Sending my bird to Dji today..

Reaction score
Im having an issue with my gimbal which keeps facing slightly to the right.. did calibrations over and over.. this is my first issue and send it back to them..only one month old .. anyway does anyone know more or less the turnaround time to get my bird back..i live in massachusetts..

Just sent mine back. They will send you a shipping label and it takes about 5-7 days to get there (ups ground). I'm sure you're nervous as the rest of us. Mine only 6 weeks old. They say 5-7 business days of turn around. Over all 3-4 weeks minimum. I've heard very bad stories and good stories on here. I can't personally comment yet on service. They got mine last weds and haven't gotten any notification yet. Plan on calling every 2 days to keep on them. Hope all goes well.

Just sent mine back. They will send you a shipping label and it takes about 5-7 days to get there (ups ground). I'm sure you're nervous as the rest of us. Mine only 6 weeks old. They say 5-7 business days of turn around. Over all 3-4 weeks minimum. I've heard very bad stories and good stories on here. I can't personally comment yet on service. They got mine last weds and haven't gotten any notification yet. Plan on calling every 2 days to keep on them. Hope all goes well.

They burn a week or two of your warranty and Care Refresh time just getting it there. At least 2 weeks in queue there and another week to get back. And then, for something like you describe, it may or may not be fixed. (I have an MP that got there last Monday. No progress to date other than a "it's here" notice on Friday afternoon. Another work week burned up) - that's three weeks since they agreed to take it back for warranty repair).

As an indicator, UPS show it there on March 20, but DJI show it there on March 24 - very late in the day. Clock burning the warranty and Care Refresh.

I'd be hesitant to send it back. You will not get the same drone back. I already went thru the same process. Drone that came back has a camera that was slightly pointing to the left. Did you try the recommendation to turn off the drone and physically manipulate the camera in the direction it needs to be centered. Push it until you feel a little resistance. It should fix the issue.

I would def send it back if my camera was doing that. What else are you gonna do? Don't think I would just go pushing on stuff like the gimble hoping that will fix it.

The two times I've sent mine in it was a 2 week turn around from leaving me to in my hands again. Very good service for me[emoji106]

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I would def send it back if my camera was doing that. What else are you gonna do? Don't think I would just go pushing on stuff like the gimble hoping that will fix it.

Reference the DJI forums...

There techs recommend that the gimble be manually manipulated. The gimble rides on a rubber ring. Sometimes it becomes un centered during shipping or violent shaking. I did it to mine and has been good ever since.

The two times I've sent mine in it was a 2 week turn around from leaving me to in my hands again. Very good service for me[emoji106]
I had the same exact service last year with my P4. Put a new gimble and camera in and was back in 2 weeks. Can't beat that imo.

Reference the DJI forums...

There techs recommend that the gimble be manually manipulated. The gimble rides on a rubber ring. Sometimes it becomes un centered during shipping or violent shaking. I did it to mine and has been good ever since.
Thats good to know and appreciate you clearing that up too. Were they DJI techs?

Yeah, it is a common issue and a simple solution.

They use an elastic suspension (rubber/neoprene/something of that sort) and it has some "mechanical give" to it.

Lookup any of the videos showing the complete disassembly of the gimbal and you can see there is a set of end brackets that hold the entire suspension in place. The gimbal itself moves within that bracket "space" and if not centered it will be off to one side or another (along with not being centered you also have the issue of additional vibration being transmitted if the suspension is "pinched" one way or another). The fix is as said, rotate to the extreme in the other direction a few times to "pull" the suspension back into shape, then center the gimbal as best as you can.

The final tip from DJI was to do a gimbal calibration with the bird on it's back, ie with the camera facing upward with the bird resting on the back arms and landing gear. That allows the gimbal to have extra weight pulling it centered so that it calibrates as centered as possible.

Now, here is the bad news... With that much "slop" in the suspension you can easily throw it out again. So, personally, I just make sure I center the gimbal suspension before flight, do the "on the back" gimbal calibration and I never have to worry about it being off center.

Honestly, if you are going to be using a gimbal lock when putting it in the case then you are man-handling the gimbal enough that you should be doing that anyways all the time. I use not only the plastic gimbal lock supplied, but I also use the small grey gimbal isolator they also supply. With the isolator you are always mucking with the gimbal suspension, so it is a requirement.

Reactions: K9VXV
As an indicator, UPS show it there on March 20, but DJI show it there on March 24 - very late in the day. Clock burning the warranty and Care Refresh.

Those are the same exact dates with me. DJI rep even told me that they got it on the 20th but they show that they received it on the 24th even though I was told that it was being assessed on the 23rd. I called today and it's still being assessed...

I feel like this is why DJI is overwhelmed with returns...fixable items that with a little research can be fixed on your own.

Reactions: Kman
I feel like this is why DJI is overwhelmed with returns...fixable items that with a little research can be fixed on your own.

I have to agree. I think people are paranoid about these products because of their expense. If they were cheaper people won't mind "messing" with them. Honestly, the whole gimbal suspension setup is fairly forgiving and fluid, it is just that they didn't do much (and I don't know if there is any way to do more without a ton of more expense) to make sure things stay "centered". Honestly, the "ideal" system for their current design would be some sort of clamping system to move the gimbal setup to center then expand back out to keep the suspension under serious tension while flying. That would make sure center is held and that it would have "predictable" compliance. The issue is that a system like that would add to the complexity and expense. Also you don't want it to be stored with that much tension, so it would have to "lock" in place when you shut the bird down.

Again, a simple matter of rotating the gimbal from extreme to extreme and back to center along with a gimbal calibration with the bird pointing up takes care of gimbal centering issues.

I have to agree. I think people are paranoid about these products because of their expense. If they were cheaper people won't mind "messing" with them. Honestly, the whole gimbal suspension setup is fairly forgiving and fluid, it is just that they didn't do much (and I don't know if there is any way to do more without a ton of more expense) to make sure things stay "centered". Honestly, the "ideal" system for their current design would be some sort of clamping system to move the gimbal setup to center then expand back out to keep the suspension under serious tension while flying. That would make sure center is held and that it would have "predictable" compliance. The issue is that a system like that would add to the complexity and expense. Also you don't want it to be stored with that much tension, so it would have to "lock" in place when you shut the bird down.

Again, a simple matter of rotating the gimbal from extreme to extreme and back to center along with a gimbal calibration with the bird pointing up takes care of gimbal centering issues.

I'd like to see a video of that. Nothing fancy. Just so I know I'm not forcing the wrong part. (I don't have this issue so it's not urgent, but I'd like it in my bag of trickery and other voodoo).

ive tried everything posted here and cant get any results. this was due to landing in a tree, the rubber ring had slipped out and i put it back in..

ive tried everything posted here and cant get any results. this was due to landing in a tree, the rubber ring had slipped out and i put it back in..

The landing in the tree and damaging the drone is noticeably absent from your original post. Nevertheless good luck with the repair. Know that you will not get your same drone back.

thank you, as long as its in great condition and works ill be happy
The landing in the tree and damaging the drone is noticeably absent from your original post. Nevertheless good luck with the repair. Know that you will not get your same drone back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan