Question about Landing

I have only used the autoland once. It lands way too rough for my comfort level. I land it manually either on clean pavement or I hand catch it to avoid dust and debris from hitting the camera or getting sucked in by the cooling fans.
Agreed, I use RTH, but as soon as I see the bird I cancel RTH and bring it in manually. If the ground is sandy or there are rocks (or whatever) that may impede the movement of the camera, or allow debris to get sucked into the bird I always grab it and stop the props.

Reactions: JWH
I always use a 30" plastic landing pad, that I purchased, for all takeoff's from dirt or grass. Landing is always hand catch, every time I fly!
I have a full size wheel case and that also makes a good takeoff platform. As does the hood or trunk of the car, when at a remote location.
At home I use the front or back porch!
Don't think there is ever a need to take off anywhere that debris may be sucked toward the P4.
Hood or trunk of a C A R ? A Corvette I take it, as the hood and top of my cars and truck are metal and completely scramble my P3A

I've used RTH auto landing twice.
Once as a test and once because I didn't check my smart phone battery before takeoff.
Both times the P4 landed within a couple of inches of where it took off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use a piece of polycarb cat-raft decking, or a fish filet board for takeoffs, or when in remote locations I use the backpack I carried my bird in. Landings are usually hand grab for reasons stated above. As far as Part 101 requisites, I'm not a member of the AMA community nor do I wish to be, and my ACTUAL community has no such guidelines. I hand catch.

I flew my P4 today and used RTH to bring it back. As I watched it descend vertically from about 130 ft. I saw it pause briefly about 12 ft. up and readjust its position horiizontally about 2 ft. to match takeoff position within inches. That was the first time I had noticed that. I didn't know about the visual landing aid before, but figured that was what was happening when I saw it.

I normally hand catch. The Part 101 rule makes perfect sense for fixed wing models and helicopters, but the DJI quads are very stable in hovering flight and I have never even come close to getting hit by a prop. I hand catch to prevent soiling the camera lens or possibly landing on a rock that could damage the camera or gimbal. And also to keep from breaking the landing gear, which already has some cracks on both sides from past hard landings and crashes.

I bought DJI Care for the first year and expect to get the P4 rebuilt after a hard crash. It already has a bent shell on one arm that was damaged in an 80 ft. fall on day 2. The shell damage doesn't affect function or performance, so I figure DJI wouldn't fix it under the warranty/insurance policy that is DJI Care. Then, too I would like to sell the P4 and upgrade to the P4P, and the shell damage does make it look like it's beat up enough to deter purchasers. Of course I could just buy a new shell for about $65 and replace it myself. The bird still flies perfectly.

It only uses the GPS when return home is pressed , NO photos are taken . Most times if I use return to home it lands with in 3ft of taking off . Which I am very happy with sometimes even more accurate with a few inches .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I disagree. I have a P4 and watched it pause about 12 ft. up and automatically adjust its position a foot or two while auto landing with no RC inputs and no wind. See my post further down.

FAA Part 101 requires adhering to a set of "community-based set of safety guidelines", which is the AMA Safety Code, which states "Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual."
If the FAA is watching, a lot of people are in trouble including me.

If the FAA is watching, a lot of people are in trouble including me.
Does the FAA specify that the AMA is THE designated "community" to which all drone owners belong? To me a community can be a group of people that self-identify as such, but is more commonly used to describe the people in a geographical region. I have a big problem with a non-governmental entity being able to establish rules that I as a non-member must adhere to.

The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO like the AMA. FAA doesn't list any CBO's. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Does the FAA specify that the AMA is THE designated "community" to which all drone owners belong? To me a community can be a group of people that self-identify as such, but is more commonly used to describe the people in a geographical region. I have a big problem with a non-governmental entity being able to establish rules that I as a non-member must adhere to.

I agree 100%.

Furthermore, they cease to fall into the "model aircraft" category once they decided that the drones require registration and a license for commercial operation.

I understand the rules for making sure that drones don't endanger bystanders. I am not endangering anyone but myself if I hand catch the drone. I have done it many times and very slowly. I have never felt that I was in any danger.

The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO like the AMA. FAA doesn't list any CBO's. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Yes. To date, the AMA is the only CBO they have acknowledged. If it ever became an issue (see next paragraph), one would have to articulate a viable alternative.

As to hand catching being "illegal".... it's silly of course, largely because the FAA is not ever going to be sending enforcement agents out on drone patrol. The FAA is and will likely always be an organizations whose investigations and enforcement actions are incident and complaint-based. That concept is translateable to the many drone-forum posters who indignantly predict dire consequences for those miscreants who transgress their drone flying expectations.

Furthermore, they cease to fall into the "model aircraft" category once they decided that the drones require registration and a license for commercial operation.

Correct. Their are two categories wherein you can fly your Phantom, either as a commercial UAV, or as a hobbyist flying a model aircraft. Each category has different rules and certification requirements.

Correct. Their are two categories wherein you can fly your Phantom, either as a commercial UAV, or as a hobbyist flying a model aircraft. Each category has different rules and certification requirements.
Model aircraft do not require registration, so I think your argument lacks merit. You may be a hobbyist, but you're flying a drone not a model aircraft and so I think that the AMA's guidelines should not apply.

Model aircraft do not require registration, so I think your argument lacks merit. You may be a hobbyist, but you're flying a drone not a model aircraft and so I think that the AMA's guidelines should not apply.
You should let the FAA know that you disagree.

yes they do... sUAS Registration
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 8.42.31 AM.png

You guys are taking way over my simple mind. The government exists just to screw with us.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app
Speaking as a retired government employee, sadly, I agree. The government does nothing effectively. That is precisely why we need to be careful to not do anything stupid and attract attention. Fly safe and be careful.

I am a retired F.A.A. employee, private pilot, and now a drone operator.

OK so they differentiate between model and non-model. I'm a non-model sUAS Remote Pilot, so again I don't see how I could be forced into the AMA "community" and their rules.
If you're certified under Part 107, and don't fly under Part 101, then the FAA sets your rules not the AMA. You can ignore the AMA's Safety Code because it doesn't apply to you.

From a practical standpoint, it's kind of a moot point. I'll bet that you will go your entire life without ever even meeting someone from the FAA no matter how you fly your drone.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews