Serious RTH firmware bug, are you seeing it?

I'm not certain how to do that, I can't access the .txt log for manual uploading because it is stored on a P4P+ display unit and I don't think I have direct access to the directory. I have synced my flight logs to DJI via the DJI GO app, I assume that uploads the logs automatically. There are also the large .DAT logs stored on the aircraft, not sure if that should be sent or how to send it.
Are you able to install HD Sync on the P4P+ display?

I meet exactly the same concern of altitude of the drone when one RTH for activating the time

DJI responds by declaring that a next update of the firmware will solve the problem

it is hoped that this bug is related to the software provided, this may be due to a design error and this probability is not to exclude

For info, for a RTH set at 30 meters height the drone is mounted up to 163 meters and I don't know how high it would have gone if I had not interrupted the RTH and recovered the P4Pro manually

The tests I've done: - change units (meter / imperial) - disable collision sensors - orientation of the drone from the Sun
-> no effect on this malfunction

I remain surprised that DJI never to be preview of this serious problem prior to sale of this new drone

Reactions: andrewkhoo
I meet exactly the same concern of altitude of the drone when one RTH for activating the time

DJI responds by declaring that a next update of the firmware will solve the problem

it is hoped that this bug is related to the software provided, this may be due to a design error and this probability is not to exclude

For info, for a RTH set at 30 meters height the drone is mounted up to 163 meters and I don't know how high it would have gone if I had not interrupted the RTH and recovered the P4Pro manually

The tests I've done: - change units (meter / imperial) - disable collision sensors - orientation of the drone from the Sun
-> no effect on this malfunction

I remain surprised that DJI never to be preview of this serious problem prior to sale of this new drone
You must have missed the part where we early adopters are DJI's free Beta testers! We do it because we love the end results, but the process can be painful and slow!:cool:

Hello GadgetGuy
I probably missed something, but I know he is still allowed to wonder what such a bug either unnoticed : it is the first thing I saw at the first exit in a RTH !
First flight : RTH at 220 meters...
Second flight : RTH at 163 meters...
(RTH set at 30 meters ! and the flight was under 60 meters for 120 meters allowed where i flight)

or
Another hypothesis: it is a problem of design of the drone, and one can imagine a sensor problem for which the clouds or sun are obstacles...

However, it is not required to operate the RTH to land a drone...

Just to double check. I'm aware it will disregard preset RTH altitude value but will it also disregard "Max altitude" value? From what I've read it will still stay under 500m ceiling enforced by firmware.
That I don't know.

I and one other P4P owner (so far) have noted an odd and potentially dangerous RTH behavior: Upon either a manually commanded or failsafe RTH the unit will climb continuously while enroute back to home point until it is either stopped by manually exiting RTH, or finally reaches its home point (at which point it will begin a vertical decent.) As far as we can tell the unit will ascend continuously until stopped, or at least we haven't experienced a limit. The pre-set RTH altitude setting seems to have no effect on this behavior.

This is obviously a serious bug since it could potentially cause loss of the aircraft and/or present a danger to other air traffic. The problem may not be noticed over short horizontal distances but over longer routes it is dramatic.

Can you all please see if you can duplicate this behavior? If it is happening on two units it is probably happening on more.
I had the same problem!! could not get a straight answer from DJI Support, they are pretty much worthless. So out of desperation, I deleted everything on the Bird, Controller, and Tablet, and did a hard reset on everything. Reloaded all software on Android Tablet, Bird, and Controller. It fixed my issue, not only did I have a problem like your's but on Take off, instead of just hovering at 3 to 4 feet it would continue to climb. But do a hard reset on everything, this should fix your issue as it did mine.

I'm a newbie. Was flying at about 150 feet elevation and maybe 400 feet away (no obstacles) and hit RTH. Aircraft started going straight up, I got a bit panicked and cancelled RTH, it went to hover and I brought it back manually

I had the same problem!! could not get a straight answer from DJI Support, they are pretty much worthless. So out of desperation, I deleted everything on the Bird, Controller, and Tablet, and did a hard reset on everything. Reloaded all software on Android Tablet, Bird, and Controller. It fixed my issue, not only did I have a problem like your's but on Take off, instead of just hovering at 3 to 4 feet it would continue to climb. But do a hard reset on everything, this should fix your issue as it did mine.
Hoe does one do a hard reset? I'm on the P4P+ Thank you

Hoe does one do a hard reset? I'm on the P4P+ Thank you
Deleted all SD Cards Factory reset on Tablet, Installed the newest ver. of DJI Assistant 2 on home computer just came out 6 or 7 days ago. plugged in P4P into Computer, Factory reset on the Bird, then installed latest firmware on the Bird. Then did Calibration in DJI Assistant, Then installed DJI Go 4 software on Tablet. Turned off Bird, Tablet, then connected tablet to the remote, turned on remote, turned on tablet, once tablet started Dji go 4 started, then turned on Bird, then did all Calibrations. Turned everything off then turned it all back on in sequence, and FLEW THAT BABY!!! No Problems as of yet 10 Flights since hard reset. Good Luck to you Sir, I know I was sick at my Stomach when I didn't have full control of my Bird.

Until this bug is fixed, the workaround is to simply set your RTH elevation to higher than you will ever be flying during your flight, which is what it should be anyway, as, that way, elevation during RTH to your preset RTH height, will usually restore any signal loss caused by being too low, within 10-20 feet of elevating, and you can then cancel RTH, and take over manual control, and sally forth. If you are always lower than your set RTH, the bug will never affect you. Just raise your RTH elevation! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes
Your issue is different. Sounds like you just had to reload firmware to fix some odd issues. This RTH bug is a known bug DJI is working on.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm a newbie. Was flying at about 150 feet elevation and maybe 400 feet away (no obstacles) and hit RTH. Aircraft started going straight up, I got a bit panicked and cancelled RTH, it went to hover and I brought it back manually
What is your RTH height set to? This sounds normal. Remember RTH height is set in meters even if using imperial.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna