Sad to let go, but I have to

From your avatar, you're black.

Was the ranger white? Are you "droning while black"?

If so, raise a stink ... (downside of that is that they might consider an ordinance once the issue is raised).

Hahahaha! I don't think so, I probably choose the wrong day and time to fly at that particular location, it was a day after some heavy storms, so he was also turning cars away from the park. I parked on the street and get to where I usually fly, there were some people fishing on the other side, far away from me, several times park rangers, cops, has drove by me flying without any issues, maybe they didn't notice the drone [emoji12].
Also I'm an avid birder, and this ranger has once informed me of an Owl sightings around our area when he saw me with a big lens. So I don't think it's because of I'm black, that doesn't have anything to do in this case.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.
297b2e016222de4efd1638cd3c45ddf2.jpg
5dc869d24390dbfdacbf1a4cb6156617.jpg
I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.

I am sickened by what North America is becoming. It's like a nanny state where everything is becoming regulated so that we don't accidently hurt ourselves.

My God, how O long for the 1950's and 60's when NOTHING was outlawed, and there were barely any outlaws.

God help us all.

Bud

I did a Google search of Middlesex County resolutions and found that they did in fact pass a resolution regulating drone usage in county owned parks:

X. RESTRICTED USES AND AREAS

1. .............

2. No person shall coast with hand sleds, bobs, carts, skateboards or other vehicles or wheels or runners or use radio controlled devices such as, but not limited to, boats, remotely piloted aircraft, model airplanes, drones and cars except in areas and during times designated and posted for this purpose by the Director of County Parks and Recreation.

It's on Page 5 section X.2

http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Government/Departments/IM/Documents/Parks and Rec/2015 Rules and Regulations for the Office of Parks and Recreation.pdf

So the next question is what are the designated times and areas. Apparently the Park Ranger needs to brush up on his county resolutions. So I would call the office of the Director of County parks to get this information.

Hahahaha! I don't think so, I probably choose the wrong day and time to fly at that particular location, it was a day after some heavy storms, so he was also turning cars away from the park. I parked on the street and get to where I usually fly, there were some people fishing on the other side, far away from me, several times park rangers, cops, has drove by me flying without any issues, maybe they didn't notice the drone [emoji12].
Also I'm an avid birder, and this ranger has once informed me of an Owl sightings around our area when he saw me with a big lens. So I don't think it's because of I'm black, that doesn't have anything to do in this case.
COME UP TO MY LODGE I FLY HERE ALL THE TIME LOOK AT MY SITE AND IT IS THE BEST IN THE ADIRONDACKS LEDGEROCKROCKATWHITEFACE.COM WE ARE DRONE FRIENDLY

Reactions: kemzo and DougAles

This is the AMA website Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA Charter Club Search. You can put in your zip code and it will give you a list of flying fields within a 25 mile radius. I checked quick and it looked like there were some in your area. I just believe you have to sign up for a membership for $75.00 to use the fields. These are the first 3 that popped up.

442-480 Dunhams Corner Rd, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
300 Old Georges Rd, North Brunswick Township, NJ 08902
386-400 Grove Ave, Metuchen, NJ 08840

I also live in NJ, Red Bank area, and so far haven't had any issues with the local police or park rangers. I retired as a police officer last year. In my 25 years I've attended numerous legal update courses and have never once heard of any type of NJ statute or law regarding the use of a drone. You could always contact the county and ask if there are any resolutions that prohibit the use of UAV's in the county parks. Absent that, as long as you're following the FAA guidlines, being safe and not flying over anyone in the park I don't see the issue. Maybe, if there is no county resolution or municipal ordinance prohibiting their use, print out a copy of the FAA guidelines and speak with the ranger (in a non argumentative way) and showthem to him. If you get nowhere with him, move on to his supervisor. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.
The next time, if the ranger asks, show him your FAA registration--you should have one on the drone(mine is inside the battery compartment), and the second with you in your wallet or carrying case. That might be enough to impress him that YOU know what you're talking about!

The next time, if the ranger asks, show him your FAA registration--you should have one on the drone(mine is inside the battery compartment), and the second with you in your wallet or carrying case. That might be enough to impress him that YOU know what you're talking about!

Unfortunately he might know that anyone with an internet connection and a CC can get one in minutes.

Want to see my no-restrictions, worldwide drone license?

Reactions: kemzo
I'd be looking for advice from someone that knows what they are talking about.
From what you said, there's no indication your ranger is that person.
The county hasn't decided on the rules yet is very different from .. the county has ruled that flying is not allowed.
And county rules about whether flying is allowed in their parks has nothing to do with the FAA.
Just ask the Ranger for the Ordinance or Citation number that you are violating.

You should use some tools that are available to you so you know if it is legal to fly where you want to, all UAV pilots should try to educate themselves.
Checking airmap, https://app.airmap.io/

BRUNSWICK_AIRMAP.jpg

there is plenty of places to fly, anywhere outside of the colored circles.
(this is the commercial view which is more conservative then hobby)

Airmap is a great resource and is available on the web at the url above also as an app on iOS and android.
Checking Skyvector.com which is where you can look at the sectional map for the area (you should learn to read a sectional) you look to be ok also.

BRUNSWICK_SKYVECTOR.jpg

searching the city of new brunswick website for the terms UAV and also Drone I found no laws posted, searches came up empty.
City of New Brunswick

Searching the county of Middlesex I found:

Middlesex County
(Searching Drone/UAV finds nothing) But park laws are as follows.

Info About Middlesex County Parks

MIDDLESEX COUNTY OFFICE OF PARKS AND RECREATION RULES AND REGULATIONS

X. RESTRICTED USES AND AREAS

2. No person shall coast with hand sleds, bobs, carts, skateboards or other vehicles or wheels or runners or use radio-controlled devices such as, but not limited to,boats,remotely piloted aircraft, model airplanes,drones and cars except in areas and during times designated and posted for this purpose by the Director of County Parks and Recreation.

(so take off from the sidewalk not in the park to comply with the law)

Permits and Passes

Edison Park Flying Field
To obtain a yearly flying field permit for the field in Thomas Edison Park located in Edison Township, the following information must be provided by mail or in person: completed application, photocopy of driver’s license, photocopy of AMA card, photocopy of FAA registration, phone number, a list of any clubs you may be affiliated with, and payment.

Airplane Flying Field Application

Get the tools you need and use them, then you will be better educated and know where you can fly and where not.
Sectional Chart Users Guide:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Happy flying!

Last edited:
I would ask the ranger which unit he belongs to. Say you want to be sure to follow the rules and would like a copy of them. You would also like his badge # and chain of command.

I am sickened by what North America is becoming. It's like a nanny state where everything is becoming regulated so that we don't accidently hurt ourselves.

My God, how O long for the 1950's and 60's when NOTHING was outlawed, and there were barely any outlaws.

God help us all.

Bud
There's always a lawyer looking to make a buck, and the public looking for a payday.

COME UP TO MY LODGE I FLY HERE ALL THE TIME LOOK AT MY SITE AND IT IS THE BEST IN THE ADIRONDACKS LEDGEROCKROCKATWHITEFACE.COM WE ARE DRONE FRIENDLY

I'm trying to see if there are local drone regulations at Potter Mountain NY.

Google has not been a help.

My goal is to follow all rules / laws. I would like to create a video of a family member rock climbing with my drone.

Suggestions anyone?

Sheesh... there are a lot of people here who really know how to dish out advice that I'm certain they'd never undertake if an official was stood in front of them. No way would I start by winding-up any official by asking, telling or, in some cases, demanding they recite the law/bylaw/covenant/restriction they're imposing when they tell you to stop flying. I'd pack up and go and then get the facts and then, maybe I'd go and escalate the matter if I was that bothered. Unfortunately, there are many "jobsworths" in this world who think, because they have a peaked cap and an epualette shirt, think they're a member of the cast of Blue Bloods, and "do because they can" but eliminating them from the reasonable majority is never easy. In my experience in my younger days, taking a smartass attitude always got me absolutely knowhere except a clip round the ear (way back in the 70's!)

Reactions: kemzo and NJRUFan
Dear Kemzo,

May I suggest that you visit the Podcast Drone Law Today. This is run by a lawyer, Steven M. Hogan. It is an excellent resource. Once you sign up for his email you will be able to download two free books, one of which summarizes the law in all 50 states regarding the law as it applies to drones. I think you will find it very helpful.

Also, you have a great kit, but I just read that DJI is no longer going to sell the Phantom 3. You might take a real hit on the sales price.

You have some great pictures and seem to be very talented. Hate to see you give it up.

Good luck,
Chuck

Dear Kemzo,

May I suggest that you visit the Podcast Drone Law Today. This is run by a lawyer, Steven M. Hogan. It is an excellent resource. Once you sign up for his email you will be able to download two free books, one of which summarizes the law in all 50 states regarding the law as it applies to drones. I think you will find it very helpful.

Also, you have a great kit, but I just read that DJI is no longer going to sell the Phantom 3. You might take a real hit on the sales price.

You have some great pictures and seem to be very talented. Hate to see you give it up.

Good luck,
Chuck

Great info, I'll check that out. I have a P4P, why will I take a hit?

Thanks!

Dunham corner has a ton of places to fly at and have fun. There's alot of places to fly just be responsible and conscious of people's property and you can have fun. I have a P4P and having a blast with it

1491796136973.jpg

One possible reason you might have been told not to fly you UAV has not been mentioned in this thread yet. It might have been nothing more than a safety issue. I was in Princeton this past fall and wanted to do some drone flying at a park I had never been to before. At the entrance to the park was a bulletin board, and posted on it was a sign prohibiting all UAV. Radio controlled cars were prohibited too. I asked a park ranger about the sign because it did not seem to quote any ordnance, and the park ranger told me that there had been a lot of crashes in the park. Way more than normal were his exact words. Being curious, I got my RF tools out, and sniffed away. WOW was I shocked! The airwaves were saturated! I doubt anything wireless would work very well around that park. I drove around it, again being curious because I wanted to see where all the interference was coming from. Tucked behind a row of trees was a small switch station. Like a small version of the ones you see around high power wires. So read the warnings, and consider that they just might be there to save you from a crash. I was glad I did not fly in that park.

Reactions: WyoFlier

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl