Should I forsake the Shield and get myself a new iPad Air instead??

Shield or iPad Air ?

• Shield / Android

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • iPad / iOS

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've been mulling it over , and the performance of the DJI apps on the Apple line seems to be much more robust with a slew of updates and what seem like a priority from the industry.

Is there a particular drawback to this line of thinking? Will I be losing out on anything , functionality or performance wise that I am unaware of?

Please comrades, help me in my decisions !

Unless you fly from boats (for dynamic home point changing), I don't see a use for the apple products. Overpriced and some of them have the heating errors (not sure which).

Why spend $300 on an apple tablet that might stop working after a flight, when you can spend $150 for a shield that will always work?

Reactions: deltamike
The iOS version is way better than the Android version from multiple feedback on this forum. They also do not update the Android app as fast or with the same features as the iOS app.

I have like 5 different android devices and I tried them all over and over tweaking settings and anything I could think of and always had trouble with them getting hot about mid flight and the app would start freezing up. I really really dont like apple products but bought an ipad mini 2 just for my phantom and it has been flawless doesnt get hot and smooth as can be on fpv video feed. Not saying apple products are bad, just to me they are overpriced for what they are, and dont like the locked down part of them. But you can always jailbreak them but still no android lol.

The Android app has this feature just the same as the Apple app does.
You just need to have the more expensive Ipad to use it if you go Apple.

Oh. I had no idea.

Then what exactly does the iOS version have that android doesn't?

Anyways OP, I haven't had any issues with my Shield and the price is fantastic compared to apple products.

I just switched from android to a new iPad Air. Seems to have more features plus the sexy lady voice!
Android version also has that voice.

The apps are very similar .
The only differences I see are that IOS has the simulator and also shows stick movements, height and speed during replay from the flight records.

Unless you fly from boats (for dynamic home point changing), I don't see a use for the apple products. Overpriced and some of them have the heating errors (not sure which).

Why spend $300 on an apple tablet that might stop working after a flight, when you can spend $150 for a shield that will always work?

Stop working after a flight? I've used an N9 and an iPad Air 2 and guess one gave me problems...

It pains me to say it wasn't the iPad.

Stop working after a flight? I've used an N9 and an iPad Air 2 and guess one gave me problems...

It pains me to say it wasn't the iPad.

Yeah there's at least one version of the ipad (not sure which since I don't use any apple products) that numerous people have reported having to resell or return because it would overheat mid flight on the first battery.

Yeah there's at least one version of the ipad (not sure which since I don't use any apple products) that numerous people have reported having to resell or return because it would overheat mid flight on the first battery.

It was probably one of the iPad mini versions. I've had no issues flying with my iPad Air 2.

I like when people have to specifically point out "I don't use any Apple products", like they won't be cool anymore if they do. Haha Just bugging you Nick.

I was using a Galaxy tablet, can't remember which, but it was last year's model we couldn't sell so I grabbed it, and the app crashed a lot, multiple times during single flights. I used my iPhone 6 a lot of the time and had no issues. Recently got the iPad Air 2 and couldn't be happier. Lots of great reviews about the anti-glare screen, but I'm a little disappointed in that part - seems the same as a mini to me when I'm outside - always turning so my head blocks the sun. Haha

Awesome feedback from the crew.

I probably should've elaborated a little more and stated that I already OWN a Shield Tablet ( Currently waiting for my recall replacement) and have been having problems with the video going black, choppy feed and astronomical amounts of heat after the flight( with out without video caching enabled) I shouldn't need an oven mitt to handle my tablet after I'm done using it.

another parameter I also should've added would be to get the one that is Cellular enabled or just stick to WiFi only.

another parameter I also should've added would be to get the one that is Cellular enabled or just stick to WiFi only.
Everyone will tell you that you don't NEED cellular, but without it you don't get GPS. My personal opinion is, may as well get cellular for the GPS, plus I use it for more than just the DJI app, so network anywhere I have service is a plus. It really depends on what your use of it will be like, and if you care about having to cache your maps before flying (I never know when or where I might stop to fly, so caching doesn't work for me).

My iPad Air doesn't overheat like others claim. It's a perfect size/weight for my P3P. And this is coming from a hardcore PC, Anti-Apple guy... but... I have to admit... It works better for this application, and a few others.

Ipad mini 2 with cellular ftw! Its perfect size, light on the hands and stable on the clamp. I also have the ipad air 2 but i hate the size, it wobbles on my controller and just to big and heavy. Luckly for my wife she can now play that farm game on a big screen lol.

Does the new firmware upgrade help in the overheating too? I just switched to the ipad air2 and can notice the difference already. Struggled with my nexus 7 last nite.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94