Should I update Firmware?

I thought I had escaped the doom after updating and flying around with no issues at all -- loving precision landing finally on the P4!! Had none of the problems others were having. Did a nearly 3 mile distance flight.

It all went to hell today, however, and for me the causus belli was recording video. Flying a few days ago after I upgraded, I didn't have an SD card in the bird, so didn't record anything. Today, with recording active, the camera acted like it was posessed, flipping around and then pointing at the lower front corner of the left landing gear (seemed like the camera was calibrating), flight control was wonky, and it kept disconnecting from the RC.

Fly without recording video, and it flies like a champ.

A ton of other people are having similar issues, particularly with the camera. I'm off to downgrade back to the previous version.

It is really a shame that many of the folks on this Forum don't take serious stock of all of the hundreds of warnings about the last release of firmware and just how much it can really screw up your Drone setup that you paid top dollars for and expect to work correctly and safely ... and certainly not erratically. I hate to hear of stories like this that could have been prevented if people would heed the warnings so many have unselfishly published.

I am usually one of those that updates as soon as it comes out. For some reason I did not do it this time, thank goodness. I really hope DJI makes this right, been quite awhile with no fix. I heard they are sending beta fixes to some.

I only recently purchased a used P4 and it came with firmware 01.02.0602. It flies great so I will not be updating to
the latest firmware for a while yet, to much could go wrong.

I am usually one of those that updates as soon as it comes out. For some reason I did not do it this time, thank goodness. I really hope DJI makes this right, been quite awhile with no fix. I heard they are sending beta fixes to some.
A word to the wise ... DJI has definitely proven they can not always be trusted to get it right for every release, therefore my advice is to NEVER load the update when it 1st comes out ... wait for a month or so to listen to the masses and see if it is really OK. If so, then load it.

Reactions: Geoelectro
I just bought a P4. It has an IMU error. When I try to calibrate, the ACC1 has a Data Error. After sitting for 20 minutes it never moves beyond step 1 of 6. I called about returning it and was told to update the Firmware. After reading this thread, and others, I'm reluctant to do that. I also noticed that the last post was 9/1/17. So, has DJI fixed the update? Is it safe to install now? I'll have to check what my current levels are. I just want to verify the steps. THE Manual says to use the Assistant 2 on a computer, but you can use the DJI GO app. Does one work better than the other? THE manual doesn't say which to update first, RC or P4, but most threads say do the RC first. I need to get this done ASAP so I can return it if the firmware update doesn't cure the ACC1 problem.

Thanks!

My DJI Go app says the Aircraft Status as the Lastest Firmware.

I can't find the firmware version on my P4.
RC is 1.9.3
App and AC Data base are both 01.00.01.04
App version is 4.1.2

Guess I'll go search DJI website and see if I can find out what the latest versions are supposed to be.

I just bought a P4. It has an IMU error. When I try to calibrate, the ACC1 has a Data Error. After sitting for 20 minutes it never moves beyond step 1 of 6. I called about returning it and was told to update the Firmware. After reading this thread, and others, I'm reluctant to do that. I also noticed that the last post was 9/1/17. So, has DJI fixed the update? Is it safe to install now? I'll have to check what my current levels are. I just want to verify the steps. THE Manual says to use the Assistant 2 on a computer, but you can use the DJI GO app. Does one work better than the other? THE manual doesn't say which to update first, RC or P4, but most threads say do the RC first. I need to get this done ASAP so I can return it if the firmware update doesn't cure the ACC1 problem.

Thanks!
My DJI Go app says the Aircraft Status as the Lastest Firmware.

I can't find the firmware version on my P4.
RC is 1.9.3
App and AC Data base are both 01.00.01.04
App version is 4.1.2

Guess I'll go search DJI website and see if I can find out what the latest versions are supposed to be.
HI 4.1.18 I think latest on android,drone must be on for version to show,firmware version should be general settings at very bottom says "about " ...IMU, the 6 step are you following the illustration movement,if it show's picture copy it's move on drone,or is it frozen,picture won't change till move copied..1.9.3.I'm sure is newest for remote,just the acc got old firmware.new firmware number should be 02.00.0106 aircraft and 1.9.3 remote

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh that bit strange actually because when installing djigo4 it should have given you the latest playstore update.could try playstore and mayby it's got a update waiting ,bit odd to how remote had new 1.9.3 installed,must be fresh of the shelve, good to read you had flight aswell,cool ay,

Well I found a newer Apk file fir my Kindle. I wonder why the older DJI GO 4 app didn't update on it's own. Must be one of the advantages of using Google Play instead of side loading. The other interesting thing is my cell phone has the latest go 4 version and it won't callibrate the IMU either. Guess it's time to call up the place I got it from and send it back.
Anyone else got ideas before I return it?

Well I found a newer Apk file fir my Kindle. I wonder why the older DJI GO 4 app didn't update on it's own. Must be one of the advantages of using Google Play instead of side loading. The other interesting thing is my cell phone has the latest go 4 version and it won't callibrate the IMU either. Guess it's time to call up the place I got it from and send it back.
Anyone else got ideas before I return it?
Just checking when IMU be done is it like stuck on a picture even after you put p4 in same position,I have to say I stared at pic for while before I realize I had to put drone like in picture,it won't change unless you copies it , or is it just not working when you follow the instuction,,what happens after you press start

The first picture shows on it's landing gear on a flat surface. I don't know if it needs to be printed a certain direction from the RC or not.

The first picture shows on it's landing gear on a flat surface. I don't know if it needs to be printed a certain direction from the RC or not.
Yip that correct,just have it facing same way as picture shows,then it should change to another pic and so on.I think the last one is upside down

FYI ... DJI has NOT fixed their last released version of software/firmware. The last one that worked without issues was version '503'.

Okay, guess I need to find out how to go to an older firmware. Thanks! Back to the search box for me....

Just to make sure I'm not running off half cocked sine I've owned my P4 less than a week, which Firmware we talking about? The P4's, or the RC? I'm guessing the P4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka