RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

dannyspeed said:
d4ddyo said:
dannyspeed said:
AlanK said:
Horizon FPV have created a bundle for the BP/Immersion after much discussing last night, hope it works out (SMA only)

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -and-rhcp/

Anyone had any luck with this setup?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

There was a guy that did 6 km with horizon antennae

Sold

I am using the Horizion matched set for the black pearl. I just chicken to those distances but do get solid video at 1km+. I have my TX pointing out the side (canbus side) on a small plastic extension which puts it a little further out. The dome is turned downwards flush with the level of the landing gear foot. I got no loss of signal on a turn at those distances.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

dannyspeed said:
d4ddyo said:
dannyspeed said:
AlanK said:
Horizon FPV have created a bundle for the BP/Immersion after much discussing last night, hope it works out (SMA only)

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -and-rhcp/

Anyone had any luck with this setup?

There was a guy that did 6 km with horizon antennae

Sold

I am using the Horizion matched set fir the bkack pearl. I just chicken to those distances but do get solid video at 1km+. I have my TX pointing out the side (canbus side) on a small plastic extension which puts it a little further out. The dome is turned downwards flush with the level of the landing gear. I got no loss of signal on a turn at those distances.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

@ irishSights do you get much snowing or static on screen within the 1km range?

Ive just got 1600 meters with a 25mw immersion tx and black pearl monitor with spironets and spironet patch on bp. I have tx pointing out the side and down (compass side) I use channel 7 on the transmitter and use f band channel 7 on the bp.
Not sure why the immersion 600mw tx is getting poorer results than the 25mw!

The only thing I would like to improve on mine is the hazy/snowy picture quality. Im thinking the Horizon black pearl antenna kit or the immersion uno reciever but not sure what would be best.

All I would like to improve on mine is the snowy/staic

Have been wanting to do some testing between the FS250 and IRC600 as I saw that people had issues with range on the BP and the IRC600.

Today I did a 3385m run with the IRC600 and BP, and while there was some snow at 1.5km+ it was still okay. I never lost image until I turned to return home, but once turned though the Image came back.

I am using the following equipment from First person view and Horizon Antennas to test and my Phantom is on version 3.04 with the default gains.:-

First person view kit:-
Black Pearl 32 channel SMA version
Fatshark 5.8GHz 250mW
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Long Range 600mW
ImmersionRC UNO5800 Single -90dBm Receiver
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set (2 antennas) SpiroNET - Version 2

Horizon Antennas kit:-
On the receiver I am using a Horizon 5 turn helical for all tests.
Blackhawk Micro 5.8 GHz 9 dBi
Single Skew planar FPV 5.8GHz

Tests I want to perform:-

BP + FS250 + Horizon SP = 2045m
BP + FS250 + Spironet SP = 1800m
BP + IRC600 + Horizon SP = 3385m
BP + IRC600 + Spironet SP = Still to test
Uno5800 + FS250 + Horizon SP = Still to test
Uno5800 + FS250 + Spironet SP = Still to test
Uno5800 + IRC600 + Horizon SP = Still to test
Uno5800 + IRC600 + Spironet SP = Still to test

Results so far:-

BP + FS250 + Horizon SP = 2045m
Ch 1 5740 MHz
I want to test the FS250 again as I hit my geofence limit on that flight. With that said the picture was just about to cut out so don't think I would have got much further, but I will give it a go later today.

Ch 1 5740 MHz
Flytrex log

Attachments

• 2014-06-01_11-51-28.jpg
    2014-06-01_11-51-28.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 396
Xgeek,

Wish I had more time to run some similar tests along side you on the "what's my weak link" range analysis. I have various combinations of the IRC 250mW, IRC 600mW, 2D and 3D gimbals (including v1.0 and v1.1), presence/absence of gimbal interference board, and presence/absence of GroundStation air unit. On the ground I currently have a Duo, with good helical, patch, and CP antennas, feeding Fatshark goggles, Lilliput screen, and now DVR.

All I can say at the moment is that my older P2 with 250mW vTx, v1.0 gimbal, and no GS (and older 3.something firmware) has almost double the control range of my newer P2 with the 600mW vTx, v1.1 gimbal, and GS onboard (though currently powered off) and recently the v3.04 firmware. (The GS when I first installed it had immediate impact on vTx signal quality, so I powered it off and taped the antennae away, assuming they were a garage band at the symphony, noise wise.) I am starting to suspect that the 600mW vTx may be hurting my 2.4GHz control signal at distance. The newer P2 flirts with FS/RTH substantially sooner than the older P2.

In terms of pure FPV range, last night I got 2.5km on two separate runs with the newer P2 + 600mW vTx. Very good video most/all the way. I am gradually learning best antenna placement on the P2, and what the brown-out / black-out orientations are on the turn-around several km out. Second distance run last night instead of turning around I flew ATTI backward (P2 vTx antenna facing me) until I got below 2km, then turned for home. Not crazy about looking where I was, not where I am going, even at decent altitude. On the older P2, I've hit 4km once, and >3.5km several times.

What firmware version are you using? Given the recent findings on v3.04 horizontal speed limits, I am leaving my older P2 firmware as is for the time being. I am starting to wonder if Manual mode is in my future re distance runs.

Kelly

I am using version 3.04 as stated above ;) . I flew out in atti mode. I did hit FS on the way back and the return speed dropped to 8m/s. Then I regained control and flew the rest of the way back in atti at around 15m/s.

I alway fly by the 3rd rule ( 1/3 of battery going, return at 2/3 left (66%) , land at 30%) so I don't think I can get much further than I did above unless they up the speeds again. I hit my geofence limit again in my last test (had it set to 3300m but now set it at 4000m). Just charging my batteries but will be testing the below setup later today :-

BP + FS250 + Horizon SP
Uno5800 + FS250 + Horizon SP

I will confess I am turning around at about 60% left, occasionally high 50's depending on winds. I always fly upwind, and feel safe dropping to high 50's % battery left if I know I have 10+ kts to help get me home. Though when FS kicks in, its pedantic pace is sometimes stress inducing. Packing a GPS tracker gives me a LOT more cohones, for better or worse.

I am curious what the most efficient flight mode and speed is, if one had no firmware speed limits. Assuming zero winds, I am thinking ATTI at near max speed will give best range, but as in some aircraft, top end and max range/endurance are often different throttle settings.

Kelly

After I have done the tests for today I may see how far I get just in GPS mode at 10m/s. Maybe more efficient than full speed in atti?

Just got back from more testing. Got out to 3100m with the FS250mw and BP. Picture was not as good at that distance as the IRC600. Also got out to 3300m with the Uno5800 and FS250mw before I lost image. Was surprised as I thought the Uno would have a lot more range than the BP receiver. Will test the Uno tomorrow with the IRC600

All tests done on Ch 1 5740 MHz.

BP + FS250 + Horizon SP = 3100m
Uno5800 + FS250 + Horizon SP = 3300m

Immersion 600 with the Blackpearl.

Vas 3-turn Helical- only got it out to 350 meters.

Then added the Fat Shark spironets with the Vas 3-turn Helical. Got it out to 550 meters.

Definitely no where near the 1000 meter mark. Even with all of these fancy antennas.

Thats very strange mate. I get out to 400m+ with the rubber duckies that came with the FS250mw and BP.

Are you losing image completely at that range or is it just breaking up a bit?
Do you have clear LOS or is there any ground clutter that could impair the signal?
Also what channel you on?

The Vas Helical had very little clutter and I only managed 350 meters before picture started breaking and fizzing out and so I brought it back.

The added spironets had some trees but I didn't max it out. I saw a little breaking in the picture, got scared and brought it back. Will do a complete long distance test- weather permitting next weekend and will report back.

is clear LOS a must when using spironets? ive got an sma version of the black pearl along with the irc600 and I cant even get out of my neighborhood, maybe 200 meters before i lose reception. I know i dont have clear los the whole time so thats why i ask. my monitor spironet is pointed straight out and the phantom spironet is bent down and to the side.

Jimpic said:
I get a very good range with a Black Pearl, immersionRC 600 mw and good pinwheel antennas (+ directional Helix): more than 3 km.
May be the spironets are not so good.
i have the same setup but i dont understand where to get the proper "pinwheel antennas (+ directional Helix)". You install it only on Immerssion or on black pearl aswell? can you please provide me the link to get the antennas? thanks

I'm back!!!
I now have an aircraft with an Immersion 600mw TX(it's an F550 with 800mm arms-thing is huge), spironets, and, I just got a Black Pearl Diversity monitor(SMA). Boy-that menu system on that monitor is a PITA!!!

Also-I ordered the Get FPV Helical antenna......sheesh, for that price it better read minds!!

Also-just got a P2. That has an AVL58 on it. So-I will be testing both Airwave frequencies(those ending in zero), and non-airwave(those ending in 05.)
I still have my P1, with TS832(running ch31-5705), and that's still the "champ" at 1600M.

I flew the Hex the other day, with the BP monitor. Immersion set on Ch1? 5740. Spironet on aircraft-pointed straight down(nothing blocking antenna-aircraft has retracts), and 2 spironets on receiver. Max range was a little under 400M, and the video was horrible.
In some azimuths, it would start to break up at 170m!!! I also tried some "blue beams" on the aircraft and receiver-and it got worse!!
So-what I've done so far is; change from 5740 to 5840.

I have high hopes for this BP receiver. Before-I was using a Boscam monitor with dual diversity receiver. But-the DC in plug on that monitor broke off internally from the circuit board, and is now garbage after only 7 months. I would avoid buying one at all costs!! However-it was more partial to the non-airwave bands.

I had previously tried the airwave frequencies with the Boscam-and got the same results I'm getting now...only about 150M then nothing.

So-now I have 3 aircraft with different FPV transmitters(TS-832, AVL58-both non-airwave bands, and the Immersion). I seriously hope I don't have to get rid of the Immersion.
I've never gotten any range with that band of frequencies. So, when the wind dies down, I'll go to my "secret spot", and see what my range is compared to the TS832 equipped P1. Probably bring that aircraft with me-just to compare with the new receiver.

GhostMaster said:
Forget about expensive immersionRC/Fatshark gear, Boscam works better and is cheaper...

I got 2000m with this setup(Helical and Boscam CL antennas):
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

Everything works well and with a very clear image.
That's the same receiver that I had the DC-IN plug, break off inside the monitor-it's junk!!!
I had no issues before that-and I think that receiver actually works better with the boscam frequencies(those ending in 05). But-no way am I going to buy 1 of those again until they improve that plug-in jack.

And-since a majority of my flying is by reference to FPV, I'm not going to go cheap.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart