Prop vs. Bird

Reaction score
There is a solid chance I'll strike a bird or more likely a bird will attack my P3. Those crows are teritorial and my home point is close to their nests. I try my best not to disturb them but sometimes they are very aggresive.
So, do I have a better chance of surviving with plastic or CF props? Plastic are probably more flexibile and CF are harder.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: tobeallque
I would do anything i can to minimise that chance. Even not flying on some locations at some time where there are lot's of birds. Or fly low, just mind your own business.

But If bird gets too interesting and try to attack i'll first execute few rapid moves trying to scare off that bird. Sound change of motors revs could maybe scare it off.

I think you can't escape with p3 if proper bird decided to attack you.

If that happens there is good change you both can lose a lot. i'll avoid that at any cost.

Yikes - find a new home point Neven at least during their nesting time (hatching their eggs) - it is very likely you come under attack at that time! Not likely you will out maneuver a crow or most birds for that matter. Ever see a bird attacking another in flight - the attacker moves like a shadow of its victim - fast and agile - your plastic bird is just not that agile in and up close and prop guard or not, a crow or crows will getcha eventually and down goes your Phantom. Safe "crow-less flying"!

Avoiding contact is my absolute priority. I only wanted to raise my odds of survival in worst scenario.

Avoiding contact is my absolute priority. I only wanted to raise my odds of survival in worst scenario
Your Phantom coming in contact with "any object" is likely to result in a bad outcome. The best way to avoid this is to fly elsewhere, consider yourself fortunate that you identified this peril before losing your investment.

Avoiding contact is my absolute priority. I only wanted to raise my odds of survival in worst scenario.

Yeah it's best not to fly there, you won't be able to out fly them and no matter what props you have if one of them stops, breaks or whatever it will fall and the bird/ birds will follow it either way. They don't give up easily.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Even if you have metallic props, P3s survival a crow attack is minimal, there are chances that you will kill the bird. Why do you want to do that? Move away to an open field.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
People that encounter seagull attacks state to fly straight up 50' when confronted then high tail it home. Have you considered a few rounds of rimfire or blanks "joe biden" style before flying to clear the area

Good advice as to a vertical climb to avoid birds - then head home.

Just to be clear however, it's not about how to clear away the birds in order to fly in a specific area. It should be all about finding a place where it's safe for both the Phantom and the birds! If you are flying in a known nesting area for crows etc. (and they do nest together in areas for a reason - to warn others of any predatory birds and animals). That's not only asking for trouble - it just doesn't make any sense!

Just as it's common sense to NOT fly in populated areas where humans and/or property can get injured/damaged - the same respect should apply to animals and/or birds when choosing a place to fly!

Reactions: alokbhargava
People that encounter seagull attacks state to fly straight up 50' when confronted then high tail it home. Have you considered a few rounds of rimfire or blanks "joe biden" style before flying to clear the area

I actualy do have that option :) Since most critical area is around my home point I usually have 6mm signal pistol loaded with 18mm firecracker. That is for extreme emergency.

Just to be clear however, it's not about how to clear away the birds in order to fly in a specific area. It should be all about finding a place where it's safe for both the Phantom and the birds! If you are flying in a known nesting area for crows etc. (and they do nest together in areas for a reason - to warn others of any predatory birds and animals). That's not only asking for trouble - it just doesn't make any sense!

Just as it's common sense to NOT fly in populated areas where humans and/or property can get injured/damaged - the same respect should apply to animals and/or birds when choosing a place to fly!

I'm not treehuger but I do respect nature. Those crows are pests. They are new to this area and they managed to scare all other birds out. Their numbers are huge. Enviromental services are removing their nests (while not hatching season) to protect other spicies from them since they have no natural enemy here. So I don't care about them too much.

Yep,agreed. I use to fly an amazing spot for distance but tons of seagulls. Bird went for a drink, suspected seagull hit, tempting as it is i'll never fly there again!

I'm not treehuger but I do respect nature. Those crows are pests. They are new to this area and they managed to scare all other birds out. Their numbers are huge. Enviromental services are removing their nests (while not hatching season) to protect other spicies from them since they have no natural enemy here. So I don't care about them too much.

That's nature. Red in tooth and claw (and beak). I'd still stay away from them the chances of your Phantom surviving a contact with a crow - no matter what prop - is fairly low. I use my Hubsan to chase them away from the bird feeders. Works OK EXCEPT during nesting season. But an X4 can survive the drop from a 100 foot tree with just a 5 cent prop as a repair. The Phantom - not so much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl