Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Propellers too tight - missing ratchet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazyrider, Jul 21, 2016.

1. crazyrider

Hi Everyone,

My phantom 3 advanced is not even 3 weeks old but I managed to get into a minor incident. I was flying low outside my house and during landing, managed to side-sweep the house. The propellers hit the wall and the drone fell about 4 feet onto a bed of flowers in my yard (cannot get a softer landing than that). Absolutely no damage to the body, no scratches whatsoever but the propellers are a bit shot although there are no cracks or chips.
    Getting back to the main point, I tried to remove the propellers but they are a but too tight as a result of the fiasco. I searched a bit and saw that usually a wrench is supplied during purchase. However, I received no such thing and was wondering where I should buy one. I saw a few on amazon but want to make sure that it will fit.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 crazyrider, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. J Dot

Hello,
    Same thing happened to me, no wreck, just a flip on its side, but one prop was REALLY tight on my p2v, I also have no tool.
    I found if you grip the motor bell tightly with your hand, than tap the TRAILING EDGE ( low side of prop, or back side ), of prop with blunt object ( I used a Woode spoon handle ) gave her a couple taps, and off she came. I do not recommend this on good props, but if your props are TRUELY damaged, than a few more dings won't hurt anyhow. Give it some solid taps, don't lose your mind, just a couple decent taps should do. Just FYI it worked for me, as my prop was cracked at top anyhow. Flipped on its side on a landing, my fault. ( tried to land on uneven ground as a wire came untied and was hanging down from my gimbal ) I believe it tried to correct itself causing the flip, no damage except 2 prop tips were cracked. 1 was really tight, other came right off. But the tool is good to have for sure, but this might work until then?

J Dot
    :cool:

3. RJ_Make

J Dot likes this.
  4. crazyrider

I got in touch with Amazon customer support and they are offering a free replacement of the entire drone!
    Wonder whether I should do it? My drone is working wine albeit the minor accident.
    I told them some parts are missing (wrench, landing pads)

5. crazyrider

Thanks guys!
    J Dot, I will give your suggestion a try. if that doesn't work, I will order the kit.

J Dot likes this.
  6. Reed L

It really depends on which version you have because earlier P3's had different wrenches then the a series. Plus as far as I know, DJI doesn't sell just the wrenches. But a wrench can be made easy enough.

7. crazyrider

Quick update: After a chat with the Amazon rep, he said "no problem, your replacement drone is on the way!" . Frankly, didnt even ask for one but talk about great customer service! the new one will be here on tuesday and I have 30 days to ship back the existing one. I have mixed feelings since I had developed a bond with my phantom over the last few days.

JTC and Reed L like this.
  8. npalen

Be sure that you are turning the props in the correct direction when installing or removing. Very easy to get in wrong. (left and right hand threads)

crazyrider likes this.