Premiere Pro hardware

Reaction score
Hi gang - I built a new computer for video editing a while back and I'm not satisfied with the performance. Wondering what you think the bottleneck is? It's Windows 10, EVGA Classified K MB w/ 32GB RAM, Intel i5 processor, and three SSD drives. Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4 GB. I suspect the problem is the video card power. Any suggestions? When I scroll through source video, or watch the preview it's sometimes jerky.

looks like you have a pretty good hardware. What model Intel i5 processor you have, and what motherboard are you using?.

There are quite a few i5 processors out there . I think your bottleneck is the i5 processor you have.

looks like you have a pretty good hardware. What model Intel i5 processor you have, and what motherboard are you using?.

There are quite a few i5 processors out there . I think your bottleneck is the i5 processor you have.

It's a i5-6500 3.2GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 cores, 4 logical processors. MB is EVGA Classified K.

I just finished putting together a system for video processing. I-7 7700 4.2, 16 megs ram (for starters), 1060 w/6 gig, 1 terrabyte SSHD boot drive, 4 terrabyte 7200rpm storage, WIN 10 pro 64, Asus MG28UQ 4K monitor. Handles Adobe Premiere Pro well. Money well spent. Time is money and it renders FAST!

i5 processor is your slowdown, upgrading that to an i7 (7700K) would give you better performance due to the hyper-threading. Unless your budget allows you to move up to a six or 8 core cpu. Also setting up your SSD's as follows can help:

Primary Drive - OS/Software (SSD) - Includes your operating system and the base Premier installation. An SSD is highly recommended as it will greatly improve how fast the OS and programs startup, but there is usually not much of a performance benefit to upgrade to a faster NVMe drive.
Secondary Drive - Project Files (SSD/M.2 NVMe) - If possible, it is a good idea to separate your project files and disk cache onto a secondary drive. For most users a standard SSD will work fine, but if you work with RAW footage there can be a large performance benefit to using a M.2 NVMe drive.
Optional Tertiary Drive - Dedicated Media Cache/Scratch (SSD/M.2 NVMe) - Using a dedicated SSD for your media cache and scratch files can at times improve performance when playing and scrubbing through compositions. Upgrading to an even faster NVMe drive can give some performance gains, but the difference is more pronounce in other applications like After Effects.

Reactions: Rob Levine
i5 processor is your slowdown, upgrading that to an i7 (7700K) would give you better performance due to the hyper-threading. Unless your budget allows you to move up to a six or 8 core cpu. Also setting up your SSD's as follows can help:

Primary Drive - OS/Software (SSD) - Includes your operating system and the base Premier installation. An SSD is highly recommended as it will greatly improve how fast the OS and programs startup, but there is usually not much of a performance benefit to upgrade to a faster NVMe drive.
Secondary Drive - Project Files (SSD/M.2 NVMe) - If possible, it is a good idea to separate your project files and disk cache onto a secondary drive. For most users a standard SSD will work fine, but if you work with RAW footage there can be a large performance benefit to using a M.2 NVMe drive.
Optional Tertiary Drive - Dedicated Media Cache/Scratch (SSD/M.2 NVMe) - Using a dedicated SSD for your media cache and scratch files can at times improve performance when playing and scrubbing through compositions. Upgrading to an even faster NVMe drive can give some performance gains, but the difference is more pronounce in other applications like After Effects.
Hey thanks. I have the three SSDs. I guess I'll hafta upgrade to the i7.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I actually wanted to touch base back with you. The i5 most likely is getting over loaded however, replacing the graphics card will improve your jerky video playback issues.

"Not only will a good GPU improve the time it takes to encode a video, it can also drastically improve the amount of your timeline that can be viewed without needing to generate previews first. Adobe has been increasing support for GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro through their Mercury Playback Engine, but not everything has GPU acceleration quite yet."

Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen