Poor range+interference (ImersionRC 600 mW+BP)

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have very poor range. I just got this fpv set up. I'm still pretty new to FPV flying.
-blackpearl 7channel. [I use Band F ch1 and NTSC, set to DIV mode]
-ImmersionRC 600 mW transmitter
-SpiroNet 5.8 GHz RHCP Antenna - SMA Male/ fatshark ImmersionRC
-Mini iOSD DJI
-H3 2D gimbal
-DJI phantom 2
-gopro 3+ Black with wifi off on NTSC

I have read a dozen blogs and posts to try to find the solution but most issues were solved because they were using the wrong version of BP. They use the 32 ch one instead of the 7ch one.

So right now, the interference is overwhelming at only 10-25 meters distance..and I have seen people with the exact same setup having 1 km+ range while I have this horrible range.

I have several guesses what the problem is.
1.the orientation of the antenna on the transmitter is not optimal
2.the transmitter and/or receiver is defective [not likely]
3.bad antennas/bad quality transimtter

Thanks for the help folks!

Attachments

• IMG_8177.JPG
    IMG_8177.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_8178.JPG
    IMG_8178.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,056
Hi there. I'm having these same issues. Impossible to see past 200 m noisy at around 50-100 m what chamnal are you running your vtx on I have heard that can cause problems if it a not the ideal one for the receiver. I think mine is set to the seccond last (can't see a chart right now) if yours is the same as that maybe we both have the same channal issues.

I have a couple other minor suggestions:
-your transmit antenna really isn't really the best or in an ideal place. That is what we call a "directional" antenna, it only puts out signal in the direction facing the black part right? so basically you're shooting your strongest FPV signal diagonally out the rear right of the Phantom (when it's facing away from you). I'm attaching 2 pictures with (imo) better antenna placement with the signal going out more uniformly "down" from the Phantom, so that no matter what direction it's facing as long as the Phantom is above you, you should get better signal.

Alternately, you could get a better omnidirectional transmit antenna (remember, you need an SMA-Male antenna connector for your SMA-Female ImmersionRC transmitter) so that it doesn't matter where exactly it's pointed, it puts out a spherical signal in every direction: example this Pentalobe or this Pinwheel from FPVLR, but you still want the lobe to hang down below the legs so that the gimbal or legs don't block the signal (bottom picture). If you're going to go with a better transmit antenna from FPVLR, you may as well go for the kit and get premium receiver antennas as well. I can elaborate on this later if you want
maxresdefault.jpg

20140210_124005.jpg

position-pinwheel-01.png

also regarding antenna placement: you know that little silver box on the leg of the Phantom right next to your transmit antenna? that's the compass for your Phantom, and it probably doesn't enjoy having a transmit antenna right next to it. I humbly suggest you should move your IRC600 so that the antenna either points straight out the back, straight out the side, or diagonal towards the rear-LEFT leg not the rear-right with the compass like you have.

Those things above should really help. Let's start there and at least get you a few hundred meters of signal and then if you're still unhappy with performance we can talk about premium antennas.

last item: I myself was having interference problems when I was using a RC mount for my display like the one in your picture... even though they are different frequencies I think it's possible to have the receiver "too close" to the RC antenna and get interference. all my interference went away when I switched to this 3d-printed RC display mount

i've exactly the same set-up as the op, maximum i fly too is 500metres. It does get a bit flaky/snowy but normally only lasts a second or 2 when something is in the way, but always been watchable

Joesrevolution said:
Hi there. I'm having these same issues. Impossible to see past 200 m noisy at around 50-100 m what chamnal are you running your vtx on I have heard that can cause problems if it a not the ideal one for the receiver. I think mine is set to the seccond last (can't see a chart right now) if yours is the same as that maybe we both have the same channal issues.

I am not aware that you can take the channel on the transmitter?
Any tip on how to do that?

QYV said:
last item: I myself was having interference problems when I was using a RC mount for my display like the one in your picture... even though they are different frequencies I think it's possible to have the receiver "too close" to the RC antenna and get interference. all my interference went away when I switched to this 3d-printed RC display mount

Wow! thanks for the detailed feedback. Honestly I was thinking about returning these spironet antennas and getting these antennas (http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97), but after knowing it might be the interference from the controller..maybe not.

But aren't they on difference frequencies? why would it still interfere? (control 2.4, video 5.8)

This video shows using tin foil to clear/correct the signal? is this the deal in my case?
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usntXcGsIYc)

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely try to change the position of the monitor and return with the results!

chengt1 said:
But aren't they on difference frequencies? why would it still interfere? (control 2.4, video 5.8)

your logic is sound (they are different frequencies after all) but it sort of doesn't matter what frequency it's on, think about it you've got the transmit antenna from the Phantom RC right there next to the internals at the back of the display... it doesn't have to be "frequency" interference it can simply be power interference. It not next to the antennas, it's right there next to the back/bottom of the display.

anyway that's why I always suggest getting a different monitor mount which moves the display a few inches away and works much better. I personally started off with my RC mounted like in your video and was getting weird interference until I got the other mount then I haven't had any since

QYV said:
Alternately, you could get a better omnidirectional transmit antenna[/url]

I do believe my fatshark spironets are omni direction...or are they not?

i bought them from here
http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-antenna ... p-821.html

and I assumed them to be the same as these....
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1058
http://www.amazon.com/ImmersionRC-Fatsh ... B00OI9IY0C

these do say explicitly that they are OMNI directional... so did I buy the wrong kind? they looked so similar!

and if I may ask what the difference between circularly polarized antennas and omni antennas are? are they not the same?

G'day,
I couldn't get beyond 50m, and 35m was about the maximum, and then the store suggested changing channels on the transmitter and receiver, and I got out to 250m, but still lose signal if trees get in the way, but the difference between one channel and the next was mindblowing. I'd never expected such a huge difference.
I can't tell you what my setup is, I bought it from a Hobby Shop all set up for me. All I know is I have a Black Pearl 7" monitor, and one short black aerial and one bulbous round topped white aerial on it, and a bulbous white one on the quad. (Yeah, I'm full of technical details).

I have immersion rc 600mw, black pearl 7 channel SMA
Antennas: two bluebeam ultras one ibcrazy 5 turn helical

On black pearl I'm on channel or band F. In open areas I regularly get 1500 meters before I have any FPV breakup on my monitor. Just sharing that info.

I have the 32ch black pearl (rp-sma) and immrc 600mw. With stock whips I get 1300+m although it's sometimes ugly. Swapping one of the bp whips for a 14 dBi cheapo panel gave beautiful video to 1800m but I've only had one flight that way. I have more antennas to try too.

Okay guys. here is the most recent update.

I have changed the orientation of the monitor and yeah that makes a GREAT difference.[i have uploaded pictures]
I also changed the orientation of the antenna on the drone so it is at the back of the drone[where battery is pulled out] pointing downwards.

Its video range has increased from 5 meter distance to around 250 meters...but I am still not satisfied.

This 500 dollars set up was supposed to be around 1 km range in the open. Any ideas? Could it really be bad antennas? These were not cheap, but not super expensive either. 40 bucks per pair. Or is there another issue? thanks!

knuckles said:
I have immersion rc 600mw, black pearl 7 channel SMA
Antennas: two bluebeam ultras one ibcrazy 5 turn helical

On black pearl I'm on channel or band F. In open areas I regularly get 1500 meters before I have any FPV breakup on my monitor. Just sharing that info.

do you mean you have no static interference AT ALL? like no flashes or ANY break off at all for 1500 meters...? that is darn impressive. I start getting break up at 0-100 meters but I just push through.

Attachments

• IMG_8337.JPG
    IMG_8337.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_8339.JPG
    IMG_8339.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_8340.JPG
    IMG_8340.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 638
Have you tried going back to the stock whip "rubber duck" antennas foe a comparison test to see if its possibly the fat sharks causing the problem?
I was able to get 900+m on the stock rubber ducks, albeit in a large open area. I'm using an ImmersionRC 600mw Tx and BP 7 channel as well,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 671
chengt1 vs knuckles: I think the key difference there is knuckles is running a 5-turn helix long range receiver antenna, and you aren't. Looks like your 2nd antenna is just the stock little hard rubber one that everything comes with right? that's a HUGE difference.

I AM legit impressed at the guy getting 900m with them... on the transmitter too? although I suppose in an open field facing away as long as they're in line... still. impressive.

QYV said:
chengt1 vs knuckles: I think the key difference there is knuckles is running a 5-turn helix long range receiver antenna, and you aren't. Looks like your 2nd antenna is just the stock little hard rubber one that everything comes with right? that's a HUGE difference.

I AM legit impressed at the guy getting 900m with them... on the transmitter too? although I suppose in an open field facing away as long as they're in line... still. impressive.

Yes, on both my ImmersionRC 600mw and the BP 7ch I was running stock rubber ducks (still new to FPV flying). And yeah, it was a very large open field with a gradual incline.

I'm trying out some old stock blue beam whips and a 5 turn helical and for whatever reason I'm getting more video break up from those, erratically than the stock antennas.

there's all sorts of reasons that could be, when I first got into all this I didn't realize that antennas were frequency-tuned, like if you have 2.4Ghz antennas and try to use them on 5.8Ghz they don't work well... stuff like that. Even in the same range apparently they have optimal frequencies, when I bought my FPVLR's it had a range but a single recommended/best frequency.

anyway...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl