Prop guards

Was bating gettin refurbed but needs buy prop guards to add on it or it be good to go normal???

I say it depends what you are flying around. I definitely notice a difference in handling. I took them off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

if you are going to fly into something, someone, or tip over when landing / taking-off then they are well worth it yes. Nobody plans these they happen accidentally - so rather than ask us, ask yourself could this happen to me? (Most will say yes - so use them till you you are sure, they are inexpensive - I did)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The reason I ask is I have a set of P2 OEM DJI Prop guards brand new along with real nice quick release option.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

As a newbie who crashed 3 times in the first week, I put them on. I know they are like training wheels, and eventually I will take them off. It seems to have boosted my confidence. I haven't had so much as a close encounter since I put them on.

If I started from scratch, I would still have prop guards but probably quick release ones instead of the OEM ones I have.
Why?
Helps prevent body splitting under the motors, possibly.
The way I transport my Phantom, the guards give me extra protection.
Some people advocate leaving the props on regardless as in theory repeated removal and re-mounting could damage the threads

Does anyone know which Prop Guards are the best made and the strongest? I have read that some are better than others. Need to buys some, suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Best? Strongest? Better than others? In what way?
They should all be reasonably well made and strong, but ultimately they are not designed for you to go flying full pelt into a concrete tower. They are to protect against slow speed mishaps for inanimate objects and to prevent serious injury from spinning props for those objects that can bleed.
Come at a tree at the wrong angle and prop guards won't save you, nature designed twigs to poke out in all sorts of directions.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Come at a tree at the wrong angle and prop guards won't save you, nature designed twigs to poke out in all sorts of directions.
And especially for quad copters' props!

I purchased my prop guards from BestemAireal. Not affiliated with them in any way, but you get some great guards! They are not as cheap as the ebay ones, but they are very nice, strong, and the BestemAireal people stand behind their product.
Just remember, you are protecting and high$$$$ item.

Does anyone know which Prop Guards are the best made and the strongest? I have read that some are better than others. Need to buys some, suggestions welcomed. Thank you.
I bought removable ones from arizona on ebay. only ones I could find not being shipped from china that also weren't 4 times the price. $7 i think.
They took a 25 mph landing when I took off sideways from tree 50 feet up. Of course they were what hung up in the branch, requiring the sideways launch. but it would have been coming down either way.
That was my thinking, let them pop off taking energy away from drone arms. bolted on the energy has to keep going into the arms. I put red ones in back, and I can tell what the orientation is easier while I got used to it. guard came with hex bolts as well which I prefer.

I bought prop guards for my P3S shortly after I got it Christmas of 2015, and installed the brackets (these are the quick release type)-I have never used them, well that's not really correct, I did put them on for a short flight in my rather crowded back yard, and felt like they make my flyer look BIG, and LUMBERING, so I don't use them. but I still think they have a beneficial side effect-the brackets that the guards clip on also seem to have the added benefit of strengthening the area around the motors, saving the housing from the dreaded cracks around the motors. I do have the guards in my case and I'd throw them on if I felt it might save close-quarter brushes with walls or obstacles, and they are cheap enough so why not? A small investment, for a couple of reasons too, I think.

I have watched a few Utubes about guards. Some have said that some guards are "Great" and others are just "Cheap Plastic Junk". But they never named the good ones. It appears some are hollow and other are strong solid plastic. Any ideas or Web Sites?

I have watched a few Utubes about guards. Some have said that some guards are "Great" and others are just "Cheap Plastic Junk". But they never named the good ones. It appears some are hollow and other are strong solid plastic. Any ideas or Web Sites?
I got mine on amazon.com, but on your question about guards being solid or hollow. Remember it's also a trade-off weight vs strength. Some are round and others are crescent in shape regarding their structure. Guards are meant to protect your props at slow speed contact, don't think it's really necessary to get them so strong that they're going to work going 30 mph. Not sure if you live in the States because I have one extra set of brand new ones still in their plastic bags red and white that were never installed. Spent 20 on them but I'd be willing to sell them for 15 plus shipping.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I ordered some from China, didn't notice the "China" until after ordering. Been almost a month now, no delivery. Never again from China. Next order will be from USA only. Thank you for the offer WilliamM. I'll let you know how good and strong the China guards are. Prolly in another month. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT