Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Hi all

I have a question about 3dpower Gimbal.

Do I need to do adjustment after installation?

I installed and tested it looks working properly.

However, after installation. I want to follow the first post via simplebgc? (the software), after that it keeps moving by itself.

I did re-cali and write the profile (downloaded from first post), it was solved. I am going to install another 3dpower gimbal for my friend.

I want to make sure, Do I really need to do something with the SimpleBGC?

I know, it makes better setting for better performance. If it is true, how much difference i can expect?

Using the original Tarco Gimbal is not recommended?

Please let me know

While installing my V3 mount one of the pins on the IMU cable broke. Does anyone know what type of connectors this IMU cable is and where I might be able to get it before Monday?

This is really frustrating. I've been working on this and that for the better part of a month with the goal of getting everything right before vacation on Monday. Now this one little cable... :x

My gimbal showed up on Friday. Ordered previous Saturday; with expedited shipping. Dang fast. Easy installation. I secured some of the wires a bit better; other than that I went right by their website instructions.

Out of the box it's adjustment/setup is pretty dang close, not too much needs to be adjusted. Settings in assistant software are very close to their recommended (I have -750 for downward travel, they have -800. I have 125 for upward, they recommend 150). I do have a bit of jittering at far limits of travel, but I'm sure I can correct that in the calibration software.

I have a 7th channel lever from my previous gimbal; so that was just a bit of time downgrading my Assistant software, etc to version 2.0, then fine tuning a bit of the gimbal range of motion, etc.

I did lose one of the shock absorber protector plates. In my haste I forgot to locktite them. I've sent them a request for an extra. I also suggested they switch over to self locking nuts (nylon retainer built into the nut). I also suggested to them to provide an extra protector plate, since those things get lost easily.

I've also got a bit of jello; probably due to one shock absorber held in via zip tie. I'm going to order some stiffer gimbal shock absorbers from their website, given the increased weight of the gimbal compared to stock. I'm sure I'll have it smooth in no time.

I'm overall quite impressed; especially given the very reasonable price. Here's my initial positives
-price is great.
-Shipping and customer service are very responsive. If something breaks I bet I'll have replacement parts within a week.
-works well pretty much right out of the box.
- mechanical parts seem very well constructed, made of durable plastics.
-looks easy to repair.
-Weight seems reasonable; I see no negative effect on my P2V performance, etc. (I have two batteries at about 90% rated capacity and went from a Dronexpert gimbal to this one; so I can't really accurate compare battery life to the stock gimbal).

My only negatives:
-I'm a bit concerned about the exposed electronics board. I may try to widget out some sort of cover for the board, and will certainly epoxy over the micro USB connector; since It is only affixed it appears by very tiny solder connections.
-Wire to gyro on camera mount is made of very thin wire; easy to snag. It probably needs some sort of flexible protective wrap to ensure a wire does not get torn from plugs.
-Previous comment over shock absorber protector plate; no locking nuts, no spares provided.

The few negatives can be worked around.

OK, here I am. About a week's worth of playing with gains, gimbal settings, dampeners, etc. This is the best I can get.

I'm open to suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al99ryr ... e=youtu.be

Camera is balanced on gimbal. Props balanced. DJI stock props.

This is:
ROLL = 10/.1/16 Power = 120
PITCH =10/.08/17 Power = 100

NAZA is 120-120-140-150
200/200

I've gone up/down/all around on various settings. Nothing gets rid of the shakes

At this point I'm ready to take a bath on this and just get a P2V+

Personally I think you have your gains set too high on your NAZA. I have mine set at 120 120 110 110, 85 85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnbowen said:
Personally I think you have your gains set too high on your NAZA. I have mine set at 120 120 110 110, 85 85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've lowered them down to the defaults, which are still higher than what you not. I'll give those a try.

I have been getting on average 17 min flight times.. now the gimbal with camera weighs 165 grams which should account for about 3 min of flight loss. considering 1.2 sec. per gram of added weight. I am trying to come up with a way to find out how much are the gimbal motors and control board consuming during flight in milliamps to account for the additional 8 to 9 minutes of flight time loss. of course you have to also consider aerodynamics of the additional resistance.
I emailed Taco-rc and they say consumption should be less than one 1 amp. if you look up the specs. of a LD power 2208 gimbal motor nominal is: constant current of 6 amp, peak 11 amp and .6 amp no load. (which means just sitting there with position correction)

My max take off weight is 1330 g with the V3 shell. Factory stock weight is 1165g.

I ordered mine today...fingers crossed.
BTW, I am reading a ton on this message board. I am extremely grateful for this group!

I just weighed my P2V with the gimbal and I do not have the V3 shell I just modified my original shell to accept the IMU on the top and my all up weight is 1321 g. Would be interesting to see what others weigh...I flew yesterday in approximately 8mph winds and from a fully charged battery down to 30% I got 12 minutes and 48 seconds of flight time flying non aggressively practicing figure 8 patterns through the trees.

1327 grams with modified V1 gimbal ( egg shell camera holder ) empty battery, and cloverleaf antenna.

Hi Guys,
first post on this forum, I have been following this Gimbal thread since the begining. I now have my Taco gimbal up & running, wow, what a massive improvement over standard. Mine is a second gen, ie first plug & play, with the velco cam holder, now upgraded to the V3 holder. In the short time I had the velcro version, I wasnt able to solve the titled horizon, but it's not an issue now with V3. Channel 7 is activated on my Tx. A Massive thanks to Slacker, Noel, Richard & many others for being the first to experimant & post. I have used your profiles & settings sugested on the first page. Profile 2 adjusted for V3 plus increased gains & cam range of movement adjustments. I am VERY HAPPY, thank you all. :D
For those thinking about buying this, what's not to like ?? a reasonable price, good delivery times, email responses from the manufacturer, quite good quality & good video results. I think it could be made a little lighter & I am currently working on my own (copy) design.
For the record, I have NOT had the dreaded shakes and so far no and "jello", my damper bolts are through the nuts approx 2 turns ( so very lightly compressed)
Once during compas Cal, stage 2 (nose down rotation) I had the camera end up facing backwards, so i rebooted the phantom & all was fine. I never Max my P2V out for range, so I cant tell you if range is affected, buy hey, there is now a wopping big motor next to the internal Antenna so it cant help (on this, or any gimbal) ;)
below is a link to my second test Video, an evening on the beach.
http://youtu.be/PuZilJehXFI
cannard.

SilentAV8R said:
Can you share your gimbal PID/power and NAZA gains?
Certainly,
Naza Gains,standard except for the vertical. 120, 120, 120,190(vertical)
Manual control / Pitch speed 3
PID/Power are those of SlackerATX profile number 2 on page one of this thread.(thank's again Slacker)
Gimbal pitch range set in assistant to 100, -100,-900 and in the GUI under RC tab, set to -5 & 95 ( I may change this back to 90 as at extreme vertical & a bit of wind, the gimbal will jump, as seen by others)
And the final adjustment was to the newly positioned (horizontal) IMU ( look back a page or 2 for the paramenters, i forgot to note them down)
So, in short all figures used were from this thread, without experimentation of my own.
good Luck.
canard.

BTW for those who are experiensing the gimbal tilting down as soon as it wakes up when the battery is turned on, I fix that with a small SPDT on-off switch which i installed with a double sided tape to the control board.

That way i can start up the Phantom and while its acquiring the satellites i can tilt up the gimbal on the smartphone then when ready to fly just switch on the gimbal wait till it centers and off you go!!

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 431

Recent Posts

Members online