Safe Places To Fly Around Los Angeles / Torrance / Huntingdon Beach

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Likely to be vacationing in the Los Angeles area in early October and looking for places within an hours drive of the Manhattan Beach area to fly my drone.

Have done an awful lot of reading of the forums over the past few days and I have read many regulation articles from the local authorities on Google too about flying in the Southern California area which has left me slightly confused so I am hoping that people here can guide me with suggestions as to where I can fly legally and without upsetting anyone!

Very keen to capture some shots of the coastline. Would also be happy to meet and fly with people on here too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello everyone,

Likely to be vacationing in the Los Angeles area in early October and looking for places within an hours drive of the Manhattan Beach area to fly my drone.

Have done an awful lot of reading of the forums over the past few days and I have read many regulation articles from the local authorities on Google too about flying in the Southern California area which has left me slightly confused so I am hoping that people here can guide me with suggestions as to where I can fly legally and without upsetting anyone!

Very keen to capture some shots of the coastline. Would also be happy to meet and fly with people on here too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You could not have picked a more congested, complex and controlled airspace in the USA to want to fly in. Santa Monica, Zamperini, Northrup, and Long Beach airports are all Class D controlled, in varying sizes, from the surface to the varying overlying restricted airspace's. A portion of LAX area from Manhattan Beach to Santa Monica is Class C controlled from surface to 10,000. It's kind of pointless for me to try and make you aware of all of the airspace rules in that area, via the internet, and not face to face. If we were sitting together, I could, in about (1) hour, show you what you are up against regarding FAA Airspace requirments. I have no idea about state, city, parks, marina's, or beach ordinances, etc.
My recommendation?
A. Wait until you are there and stumble onto someone flying. He MAY be aware of the complex airspace and possible surface rules, and MAY be flying legally. You could fly where he fly's, if you feel comfortable.
B. If you really have "pinpoint", specific places, that you have in mind, mark them on a map and shoot me the link. I will be happy to make you aware of the airspace rules for those exact areas.

Wow, go to SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts and put klgb in the flight plan box and click go. Then give Crack the Sky a call. Class B, Class C and Class E all clamoring for attention there. You may be able to fly!
You are correct about being able to fly, even with quite a bit of Class D, in the area too. The beauty of learning to read charts and understanding airspace with confidence, is that you can actually fly a lot of legal places that can easily be lost in the serious looking goobly goop.

Come to New Zealand! Most of the country is a safe area and the rules are really simple around airports. Other than major controlled airspace around a few big airports you just have to keep 4 kms away. CAA has a great website that also tells you about local authority rules which are not too onerous. You just have to check. Even better the DJI controller will give you a message near tiny airports like Mount Cook that you are about to enter your airspace and the drone will hover and refuse to go further. How do they do that by the way?

I'd hike up the Hollywood Sign. I called Burbank tower before I hiked all the way to top and got some great footage. They were very laid back about it...just wanted name, registration number and how long I was going to be flying. You'll have to keep a look out for sight seeing helicopters. You don't need to hike all the way up...you could get a decent shot from the start of the trail.

I live in Los Angeles and looking for a place to fly. I've just been flying at the RC field in Balboa Park.

I'd hike up the Hollywood Sign. I called Burbank tower before I hiked all the way to top and got some great footage. They were very laid back about it...just wanted name, registration number and how long I was going to be flying. You'll have to keep a look out for sight seeing helicopters. You don't need to hike all the way up...you could get a decent shot from the start of the trail.

NICEEEEE!!! I did not know they had a control tower number to call. Plus i thought you had to have a permit .like 30 days in advance to do so.I could be wrong.

I live in Los Angeles and looking for a place to fly. I've just been flying at the RC field in Balboa Park.
everything is so far and few inbetween. I live in San Pedro and we use to fly RC planes and drones at 21 st landing at the park. Neighbors complained about the brushless motors. then we went to Field of dreams.One of the guys took up donations so we could fly...rent the park for a small time early Sunday mornings. I take my drone to the Korean bell or along the coast in that area. There are alot of guys who ridge sale RC planes over there also.fyi.

NICEEEEE!!! I did not know they had a control tower number to call. Plus i thought you had to have a permit .like 30 days in advance to do so.I could be wrong.
I don't know about a permit. I just called Burbank airport because I was within 5 miles and flying under hobby rules.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl