Self-Tightening or Self- Flying Props?

Reaction score
One prop must have been somewhat loose because it flew up straight into the air and spiralled down into the muddy river. From the moment it launched about 20 feet in the air to the moment it flew slightly out of reach past the fence into the raging river, I was amazed and in wonder about the self tightening claim that DJI markets their p4p with. The prop was definitely on, but it just wasn't 100%, so what happened to the self tightening part of their motor system?

RIP alcohol dyed Prop! All Good Though since there was a backup that made the bird fly again!

Those props snap in, they don't "self tighten". I think you're mixing up the term self tightening claim with the P3 line that used screw-on props that would self tighten. P4s have snap in, or clip in props. If you didn't check the prop before launch, it can come off if not properly seated. It's also possible the hub itself broke a tong that released the prop. Did you you closely look at the hub hooks, or tongs? Are they all there?

Reactions: N017RW
Its not really firm "self tightening". There is just not enough torque to tightening firmly. And, when you reverse thrust, suddenly, you could actually do the opposite, and loosen the prop. Always tighten manually.

They don't reverse thrust.
It's important to understand the difference between deceleration and reversing.

Those props snap in, they don't "self tighten". I think you're mixing up the term self tightening claim with the P3 line that used screw-on props that would self tighten. P4s have snap in, or clip in props. If you didn't check the prop before launch, it can come off if not properly seated. It's also possible the hub itself broke a tong that released the prop. Did you you closely look at the hub hooks, or tongs? Are they all there?
Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that the p4p had some kind of lock in system where a slightly loose prop can tighten itself upon motor startup. I immediately used a backup prop, and it flew flawlessly, and then the phantom got pelted with HAIL out of nowhere. I am now drying the phantom, remote, and cell phone since they were all pooling with water drops. Hopefully it still works!

Its not really firm "self tightening". There is just not enough torque to tightening firmly. And, when you reverse thrust, suddenly, you could actually do the opposite, and loosen the prop. Always tighten manually.
It is not a boat friend. You do not reverse the props to slow down, you reverse the direction the drone is tilted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan