[Range Test] Phantom 3 Advanced stock vs Phantom 3 Standard with mod

Reaction score
Hi guys, few days ago I sold my p3s and I upgraded to p3a.

I did this upgrade because I was not happy with the raw picture quality of the standard, but I found that the upgrade is worth also in terms of pure range.

This is my first range test in the same spot where my p3s reached 1680mt.

The advanced performs way much better, and with stock antennas. The difference is HUGE, check it out.

Is that normal? I thought that the advanced was not able to reach this kind of distance with stock antennas...

Advanced test:

Standard test:

Aren't you comparing apples with oranges? Isn't the stock range of a P3S 1000 meters? Isn't the stock range of a P3A 5000 meters?

So you flew the P3A 3600 meters with stock antennas.

Then you flew the P3S 1600 meters with modified antennas.

Okay... but what is your point?

I don't quite understand the point of the thread.

Maybe you didn't know the range on the P3A is significantly greater...?

Last edited:
Aren't you comparing apples with oranges? Isn't the stock range of a P3S 1000 meters? Isn't the stock range of a P3A 5000 meters?

not that I known... I mean as far as I know the stock range of the p3s is about 500mt then with a mod I was able to reach 1600mt at the max so I was very happy about that.

I only did know that the advanced/pro can go over 1000-1500mt without mod, but I did not think about reaching 3600mt with full signal as I did in the test...

So you flew the P3A 3600 meters with stock antennas.

Then you flew the P3S 1600 meters with modified antennas.

exactly, that's my first test

Okay... but what is your point?

I don't quite understand the point of the thread.

Maybe you didn't know the range on the P3A is significantly greater...?

The point is that, if it goes up to 3600mt with stock antennas and it comes back because it does not have enough power left, what's te point on the mods in this model? like the windsurfers of the FPVLR, you have to put an extra battery too, otherwise is pointless...

Yes I didn't know that the stock range can be that far, and with full signal until the end... so the point is just for talking about it... is that normal or I was just lucky in that specific moment?

Okay.

If you go to DJI.com, you can look at the specs on expected max transmitter range for each bird.

As you can see, the range for the P3A is significantly greater than the P3S.

I think there might be a way to override that feature that forces your P3A home due to the battery. Not sure. I don't have a P3A.

Yes, if you're serious about super long range, a battery mod is in your future.

I definetely have to check how to do that override because I am very curious about the max stock range... so maybe I can land the phantom at the maximum distance if there is any space available.... or a safe zone, or a friend that can catch it when it's time... :)

thanks for the reply btw

Max stock range... I don't know... presumably it's about 5000 meters in FCC mode. But there's a guy on here that ran his P3P 19.4 miles straight out and landed it out there. That's pretty far. But his setup was modded of course.

My pleasure sir

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart