Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. phantom4rookie

So I have a small update for everybody regarding the P4 range or lack of in certain circumstances..

After a huge amount of testing the best I can do is follows

1. Near power lines & other wifi networks in a reasonably built up area - 500 meters to 1.2kms range at 120 meters altitude

2. Country area no power lines, no wifi networks and no trees - 2.2kms range at 100 meters altitude

3. Over water (zero obstructions) - 2.7kms range at 60 meters altitude (I could have gone much further here but the whole water thing turned me off) Tbh I think 5kms was achievable

Without breaking my local laws it's impossible to go any higher than 120mts which would increase my range but be pretty dangerous where I live..

So I'm curious why does this drone do so much better over water at such a low height compared to a country field with no obstructions (like in test 2) at a higher height (ps the reason for lifting the height was due to connectivity issues in test 2.

2. flyboy73

Not much drone experience here, but many years of HF and VHF radio work. I would guess that the country field, while line of sight, does have attenuation from the grass, and shubbery. They do not reflect, they absorb. On the other hand, over the water you not only have very little attenuation from the water, but a certain reflective element. A mirror reflects better than a sponge.

3. snowghost

I'm going to use the Windsurfer with mine. That should give me more than enough range.

4. Fallguy

I agree with flyboy73 . Just like a radio stations broadcast , the signal can bounce off the water . I live in the Cleveland area , and we could get radio stations from Detroit (CKLW) no problem 125 miles away . The signal would bounce off Lake Erie.

flyboy73 likes this.
  5. Sim597

So, like what did you look for, or what were your parameters? Meaning, did you stop at first hint of video noise? Or for a disconnect? Or did you push it from 5 to 3 or 2 or even 1 bar signal? Just curious as I'm going to test my DBS modded P3 transmitter against the stock P4 TXer

6. PROJEFFREY11

Just found out about the range issue today according to DJI customer support the light bridge is the exact same one as the P3 but they just shorten the range for safety reasons due to the FAA regulations at least that's what they told me.

7. Toph

I'm sure someone will create a work around for that

8. PROJEFFREY11

Not one doubt in my mind that somebody will find a workaround, but to be honest, this being my first Phantom I'm more than impressed with this bird in every aspect by far. :)

9. John Locke

I sure hope so. I'll won't be able to sell my P3P until I can depend on my P4 to get the same range without a hiccup. Today I get hiccups all the time in placed my P3P NEVER skipped a beat. If DJI deliberately detuned Lightbridge, then they absolutely lied in their ads stating the P4 Lightbridge is enhanced. This would be a total falsehood.

PROJEFFREY11 likes this.
  10. PROJEFFREY11

I agree lying is a terrible thing and false advertising is basically a form of lying. I assume somebody will take it personal enough to sue DJI for false advertising if it can be proven so in a court of law. But I hope it doesn't have to go down like that and DJI just fix's the range with a firmware update at some point.