Report or not report

Are you a LEO requesting to see the waiver? If you are not, I would give you the same answer he did. If he is 107 certified and obtained a waiver for the flight there is no problem.

As for your own waiver request, what was the intent and purpose of the flight? If you are not 107 certified you will be denied access to all 0 altitude sectors in the UAS Facilities Map (LAANC).
I never said I asked to see a waiver, I only mentioned to him that it was Class D 0 AGL to ensure he was aware of the fact. I don't know if he is part 107 or not. I walked after he got snarky.

Last edited:
Sorry, you are right. No it's not about cars. Lol. I was trying to use an analogy to try to make it easier to see a prospective point. It was directed toTimothy Smith. Again, sorry you didn't get it.
My comment about the danger of drones colliding with aircraft comes from my own US Navy air crew experience. Our plane, a P3-C Orion, collided with a seabird during approach to Midway Island in the Pacific Ocean. The bird was sucked into the engine and disabled it. We had 3 other engines still running and landed safely. It took a week to get us back into the air and on our way. A single engine aircraft would probably have a much higher chance of destruction. A drone is similar in size to the seabird that disabled our engine. If you see anyone operating a drone near an airport, please report them. If they have authorization to fly in that area, then they have little to fear. If not, they should be prosecuted.

Reactions: Rick218
If you see anyone operating a drone near an airport, please report them. If they have authorization to fly in that area, then they have little to fear. If not, they should be prosecuted.
I’m sure you meant to say if you see someone operating a drone unsafely near an airport.

I fly mine inside controlled airspace with LAANC clearance and near smaller strips and heliports in Class G airspace maintaining proper vigilance. I don’t need LEO showing up every time I fly.

Birds don’t know how to avoid aircraft in the same general airspace. A vigilant sUAS pilot does.

I’m sure you meant to say if you see someone operating a drone unsafely near an airport.

I fly mine inside controlled airspace with LAANC clearance and near smaller strips and heliports in Class G airspace maintaining proper vigilance. I don’t need LEO showing up every time I fly.

Birds don’t know how to avoid aircraft in the same general airspace. A vigilant sUAS pilot does.
To my knowledge clearance is not available for Class D airspace through LAANC. Must go through Dronezone. My issue with this particular PIC was his defensiveness when I mentioned this area was Class D 0 AGL. That is why I decided to report his flight. Less than one hour after his flight an AC-130 flew directly over the site.

Be hard to fly in a NFZ. Maybe they got permission? I know in Panama City area those jets fly low from Tyndall AFB. Maybe not that low, but close. You could notify FAA, let them check it out. That’s your judgment call.
There are several ways to fly in a NFZ, not use a DJI drone, turn off GPS and fly visually, and as I have done is not upload the DJI Precise Geozone update.

To my knowledge clearance is not available for Class D airspace through LAANC. Must go through Dronezone. My issue with this particular PIC was his defensiveness when I mentioned this area was Class D 0 AGL. That is why I decided to report his flight. Less than one hour after his flight an AC-130 flew directly over the site.
Gone are the days when you can call up your local airport to request for permission. According to the FAA’s website:

“All airspace authorization must be made through the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) or DroneZone.”

Since the rule does not discriminate between recreational and commercial drone pilots, we can assume that it applies to both. However, the LAANC system was designed for Part 107-licensed drone pilots and currently cannot accommodate recreational drone pilots. This means that recreational drone pilots are in a state of limbo, but the FAA should get around to integrating them into the LAANC framework soon enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 13-38-21 UAS Data Exchange (LAANC).png
    Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 13-38-21 UAS Data Exchange (LAANC).png
    64.8 KB · Views: 97
Gone are the days when you can call up your local airport to request for permission. According to the FAA’s website:

“All airspace authorization must be made through the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) or DroneZone.”

Since the rule does not discriminate between recreational and commercial drone pilots, we can assume that it applies to both. However, the LAANC system was designed for Part 107-licensed drone pilots and currently cannot accommodate recreational drone pilots. This means that recreational drone pilots are in a state of limbo, but the FAA should get around to integrating them into the LAANC framework soon enough.
I am a recreational pilot and have absolutely no problem using the LAANC authorization system. It is usable in Class B, C, and D. It is true that not all controlled airspace has been included and authorization must be requested through the FAA DroneZone. Areas that are marked as 0 on the UAS Facilities maps are not accessible to recreational pilots using LAANC and very unlikely through DroneZone.

Reactions: TontoFAC
I have flown in a restricted area with a waiver and been approached by authorities mid-flight.
Local authorities would not be aware of FAA approvals. You need to show them the approval.

I think it all depends on the type of person you are. Like someone said alluded to earlier when I see people speeding etc I don't call the cops and say hey you have a guy speeding over here but If I saw someone breaking into a house then, of course, I'm calling the cops. I think it all depends on how you see the offense. Me personally I see this as a speeding-type offense and I wouldn't call the cops. I think you did the right thing by asking him but I wouldn't take it further than that personally.

Local authorities would not be aware of FAA approvals. You need to show them the approval.
Correct. And if you're mid-flight this can be disruptive and possibly jeopardize the whole shoot depending on what you are capturing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka