RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

hook3m said:
havasuphoto said:
How do you update the firmware for your iOSD mini when it's inside?

Pop the top and plug it in. I did all the work myself so for me it's not very difficult. For those who had someone else install everything I can see how it could be intimidating.
Thanks-but I don't want to have to pop the top anymore. PITA on the PH1....so, I'll just mount everything outside.

As for the BB antenna's-strange that you don't get the range. I would chalk it up to bad antenna's, and move onto something else.
There are other people making their own Planar/Skew antenna's. I ordered a set from a guy in Canada.....still now word on when they will ship.
I would test the monitor with ONLY the blue beam on it, and you can mount the VTX antenna out the right or left side, if you chose. What's more important is just knowing where the VTX antenna is pointed, and as you go further out, try to rotate the aircraft so that antenna is pointed back towards you-especially as you start seeing snow. When you start seeing snow, stop!!!

If you get snow, then lose signal, immediately trigger Fail Safe. You don't want to try and rotate the aircraft to get the signal back; because you don't know if you're descending!!! That's the scary part. IF, you lose signal completely, always just trigger fail safe, until you can see the iOSD info again.

rater than trigger FS which has various delays and might change altitude, put Home Orientation lock on and pull back so that you come back in whatever direction it happens to be facing.

ghinson said:
To my issue earlier in the thread..

A recap.

IRC600mW Tx, IOSd (installed in inside like above), and Black Pearl monitor.

Purchased IBCrazy Ultra Blue Beam antenna to try and improve on performance of stock antenna.

Was getting about 400m with stock, but down to 300m with the better antenna.

Verified install. Tried all the channels on the BP receiver (only 7 on mine).

Concluded it was the antenna. Returned them to the eBay seller (http://www.ebay.com/usr/fpvrc-store?_tr ... 7675.l2559, who I can highly recommend in spite of this). Got new pair. Same results. So. It wasn't the original pair.

The IBCrazy guy (also very responsive to my emails) says noise floor, but I don't think so, since I fly in a very remote area and all channels were the same.

Any other ideas before we chalk it up to these antenna not working with this combo and I just go back to stock and be happy with 400m of FPV?

Someone above mentions aiming their Tx antenna out the right side of the drone (others say don't do it). Should I try this?

Secondly, curiously, when I look at the two little blue LEDs on the monitor telling me which of the two antenna is being used, either the new one of the stock one, the light is more commonly on for the stock one, not the blue one.

Thanks.

That's odd Ibcrazy antennas are the best around... Not sure if you already mentioned but are all your sma, rp-sma, male to female correct?

thongbong said:
ghinson said:
To my issue earlier in the thread..

That's odd Ibcrazy antennas are the best around... Not sure if you already mentioned but are all your sma, rp-sma, male to female correct?

I'm pretty sure. Pins and holes all seem to match up.

I will look in to telling the BP monitor which antenna to use. It's not obvious how to do this; might have to look at the manual, dammit.

ghinson said:
Any other ideas before we chalk it up to these antenna not working with this combo and I just go back to stock and be happy with 400m of FPV?

Secondly, curiously, when I look at the two little blue LEDs on the monitor telling me which of the two antenna is being used, either the new one of the stock one, the light is more commonly on for the stock one, not the blue one.

Thanks.

I use a ts832 and can get 'acceptable' video out to about 600 meters with stock antenna (didn't go farther - ran out of airspace). It was breaking up and totally went out for about 100 meters of return because the antenna was pointing away. I would get an occasional glimpse of the OSD data and was able to get past the snow.

I installed a CP helical on the ground station and got almost clear video all the way out and back no matter which way the stock antenna on the airplane was pointed. Good difference so it stays on my ground system. I also have an IBCrazy helical on a second monitor (long story ... I seem to collect multiples of things) which also works fine. My monitor will jump back and forth to whichever receiver is getting the best signal - which is usually the receiver with the helical except when the airplane gets near or flies over my head and I don't track it.

My monitors are the generic Diversity models.

I say all that to say you shouldn't be satisfied with 400 meters unless you know you won't use anything greater. I would point to the receiver or transmitter being the problem. The Immersion tx seems to have problems with the Diversity... maybe you could get an UNO or change tx.

AlanK said:
rater than trigger FS which has various delays and might change altitude, put Home Orientation lock on and pull back so that you come back in whatever direction it happens to be facing.
FS will hold whatever altitude it was at, or 20M-whichever is higher when triggered. The reason I suggested using that versus Home Lock is that when you lose video completely-you may be in a descent, and now know it. With FS, the descent stops.

Also-just an update; I went out and tried one of the Airwave Band frequencies(5740-frequencies that end in 0 are Airwave), and got about 600 meters before I started getting snow. And, the snow was in and out, about once a second. It got to the point that at 800 meters, I could barely see anything.
This is the 2nd time I've tried an AW frequency-and that time it didn't end well either. There is something in my area that is creating interference on those frequencies, and I cannot use them.

I have to use 5705-or a frequency that ends in 05. I put my TX/RX back on channel 31(5705), and flew out to 1000 meters @40M no loss, no snow.
So, channel selection is a big deal. Your mileage may vary. I've seen others get excellent results using AW frequencies.

And yes-my transmitter frequency and my receiver frequency were identical. IF, I was 05 off frequency, it would break-up at less than 100 meters(tried that once)....
So, I'm looking at getting another TS832 for my new P2. Might look at the DJI AVL58-if anyone has had an experience with that unit, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks

Took my phantom 2 out for its first fpv run. Black pearl. Irc600. Stock antenna on the left with fly sight antennas on right and phantom. Made it out between 500 and 600 meters before starting to break up.

Watch "DJI Phantom 2 500 meters FPV" on YouTube
DJI Phantom 2 500 meters FPV: http://youtu.be/BC4VeW_-e9g

Hi,

I've been watching this forum for sometime but never posted before. I have suffered with poor FPV for many months and was starting to doubt my setup. I have a BP and an ImmersionRC 600mw tx. I was initially using a rubber duck and a spironet v2 on the BP and a spironet v2 on the phantom tx. This was mounted like many others, out of the back. Needless to say my range was very poor only getting about 200 meters before having to turn back. This made it worse because now antenna on the tx is shielded from view by the gopro.

Just by changing the position of the tx so it hangs out the side and upgrading the antennas gave a massive improvement. I now easily get 1km @ 30m with rock steady video and no major issues.

I'm using Channel 4 (5800) on the tx
Spironet v2 on the tx coming out the side ( compass side )
Black hawk helical 5 turn and a nimrod on the BP

I was thinking about having a spironet or nimrod mounted underneath between the landing gear. If the semi rigid antenna cable was mounted in a small diameter tube with a light tension spring assembly it could be made to extend as the craft lifted from the ground and retract under the weight of the phantom on landing. The nimrod is encased in epoxy resin so this might be better suited and be more hard wearing. This would then easily clear the bottom of the landing gear when in flight and in theory give no blind spots no matter what the flight orientation.

finally got to test some range on my DIY 3 turn helical and DIY CP antennas yesterday, found some land with straight LOS. Got 2500m with good video, turned around because of wind. My gear is a BP and IRC600. I now have 6 kicka$$ atennas for under $20. Gonna make more because this trial and error thing is great fun. Next up is to make an SWR meter.

thongbong said:
finally got to test some range on my DIY 3 turn helical and DIY CP antennas yesterday, found some land with straight LOS. Got 2500m with good video, turned around because of wind. My gear is a BP and IRC600. I now have 6 kicka$$ atennas for under $20. Gonna make more because this trial and error thing is great fun. Next up is to make an SWR meter.

Nice 2,5km! I'm waiting for my IRC600 to arrive. Right now I have a Boscam TS351 (200mw) and 801RX. I used some longer antennas from an old router, and in LOS I get about 1000m. I'm gonna install the IRC600 when it arrives together with the UNO receiver.

Was wondering if you use a helical antenna, isn't it annoying you have to be facing the quad the whole time? Or doesn't it have to be that precise? I guess it depends on how many turns you have right? Together with the IRC600 I got some spironet antenna's but would like to experiment with the helical type also.

scratch009 said:
thongbong said:

Nice 2,5km! I'm waiting for my IRC600 to arrive. Right now I have a Boscam TS351 (200mw) and 801RX. I used some longer antennas from an old router, and in LOS I get about 1000m. I'm gonna install the IRC600 when it arrives together with the UNO receiver.

Was wondering if you use a helical antenna, isn't it annoying you have to be facing the quad the whole time? Or doesn't it have to be that precise? I guess it depends on how many turns you have right? Together with the IRC600 I got some spironet antenna's but would like to experiment with the helical type also.

Although the helical is directional you don't have to be pointing it directly at the Phantom.
The more turns the more directional it becomes I believe.
5 turns is enough.

scratch009 said:
thongbong said:

You'll get great reception with the Uno, better than the Black Pearl. I have both but use the black pearl because its all contained in one neat package, but I'd gladly choose Uno reception over BP any day. Yup, what 2trickpony said, I'm trying to get the best reception with the smallest antennas possible. I have a DIY 7 turn I made that I havent tried yet and I'm sure it will far surpass the power of the stock Tx.

Picked up a Boscam single channel receiver the other day-came with the TS832 TX I bought(new-on Ebay). Just bench tested it, and it works fine.
Going to search for a battery powered "monitor", that I can use, to test this receiver out.

Also-for those with P2's(assuming just about everyone but me), where is the "ideal" place to stick your VTX?? I know "pony"? or someone had their antenna coming out the back, and up-not for me.
Would you put it dead center in the back with the antenna coming out the back and down? Or, would you favor more towards the compass side or RC side??

havasuphoto said:
Picked up a Boscam single channel receiver the other day-came with the TS832 TX I bought(new-on Ebay). Just bench tested it, and it works fine.
Going to search for a battery powered "monitor", that I can use, to test this receiver out.

Also-for those with P2's(assuming just about everyone but me), where is the "ideal" place to stick your VTX?? I know "pony"? or someone had their antenna coming out the back, and up-not for me.
Would you put it dead center in the back with the antenna coming out the back and down? Or, would you favor more towards the compass side or RC side??

I use mine out the side now, opposite compass. Have tried it up top but too worried it ends up chopped to bits by the props :eek:

Attachments

• 20140401_170312.jpg
    20140401_170312.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 399
havasuphoto said:
1 for the side, noted.
Why are you using the white damper balls? Don't you get a lot of micro-bounce?
Wanna know how to get rid of most of it?

I wanted to try the white dampers to see if they made any difference. Too early to tell yet but I thought they might be better as they are softer than the black.
Does anyone have any comments on which dampers to use?

Black balls, with orange 3M earplugs(1 full ear plug stuffed into each damper);, 1 1/4"X1 1/4", 1/4" Sorbothane Gel, 70 durmoter hardness, in between the upper and lower bracket.
Ear plugs mod;

Sorbothane gel;

Reduced 90% of high speed vertical hop, and about 75% reduction in micro bounce. Your mileage may vary.

Karl666 said:
Hi,

I've been watching this forum for sometime but never posted before. I have suffered with poor FPV for many months and was starting to doubt my setup. I have a BP and an ImmersionRC 600mw tx. I was initially using a rubber duck and a spironet v2 on the BP and a spironet v2 on the phantom tx. This was mounted like many others, out of the back. Needless to say my range was very poor only getting about 200 meters before having to turn back. This made it worse because now antenna on the tx is shielded from view by the gopro.

Just by changing the position of the tx so it hangs out the side and upgrading the antennas gave a massive improvement. I now easily get 1km @ 30m with rock steady video and no major issues.

I'm using Channel 4 (5800) on the tx
Spironet v2 on the tx coming out the side ( compass side )
Black hawk helical 5 turn and a nimrod on the BP

I was thinking about having a spironet or nimrod mounted underneath between the landing gear. If the semi rigid antenna cable was mounted in a small diameter tube with a light tension spring assembly it could be made to extend as the craft lifted from the ground and retract under the weight of the phantom on landing. The nimrod is encased in epoxy resin so this might be better suited and be more hard wearing. This would then easily clear the bottom of the landing gear when in flight and in theory give no blind spots no matter what the flight orientation.

You If you are using the Spironet antennas on both Tx and RX with you should be getting over a mile range. Make sure you didn't make the same mistake I initially did. Check the connector on the antenna that plugs into the ImmersionRC 600mW. It should have a PIN in the center.

Should look like like this.
pigtail-sma-plug.jpg

havasuphoto said:
Black balls, with orange 3M earplugs(1 full ear plug stuffed into each damper);, 1 1/4"X1 1/4", 1/4"

Reduced 90% of high speed vertical hop, and about 75% reduction in micro bounce. Your mileage may vary.

Does the sorbothane not take away the benefit of the ball dampers as you are creating a "touching" surface in the frame?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor