RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

d4ddyo said:
ladykate said:
That helical is what I have. It is excellent. It is also almost a work of art. The beam width is 60 degrees. Dead easy to keep aimed at the aircraft. I use a diversity with a rubber ducky as the other antenna (or a skew planar). No breakup of signal with either Fatshark, DJI or other Chinese transmitters.

When you mean a rubber ducky as the "other" antenna... you mean at the Tx Side?

Talking about diversity receivers on the ground (two inputs).

The stick antenna on the ground receiver is the one with the rubber covered stick antenna. I have it on one of the diversities and it works fine with the helical. I also have a skew planar on another one (with a helical) that I use for long range tests (although I don't do those that often).

FWIW - the latest firmware upgrade doesn't restrict me from a local military airfield. Thought that was kinda weird. I can fly up to it with no problem... although I actually took off close to it and went the other way.

d4ddyo said:
havasuphoto said:
I have the red stalk Spironets, and got 1.6KM of good video. But, off axis it would drop off. I have my antenna on the VTX out to the side(there's a picture a few pages back)......
I don't know if mine are V1 or V2...both are SMA connectors, but the 1 that is mounted to the VTX has an RP-SMA adapter on it.

What's the "diameter" of usable directional area for your helical? How many degree's?

What dies that mean? Lol. I have circular wireless Helical Antenna 12dBi, 5645-5945MHz, right hand circular polarization
I meant the degree's of diameter of reception. LK already answered that-60 degree's-which is pretty wide.
Anybody have a link to that antenna from a U.S. Distributor? 2 lazy to go back through 50? pages to find it ;)

havasuphoto said:
d4ddyo said:
havasuphoto said:
I have the red stalk Spironets, and got 1.6KM of good video. But, off axis it would drop off. I have my antenna on the VTX out to the side(there's a picture a few pages back)......
I don't know if mine are V1 or V2...both are SMA connectors, but the 1 that is mounted to the VTX has an RP-SMA adapter on it.

What's the "diameter" of usable directional area for your helical? How many degree's?

What dies that mean? Lol. I have circular wireless Helical Antenna 12dBi, 5645-5945MHz, right hand circular polarization
I meant the degree's of diameter of reception. LK already answered that-60 degree's-which is pretty wide.
Anybody have a link to that antenna from a U.S. Distributor? 2 lazy to go back through 50? pages to find it ;)

It's on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circular-Wirele ... 338d02194f

I also have the I B Crazy shorter one and it works well, too. However, I'm sure it wouldn't have the range of the CW one.

havasuphoto said:
d4ddyo said:
havasuphoto said:

It's here too.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... f18c4aacec

I have to say... it's such a pretty antenna too. LOL

havasuphoto said:
Pretty spendy. I think I'll wait for a used one to come up :)

Look at the I B Crazy version. Not as beautiful but still works great. Less than half the price.

yeah it's a little expensive but it looks even better irl. LOL. looks like came from Dr. Who.

havasuphoto said:
1 for the side, noted.
Why are you using the white damper balls? Don't you get a lot of micro-bounce?
Wanna know how to get rid of most of it?

Just received my P2 with the H3-3D last week. 5 flights so far and the white balls that were mounted with the H3 gimbal gives perfectly still video, even in windy conditions .. the H3 is amazing. The H3 also came with 3 other sets of black damper balls.

Great input everyone… all 68 pages. I am totally new to RC and FPV but learning quickly as a result of this thread. Ive had my P2+H3-3D Gimbal+ GoPro 3 for 1 week, just leaning to fly and now ready to venture out.

First off, it became very clear that the variables are nearly infinite. Even with the same gear the channel settings, antenna placement, antenna direction, and geography etc.. all influence FPV reception.

My rookie summary of what FPV set-up to get for good reception and distance is below ( 1-2 Km+ but not records). If I totally missed it please let me know.

LCD screen - I think I like a screen better than goggles - but may get FS goggles as well
Black Pearl - which I am choosing
- new version F band BP is reported to work better with IRC and FS Tx
- 4 Band BP doesn't mate well with IRC600
- 4 band BP seems to work better with FS250
Boscam is good as well - can match with Boscam Tx - but I haven't seen as much in terms of comparative RANGE reviews
Fat Shark goggles Rx work much better with IRC 600 Tx than original BP internal Rx (new BP F band Rx may work better).

TX
IRC600 Tx - doesn't match perfectly with the 4 band BP Rx.
FS 250 - can work better than IRC 600 depending on antennas
IRC 600 works great with IRC Uno5800 and Duo5800 Rx - which can replace BP Rx if needed.

Rx
BP internal diversity Rx can work well with the IRC600 with the right antenna set up
Can always use an IRC Uno5800 or DUO5800 Rx to replace BP Rx if antennas aren't enough

**Antennas - good antennas appear to be the link to clear long distance FPV with a BP and Immersion 600 (or any Tx/Rx for that matter). Many many to choose from.
- I plan to start with 2 FS SpiroNets - one for the P2 one for the BP
- 2nd BP antenna - either a Patch, crosshair, or Helical ?? - havent decided but a 5 helical seems to be the preferred set up.
- Spironet on P2 mounted on right side bent pointing down
- Dji transmitter antenna sideways

So I think I will get this --> Black Pearl (F band), IRC600, 2 v2 Spironets, 1 IBCrazy Helical, and an iOSD mni. Good place to start?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for all of the info and awesome videos!

Great summary!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Exactly what I have surmised too. My only concern is getting hold of the new f band only, 7 channel bp in the UK. All I see say sma but also say 32 channels - which is all the bands. May give them a call and see how much they know about the BP's they sell.

MrC said:
Exactly what I have surmised too. My only concern is getting hold of the new f band only, 7 channel bp in the UK. All I see say sma but also say 32 channels - which is all the bands. May give them a call and see how much they know about the BP's they sell.

Try here: http://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/equipment/firs ... eiver.html

I bought one of those from there to use with my IRC600. Works reliably with some Horizon antennas although not done much range flying beyond 800m. Obviously good antennas + line of sight (5.8Ghz is crap if obstructed) are the key. If you want to do long distance stuff, I'd go for FS goggles with a helical.

The RCGeeks ones are SMA (male).

The SMA version is 7 channels (BAND F only) specifically designed to have best performance on Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies.

Source: http://www.rangevideo.com/en/58-ghz/55- ... nector-sma

I bought a Predator and after a good deal of messing around, got it so I could see clearly enough. I've used it for a few flights but I'm not comfortable with it and for short flights (which I usually do) it is PITA to hook it all up when everything is already on my Futaba (including a Diversity monitor). In the end, I think I'll go back to an LCD screen. The hassle of using the Goggles takes away from the pleasure of being outside and flying (for me).

I agree, antennas are the key.

I was out this weekend with the P2 - mapping a site for an upcoming convention (and playing). Used an AVL58 with the DJI cloverleaf and a Diversity rx (IB Crazy helical and Circular Wireless skew planar) . Very effective and did all that I wanted. I was at a Fairground where there were all kinds of above ground power poles, light towers and below ground RV hookups - plus lots of junk metal around... absolutely no problems.

goldfishrock said:
I managed to get a couple of test flights in yesterday with the Fat Shark 250mw. These are the two comparison videos showing a Helical vs Spironet on the Black Pearl. I now need another window of reasonable weather to duplicate this with the ImmersionRC 600mw… however these show some interesting detail to be going on with…. I apologise for the shaky camerawork at the start!

Spironet Tx / Spironet Rx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV131HXLkCc

Spironet Tx / IBCrazy Helical (5-Turn) Rx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-gLh_KcLo

Great work. I'm amazed at how well you synced up your video of your FPV with the video you took from your camera and embedded it into a picture in a picture with your FPV video.

I just hit 2km this weekend with my P2, immersion 600 mW and immersion/Fatshark patch antenna. Probably could have gone to 2.5km but my battery was at 50% and I didn't want to go on a hunt in the swamp for my stuff.

PCDan said:
Great input everyone… all 68 pages. I am totally new to RC and FPV but learning quickly as a result of this thread. Ive had my P2+H3-3D Gimbal+ GoPro 3 for 1 week, just leaning to fly and now ready to venture out.

First off, it became very clear that the variables are nearly infinite. Even with the same gear the channel settings, antenna placement, antenna direction, and geography etc.. all influence FPV reception.

My rookie summary of what FPV set-up to get for good reception and distance is below ( 1-2 Km+ but not records). If I totally missed it please let me know.

LCD screen - I think I like a screen better than goggles - but may get FS goggles as well
Black Pearl - which I am choosing
- new version F band BP is reported to work better with IRC and FS Tx
- 4 Band BP doesn't mate well with IRC600
- 4 band BP seems to work better with FS250
Boscam is good as well - can match with Boscam Tx - but I haven't seen as much in terms of comparative RANGE reviews
Fat Shark goggles Rx work much better with IRC 600 Tx than original BP internal Rx (new BP F band Rx may work better).

TX
IRC600 Tx - doesn't match perfectly with the 4 band BP Rx.
FS 250 - can work better than IRC 600 depending on antennas
IRC 600 works great with IRC Uno5800 and Duo5800 Rx - which can replace BP Rx if needed.

Rx
BP internal diversity Rx can work well with the IRC600 with the right antenna set up
Can always use an IRC Uno5800 or DUO5800 Rx to replace BP Rx if antennas aren't enough

**Antennas - good antennas appear to be the link to clear long distance FPV with a BP and Immersion 600 (or any Tx/Rx for that matter). Many many to choose from.
- I plan to start with 2 FS SpiroNets - one for the P2 one for the BP
- 2nd BP antenna - either a Patch, crosshair, or Helical ?? - havent decided but a 5 helical seems to be the preferred set up.
- Spironet on P2 mounted on right side bent pointing down
- Dji transmitter antenna sideways

So I think I will get this --> Black Pearl (F band), IRC600, 2 v2 Spironets, 1 IBCrazy Helical, and an iOSD mni. Good place to start?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for all of the info and awesome videos!

I know what you read about the DJI Controller antenna. The truth is that you should match the direction of the antenna with the P2. So the P2 has 2 tiny whip antennas on each leg front and back that are vertical. You should be parallel to them. It really is more important on the P2 end.

Jaybee said:
MrC said:

Try here: http://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/equipment/firs ... eiver.html

I bought one of those from there to use with my IRC600. Works reliably with some Horizon antennas although not done much range flying beyond 800m. Obviously good antennas + line of sight (5.8Ghz is crap if obstructed) are the key. If you want to do long distance stuff, I'd go for FS goggles with a helical.

The RCGeeks ones are SMA (male).

The SMA version is 7 channels (BAND F only) specifically designed to have best performance on Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies.

Source: http://www.rangevideo.com/en/58-ghz/55- ... nector-sma

RCGeeks one also say 32ch multi-band and they list the bands, A,B,E and F that it can use. My understanding is there is a version that only allows band F and works better with the IRC 600mw tx. Range video mentions this F-only version is also SMA and not RPSMA.

Also you say SMA (male), are you sure? Most seem to come with either sma female or rpsma female. The female/male description is confusing as they look opposite, ie external thread is female, internal thread is male.

Here is a pic of the types. -

Attachments

• SMA-RPSMA.png
    SMA-RPSMA.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,534
I know what you read about the DJI Controller antenna. The truth is that you should match the direction of the antenna with the P2. So the P2 has 2 tiny whip antennas on each leg front and back that are vertical. You should be parallel to them. It really is more important on the P2 end.[/quote]

Thanks, good to know … that one is easy to tinker with to find best position.

RCGeeks one also say 32ch multi-band and they list the bands, A,B,E and F that it can use. My understanding is there is a version that only allows band F and works better with the IRC 600mw tx. Range video mentions this F-only version is also SMA and not RPSMA.

Also you say SMA (male), are you sure? Most seem to come with either sma female or rpsma female. The female/male description is confusing as they look opposite, ie external thread is female, internal thread is male.

Here is a pic of the types. - [/quote]

The connector issue is a pain in the A** … few retailers tell you if male/female. I just ordered all my FPV stuff today, all SMA but have no idea what is SMA male or female. No doubt I will need some adapters.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews