Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

I think that's worse than owning a gun without registration in most states. Wow!!!!

In Illinois only a felon having a gun gets these kind of penalties. A FOID card in Illinois is the exact equivalent of FAA registration.

It is a class A misdemeanor to possess a weapon without a FOID card if you are otherwise eligible to obtain a FOID card. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,500, up to one year in jail, or both. A second or subsequent violation of this type is a class 4 felony, which incurs a fine of up to $25,000, at least one year (and up to three years) in prison, or both. (430 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 65/14(b).)

It is a class 3 felony to possess a weapon without a FOID card when you are not otherwise eligible to obtain a FOID card. Penalties include a fine of up to $25,000, at least two (and up to five) years in prison, or both. A third or subsequent violation of this type is a class 1 felony, which incurs a fine of up to $25,000, at least six (and up to 30) years in prison, or both. (430 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 65/14(c).) For more information on sentencing in Illinois, see Illinois Misdemeanor Crimes by Class and Sentences and Illinois Felony Crimes by Class and Sentences.

And people called me crazy when I said this was just an FAA fundraiser.

"Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years." So it starts, $5 every 3 years. Later it'll be $5 every year. Then it'll be $10, etc.

Reactions: yorlik
It's only $5 for a full sized GA aircraft so I don't see it being much of a fund raiser. I could be wrong but up to this point the Commercial/GA registration has been consistently priced for a long time.

A $27K fine for not registering a 1/2 pound toy? How is that NOT a fundraiser?
That's called stupid tax. Pay $5 or pay the fine.

I seriously doubt you'll see any fines even remotely like that once everything settles down. Seriously don't let it get your feathers ruffled there are much more important and pressing issues that could use the "ruffling".

It's $5 and that's very reasonable to say the least.

That's called stupid tax. Pay $5 or pay the fine.

I seriously doubt you'll see any fines even remotely like that once everything settles down. Seriously don't let it get your feathers ruffled there are much more important and pressing issues that could use the "ruffling".

It's $5 and that's very reasonable to say the least.

So as long as the gov't doesn't tread on you too heavily, it's ok? Only worry about it when they stomp on your freedom completely. Asks the American Indian how that approach worked for them

So as long as the gov't doesn't tread on you too heavily, it's ok? Only worry about it when they stomp on your freedom completely. Asks the American Indian how that approach worked for them

You just lost some respect points there with me. I can assure you I'm as Anti-Regulation as they come but sometimes you do it for the betterment of the hobby. I've been flying RC for 4 decades and we did so that entire time with NO regulation what so ever just some "guide lines" which worked great. Then come along a technology that requires zero piloting skills and you see where we are now? So please don't preach to me on regulations and loss of freedoms.

If you don't want to register then by all means do NOT! If you don't want to fly that's your option as well. It's the care free idiots who have brought this silly registration upon us and they deserve as much of your frustration as the FAA does. In fact if you go back and research it a little bit you'll see the FAA is just the whipping post here because Congress has mandated what they can and can NOT do.

And people called me crazy when I said this was just an FAA fundraiser.

"Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years." So it starts, $5 every 3 years. Later it'll be $5 every year. Then it'll be $10, etc.
No matter what your mentors at Faux News say, registration fees are not a fund raising effort. The FAA has assessed a fee of $5 for a Certificate of Registration for all aircraft. (14 CFR 47.17(a)). The FAA has not updated this fee since it was initially established in 1966.

The final order is 211 pages. I haven't read all of it, but the preamble is the bulk of the document.

What should trouble hobby users is that the final rule also changes 14 CFR § 1.1 General Definitions by adding:
"Model aircraft means an unmanned aircraft that is:
(1) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes."

This codifies AC 91-57 as, in my opinion, a new rule for hobby flight. This is a repeat of the FAA Special Rule from Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 where the FAA decided to enforce the hobby flight definition in Section 336 as a rule. On August 22, 2014, The UAS America Fund brought suit against the FAA with the AMA as co-plaintiff. In the filing, the suit asserts that the FAA’s Special Rule contradicts the intent of Congress when it passed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The Special Rule was put into abeyance by a court order and AC 91-57 was still the governing document for hobby flight.

In the plus side, it is good that not every model aircraft is individually registered. You receive an ID number that identifies the owner, and you put that ID number on every hobby aircraft that you own.

So tell me what this "regulation" does to 'better the hobby'? It doesn't prevent or help solve any harmful actions. You don't even have to provide UAS serial number in the registration process. Are they seriously expecting a number you affix(with no standard way of doing so) to survive an impact at any altitude and they're going to trace it back to you?

Q. Do I have to provide any information on my UAS?

A. Individual recreational users do not have to enter the make, model, and serial number. All others will be required to provide the make, model, and serial number when the website is available to all other users

And just who is enforcing this new "rule"?

As far as 'care free idiots', I think you're mistaken. The facts don't back the assertion of media hype. It's been posted here many times of the actual FAA incident reports that were backed up by any facts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31