Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Snapped a gimbal casting .. Ratz!

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by richardtomcat, Feb 20, 2016.

1. richardtomcat

A nasty wind gust took my P3P into a tree and a hard fall snapping the arm casting that rotates the gimbal left to right. Find attached a pic. #1 was apart of the #2 casting and snapped from the top of #2 leaving a hole in the #2 housing. The snapped surface of #4 fits into the visible vertical flange #3. You can't see where it snapped because of the ribbon cable. Hard holding the copter, camera and snapped gimbal so it would be in focus. Took 9-pics before I got a good pic. There are 2-red arrows involved with #3/#4 showing the snapped casting areas. #5 points at the edge of the ribbon cable. That edge is normally sealed. There is a split and I can see some copper wires although unbroken. I will assume the cable must be replaced.
    It appears as thought the ribbon cable unplugs .. but I'm not sure. This is a touchy area and castings are usually difficult to impossible to weld at this size. Have an awesome welder as my neighbor and will be showing him what happened. Camera/lens appear good. In my world this is major. Opinions/thoughts. Snapped Casting.jpg

2. NRJ

NRJ

I think you may have meant solderer rather than welder. Welding is for wrought iron, gates, planks and more. This is precision equipment. By the same token, a ribbon cable is socketed. You never solder a ribbon cable. You plug it into the appropriate slot and lock the socket down. I would recommend you watch this guy and how he goes about fixing his gimbal/camera. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/printthread.php?t=2460080&pp=15&page=3

Sorry for your crash and Good luck.

richardtomcat likes this.
  3. richardtomcat

Didn't realize I suggested one would or could weld or solder a ribbon cable. I did mean "solder" in the sense of using a propane torch. My landlord/friend is a welder and I believe capable of such tasks. I have successfully removed the gimbal from the mount plate attached to the bottom of the bird and unplugged the 2-cables. The ribbon cable will have to be replaced and they are available through DJI for $35. If my friend isn't confident or his labor will be as much as a new 'yaw" arm I'll probably get the arm. I'm still in a research mode. The entire gimbal assembly w/camera from DJI goes for $539. I just love YouTube. This gentleman, in real time, takes just over 25 minutes to replace the gimbal motor cabling and also exposes the yaw arm assembly.
    DJI Phantom 3 broken gimbal repair - YouTube

4. NRJ

NRJ

Actually the same happened to me. But in my repairs which were many. I ended up spending at least $200 before getting a new camera. BTW, there is a guy where I got my new camera DJI P3A HD for $379.99 at slicktron, I think on ebay. Anyway back to my repairs. I spent money good after bad on ribbon cables that were defective or only partially worked. I thought I had it fixed and it was up and running and then found it had a shimmy on the camera. That's when I got my new camera, saved money and I'm up and running again, like brand new. Good luck to you and happy flying.

richardtomcat likes this.
  5. Robert Balk

Have you fixed your problem? Is the gimbal (top part) for sale?

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app