Prop failed at 70m up but survived pretty well

I had a similar issue with Tri-props (not at that height) Glad to see it survived w/minimal damage and you were able to repair it.

I still like the props just need to dump them if I ever contact anything as they are prone to breaking after impact. I have ironically hit the same tree before and noticed a prop had a fracture about 80% through one blade when I landed. This time being aware of that I thought I checked very carefully for any prop damage but light was a little low and I may easily have missed a hairline fracture.

Pretty much any props you should really scraped after impacting anything unless you can guarantee its 100% fine which is pretty much impossible to do. I have broken carbon props as soon as they touched a small branch a few times so these arent quite as fragile as them but being so cheap not worth risking using them after possible damage. The stock 8 inch props take a real beating but I still wouldnt trust them after such an impact.

The fact that the OEM props are so tough is what leads people to assume non-DJI props are equally resilient. Potentially bad mistake. Sounds like you got an early Christmas present. A 70 >>foot<< fall is not trivial, let alone a 70 METER plunge!!! :lol:

PF

I was pretty surprised after watching it come down not far away from me that it wasnt just a pile of junk. I remember reading earlier of lots of people getting stock dji prop failures on f450 and f550 setups so even dji had some issues. I am actually still quite confident in these props as long as they are undamaged as I have pushed them to very high loads and speeds over at least 100 flights without issues. Hitting a tree cant be good for any prop and there is also the chance of a bad production batch.

I will stick to these for the time being but will try get some vision props and also tiger 9x3 carbons which should be a very high quality carbon prop.

Here is an example of the sort of loads I have put them to on many flights with a heavy phantom setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWkaNL0JQM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHY5zXXk5E[/youtube]

Hi,

Glad to see you didn't completely crush your Phantom. May I ask a "newbe" question? What is the advantage of tri-props, and where do you buy them?

/Lars

The advantage is they give more lift and so either faster speeds or better flight times especially when running heavy with gimbal fpv and everything else. You may want to try the new vision props as they should be higher lift then the stock phantom props and I will give them a try once I find some locally. These are called GWS 9050x3 and can be found online, I get mine from multiwiicopter in australia.

Theoretically the 9050x3 will still give more lift then any 9 inch prop but efficiany in a dual blade is better so it all will come down to some testing but guys are reporting great flight times from the vision props on a regular phantom and going by the 25 min flight time on the vision they must be pretty good at lifting a bit of weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94