Schoolboy error

Reaction score
I travel to Belfast for work meetings a lot. Passing Hillsborough there's a monument about half a mile away so I decided that upon returning from today's meeting, I'd try and find it and make a clip. Looks like an interesting spot, 130 foot stone monument of the Third Marquis of Hillsborough, from 1848. Nice.

Arrived at the site, found the big open field all looked good apart from the wind that had picked up quite a bit. "I'll send her up a few feet and see what it looks like", I thought. Cached up the map in the waypoints page, 8 satellites, compass dance all done (30 miles away from home location, so just to be sure), two burst of green flashes followed by one steady single green flash, all looking good.

Got airbourne, 2-3m up holding station quite nicely. "Ok let's start recording and have a go", I thought. Pressed record...

No SIM card.

Feck!

LOL! thanks for sharing, this has happened to me once (that i'll admit to) already! I've since penciled it into my preflight checklist.

+1 :lol:
32GB in the bird and the original 4GB in the case :cool:

32GB card in bird, 4GB card in car!! never again!!! never!!!! lol ya that sucks... been there.

I did that on my 5th flight, last Friday! I spent 20 minutes flying around with a bit more bravado than usual only to realize after my first battery warning that I hadn't turned on the video. With moments left, I jacked her up high, turned on the video and recorded some brief and boring sights. ;)

happydays said:
I travel to Belfast for work meetings a lot. Passing Hillsborough there's a monument about half a mile away so I decided that upon returning from today's meeting, I'd try and find it and make a clip. Looks like an interesting spot, 130 foot stone monument of the Third Marquis of Hillsborough, from 1848. Nice.

Arrived at the site, found the big open field all looked good apart from the wind that had picked up quite a bit. "I'll send her up a few feet and see what it looks like", I thought. Cached up the map in the waypoints page, 8 satellites, compass dance all done (30 miles away from home location, so just to be sure), two burst of green flashes followed by one steady single green flash, all looking good.

Got airbourne, 2-3m up holding station quite nicely. "Ok let's start recording and have a go", I thought. Pressed record...

No SIM card.

Feck!

Does your phone have SD?
I know most Android have expandable slots.

happydays said:

No SIM card.

Feck!

Very well written, with a surprise ending that I both relate too and laugh at. Today I took my FC40 to show some guests at my RV park and I forgot the whole camera. Then when I flew for them I forgot to record. It is because I had a couple days off from flying I forgot the checklist. A couple other things your post made me think of, one is the wind, there can be no wind until I go outside and get ready to fly, then the wind starts.. whats the deal with that. The other thing your post made me think is to ask, Are you going back? To see your "130 foot stone monument of the Third Marquis of Hillsborough, from 1848." As you said that would be "nice" Also I am trying to learn different video techniques that help make a video more appealing. I look forward to your video.

Hehe. Made me laugh
Twice I've forgotten to stop recording before switching the Phantom off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice...

I wanted to shoot over a pond on a golf course. So... I hiked about a quarter mile carrying the case, to get there. I got all set up and was ready to go when I couple of golfers showed up at the tee. I let them hit, and waited for them to get to the next tee box... When I was finally set to launch... yeah. Same thing. :shock:

So... Shut it down, put it all back in the case and commenced to march all the way back to the car. :(

I have a couple of 4GB in a box in the case, one in my wallet and I doubt I'll ever leave the house without the 32GB in the slot again... (Though I admit I did just that, but wasn't able to fly, due to the wind... Next day I spotted the SD plugged into an adapter on my PC) :oops:

-slinger

Finally, but worth the wait :lol: :lol:

happydays said:
Double-D said:
Hehe. Made me laugh
Twice I've forgotten to stop recording before switching the Phantom off.

You can fix that. Just pop the SD card back in and switch the Phantom back on - it will finalise the video.

CBS

Thanks for that..... Ahhh Happydays :D

One of my most common errors (no micro-SD card). And I don't know of a way to avoid it unless a spare is somehow attached to the bird at least when the flight card is removed for downloading. In fact that is probably a good idea. You could glue an adapter somewhere on the bird and keep a spare card in the adapter.

Great video, it is not often you get a close up view of a sculpture atop a 100+' monument.

What software do you use to do your editing? It is very well done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna