Power Plant, safe or not?

Reaction score
I guys,

I have been asked by a local marketing company to go take some footage from a power plant. I am worried that all that energy might cause some interference like the power lines do when drones get too close. I have a p3p and would like to take all the precautions before this gig.

Good Day

Better check with the power plant, first. It may be illegal to fly over it.

Assuming the marketing company has received permission to fly over it I don't think you'll have an issue. I've flown around my company and we are very close to 70,000 volt lines

Your only problem will occur if you hit one of the wires.

I have done a similar sort of thing for a nature reserve that was once a power plant ten years ago, there is no evidence left that the beautiful land i was flying over was once a power plant which was the whole idea of the video. What was left underground tho did play havoc with the p3's compass, i had lots of compass errors and throwing the craft into atti pretty much were ever i tried to take off and sometimes at altitude but not to high. The p3 compass is very sensitive compared to other phantom crafts and this will be your biggest worry.

I agree that compass interference is the most likely to occur versus RF or 'control' interference.

The fly is for the company, they hired us to take some pictures and footage. The compass is what worries me, specially for the fly aways, maybe i can avoid it throwing the craft into ATTI mode and fly manually but i am not sure if that would work

You should be fine. A local drone survey company regularly flies near 500,000v lines from our nuke plant (hired by them...all legal) using DJI brains, no issue.

Reactions: Rodrigo Leal
I thought all power plants were off limits due to security reasons? There was a guy here who was in legal trouble for flying in an empty parking lot next to a power plant. I would do some checking prior to the job.

A quick search turned up this -

Shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks, NRC, working with representatives of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Defense (DOD), determined that a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), issued by the FAA, was the appropriate vehicle to protect the airspace above sensitive sites. This NOTAM strongly urged pilots to not circle or loiter over the following sites: nuclear/electrical power plants, power distribution stations, dams, reservoirs, refineries, or military installations or they can expect to be interviewed by law enforcement personnel.

I have flown fairly near 475,000 v lines - remember the field around the lines drops off with the inverse square law - you need to be pretty close to cause problems - less so in wet weather.
I have walked on hills under powerlines and actually started buzzing myself - scary but didnt feel anything!!!

I thought all power plants were off limits due to security reasons? There was a guy here who was in legal trouble for flying in an empty parking lot next to a power plant. I would do some checking prior to the job.

A quick search turned up this -

Shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks, NRC, working with representatives of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Defense (DOD), determined that a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), issued by the FAA, was the appropriate vehicle to protect the airspace above sensitive sites. This NOTAM strongly urged pilots to not circle or loiter over the following sites: nuclear/electrical power plants, power distribution stations, dams, reservoirs, refineries, or military installations or they can expect to be interviewed by law enforcement personnel.

Thank you my friend, but i don't think that is a big legal issue in my country, plus the Power Plant is the one that hired the company that subcontracted me for the aerial shots. So again, the only issue i was worried about was magnetic fields in that kind of facility (doing more research i have found that it is a coal powered power plant, generating almost 300K MW

It's polite when asking a question such as this to at least say the country. I would say a large number are from the US it would save some the bother.

So we're are you from?

Thank you my friend, but i don't think that is a big legal issue in my country, plus the Power Plant is the one that hired the company that subcontracted me for the aerial shots. So again, the only issue i was worried about was magnetic fields in that kind of facility (doing more research i have found that it is a coal powered power plant, generating almost 300K MW

My apologies, I assume you were in the US.
Putting some basic info in your profile isn't such a bad idea. ;)

Your question was generally directed towards the interference, so in a way you did not really need to say location.
I meant to edit that but editing here with cell phone is not the best.
But assumptions can get sucked into the mix. :)

Reactions: Rodrigo Leal
It's polite when asking a question such as this to at least say the country. I would say a large number are from the US it would save some the bother.

Wellllll...... :rolleyes: he waaaas asking a technical question, not so much legal. On the legal side of things, maybe a better response would be to say "hey, keep in mind, depending on where you are, in the US.....". Just sayin'.

Reactions: Tedv
On Monday I was going to take pictures of a solar thermal plant in the Mojave desert. 3 minutes into flight, at 400 ft, and 1/4 mile from panels I got a battery error message and luckily got quad back. Battery is blinking four LEDS and dealer says it's shot. The battery manual says to keep it away from elctro magnetic fields. Others have told me that electro magnetic can really toy with small chips and electronics. Power plants create huge electro magnetic fields when transferring energy. Maybe just a coincidence, but I wont be trying that again.

Reactions: bobmyers
Wow Guatemala.... This site never fails to amaze me of the mix of individuals and location's. Thanks for the thumbs up Rodrigo.... And good luck on the ventures, share when you can...

Archerman sorry I must of all slipped the other post to Rodrigo before you sorry, I made that observation too.
Let the thread roll.,

Reactions: acherman
Wow Guatemala.... This site never fails to amaze me of the mix of individuals and location's. Thanks for the thumbs up Rodrigo.... And good luck on the ventures, share when you can...,

Great country, many beautiful places to fly and visit, I haven't have many videos yet but this one was the first I recorded with the p3p

hope you like

Reactions: Tedv

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart