBay seller "Kuentl" ...

We are now checking to find another reliable seller ....

As I understood - he got them from same factory as DJI .....

Nigel

Sorry - I cannot agree with this OEM argument in event of incident.

Let's take a car .... each has recc'd Tyres. Size and even brand .... Many use alternative ..... let's even look back to the days of remould and retreads ..... I cannot think of any claim against owner for using such....

As I suggested - my understanding is that Commercial use will require use of items that were used when first registered. Note I do not say OEM ....

Nigel
Nigel,
If you put a non-STC'd (FAA authorized) non-OEM part on your Cessna or Piper aircraft, you would be in violation. If the aircraft was involved in an "incident" and that part was discovered in the investigation....well, all I can say is I wouldn't want to be that pilot (or his A&P mech). So, we all agree that our drones are considered "aircraft" and not toys, it would stand to reason that our aftermarket non-OEM will have to pass the same scrutiny and require approval by FAA BEFORE we can use them. Granted, FAA isn't imposing that kind of regulations at the moment but we are just in the infancy of drone proliferation now. I fully expect similar regs for commercial drone use in the near future. Frankly, I buy the best tires I can afford to put on my vehicles...that includes the accessories I buy for my fleet of drones...My motto: "You get what you pay for"......The sweetness of a low price is often soured by poor quality my friend.

Here's a couple of the questions the authorities and/or DJI are going to ask after an incident:
1. Were you using the latest firmware and software?
2. Were you using OEM equipment?

How humorous do suppose they'll find it when you're unable to answer "yes" to those questions?

Nigel,
If you put a non-STC'd (FAA authorized) non-OEM part on your Cessna or Piper aircraft, you would be in violation. If the aircraft was involved in an "incident" and that part was discovered in the investigation....well, all I can say is I wouldn't want to be that pilot (or his A&P mech). So, we all agree that our drones are considered "aircraft" and not toys, it would stand to reason that our aftermarket non-OEM will have to pass the same scrutiny and require approval by FAA BEFORE we can use them. Granted, FAA isn't imposing that kind of regulations at the moment but we are just in the infancy of drone proliferation now. I fully expect similar regs for commercial drone use in the near future. Frankly, I buy the best tires I can afford to put on my vehicles...that includes the accessories I buy for my fleet of drones...My motto: "You get what you pay for"......The sweetness of a low price is often soured by poor quality my friend.

Authorised is NOT same as OEM ......

Many parts / items are authorised by Certification Authorities that are not OEM.

I agree that if a part contributes or has part to play in accident / incident - then I have no argument.

But you are making out that only OEM are allowed that is not strictly correct...

and you are also making the mistake that FAA is all over the world ... I do not live in USA ... we have our own CAA that is taking a much better look and attitude to the whole affair ... I am actually in the Discussion group ! We hold meetings to put together the guidelines for submission to Latvian CAA and to EU Committee ... in fact over this side of the pond - all are strongly against the 'knee-jerk' reactive policies of the FAA when it comes to Drones and RC model flying.

As to tyres - I too put good quality reputable on my vehicles ... but they are definitely NOT the recc'd brand of the vehicle manufacturer. I also use 3rd party items on my engines from reputable sources ... I will not pay excess pricing for Volvo ... when same part from literally same factory via another label is lower priced. I do not compromise safety in any way ... but I am also not daft with my money !

Do you always go to the Vehicle Dealership for service / repairs ?

Here's an example :

Volvo Dealer in Riga charges 60 Euros an hour labour ... service of my T5 XC70 is about 700 Euros with them. I have to drive 3hrs to get to them .. return trip about 40 euros. So all in about 740 Euros.

When I decided to get local non Volvo shop service my car ... they charged me 400 Euros all in ... AND showed me all the filters - engine / AC , items replaced, pointed out serviced items on the car ... with emphasis on those the Volvo Dealership had not even touched .... which included all AC filters and the engine oil filter ...

So much for OEM !!

Nigel

Reactions: Phill2 and Numone

What a crock !!!!!

Nigel
I myself don't like to use none DJI hardware, but anyone else try this car charger?

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 356
It may sound barmy .... but the more people show their 'backs' to DJI for their ridiculous prices ... by buying 3rd party batterys - the more chance we have of getting DJI to rationalise their pricing.

But if people persist with this paranoid insistence to buy DJI .... DJI will continue to line the bank account via unrealistic pricing.

Many other products we use have had to rationalise due to 3rd party ... time for DJI to join the world ...

Nigel
Sorry Nigel, thats not the way the world works most of the time.

DJI didn't put in battery detection to as a favor to you or me. They did it in a self preservation sense. First in the sense that they need to know if a non-oem battery was in use during a failed flight. For warranty claims most likely. Second, Their corporate greed structure will not make them lower the price to compete with 3rd party batteries, they will simply add more firmware tests and shut the birds down again. Lowering their prices is simply not on their to-do list as #1 manufacturer of drones. They didn't put the battery check in until the market became threatening to their battery sales, and their reaction was not to lower prices, but to lock out the competition.

Apple has exactly the same mentality. When the market began to threaten Apple's sales of secondary chargers, what did they do? Lower their prices? Nope. They put in detection software to shut down use of 3rd party chargers. This is how corporate greed operates in the real world.

And so does Microsoft. Guess what happened to Xboxes when Microsoft found that their market sales was slipping for extra drives? Lower their price? Phsh. No. They rolled out firmware that bricked and locked the xbox if a non-microsoft hard drive was installed.

What did Epson and HP do when their ink sales were threatened on their printers? They chipped the cartridges so that only THEIR ink cartridges would work. It didn't make the printer print any better. All it did was make their market share of supplies better. And if they could figure out how to make you buy only their paper, I 100% guarantee they would make it happen and I guarantee their market campaign would tout they are protecting you and the printer from these 3rd party devils.

And on it goes. The smarter the devices we have get, the more and more companies will lock those down to prevent 3rd party accessories.

Batteries are not DJI's only hold on us. At least those of us with a RAW camera. The 512g SSD drive for the X5R is about the most expensive (per gig) SSD on the planet. Guess why? Because they can. Modified connectors prevent the average Joe from buying and plugging in anything else. And if they managed to get past the connector issue... Custom firmware in the drive prevents using anything else. One of the best SSD drives on the planet costs a mere $170 or so for 512g. The DJI one costs $750 from DJI and $300 from B&H. Same storage size. 2 to 4 times the price. No reason other than greed and because they control the firmware. That simple.

Personally, I disagree with your thought that if enough people stop using DJI batteries they will lower their prices. In my estimation, not happening. If they were far down on the drone totem pole and not the world leader on it, maybe, because they would be hungry for more market share. But they are at the top and they didn't get there by playing nice. My forecast is that if enough people turn to 3rd party batteries, they will fix that via firmware, and now with everyone happily moving to the latest firmwares with require forced upgrades, they gocha by the canastas.

Remember, all these firmware updates are for your protection. Right? No.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you on the whole. But there is also the actions of more countries fighting AND breaking the Monopolies that companys strive to maintain and INCREASE.

The EU is a leader in this, it broke Microsofts actions to restrict in EU ... and they were not only one to get shot in the neck. Unfortunately - not enough countries are getting on the wagon with the EU ... but they are coming round. USA for some strange reason has not adopted the strategy, but I reckon will eventually join the fold.

The Printer topic is interesting one actually .. Yes the big boys did try to lock out others - but in the end it has failed. Trouble is the information to circumvent is not promulgated sufficiently. It has been known for long time how to cheat the chips simply and without trouble. The printer companies have in fact locked THEMSELVES into this and cannot get out of it now. It would mean revamping the machines - not the chips ! What actually fails now - if you know how to cheat the chip - is the foam insert collapses over time with ink solvent.

The price of normal High Voltage LiPo 4S ~5000mAh is about $50 - 70 .... allow another $5 for the mass produced charge board that DJI claim as Intelligent ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl