Shell replacement

Reaction score
Is it better to desolder motor leads from board or is it ok to cut and splice? I am a little hesitant to mess with the circuit board but do not want to hinder power to motors by splicing. Thanks in advance.

Desolder/resolder is better mechanically and neatness but electrically it doesn't matter. Use proper size heat shrink tubing for splice. Resulting length of leads can be cumbersome.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The wires that come with a new motor have a coating on them that are coated all the way down to the tinned ends of the wire. I will never try to splice a motor wire again. I will always desolder at the main board and solder at the same spot. Also make sure you use a quality Iron because if you leave the iron on there too long you stand a chance of burning the motherboard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I will just replace the bottom half since the top half is not broken. Bottom half cracked from a crash. I had read where someone else tried to solder and splice and said he could not get a good solder because of something on the motor wires. I will eventually have to replace the top and will be prepared to desolder / solder the leads at that time.

Take your time and you can get it done. First time it took me 4 hours to do a body swap. After 50 repairs or so, now it only takes 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Is desoldering and soldering as simple as lightly pulling on each motor lead while heating the solder at each connection and then reheating the solder and sticking the wire back into the heated solder ; or, will I need to tin each motor lead, remove existing solder from board, and then use solder/flux to reattach the leads?

New motor leads are already tinned. If you are temporarily disconnecting the motor, of course the leads are tinned.
I'd say a 30-40 watt would be good. If you have temperature control, a higher wattage would be OK. The quicker you can melt the solder, the less damage you'll do with excessive heat. Flux is optional but often helps. Use sparingly.
Wait for solder to melt, then pull on lead or stick in lead depending if installing or removing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl