Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

grochester said:
How long should acc. and gyro calibration take and how do you know when it's complete? The BGC manual mentions 3-4 seconds in a couple of places, but when I try it I just get a note at the bottom left that calibration has started. The numbers and arrows on the gauges keep changing and moving, but the process never seems to end. Someone mentioned in an earlier post getting a green check mark. I see a green check mark in the manual, but nothing like that in the GUI. Maybe I'm just not technical enough, but I find the manual and/or the way it's written pretty much indecipherable.

Look at the light at the botton of the controller. When you click calibrate it will start to flash. When its done it will go solid. Check out the 6 point calibration youtube video in OP.

I'm afraid the green check mark referenced earlier was a misnomer. Possibly related to imu calibration in dji assistant software. (Entirely unrelated)

Thanks tizzl and Slacker. I've been trying to get rid of horizon shift when yawing with the Velcro camera and IMU mount while waiting for the V3 mount. So far no success, and I don't think the gimbal is giving me as good results as I had to begin with. I think the sensor is just mis-mounted on the Velcro version.

grochester said:
Thanks tizzl and Slacker. I've been trying to get rid of horizon shift when yawing with the Velcro camera and IMU mount while waiting for the V3 mount. So far no success, and I don't think the gimbal is giving me as good results as I had to begin with. I think the sensor is just mis-mounted on the Velcro version.

it is..the eggshell holder offers a better mounting location for the IMU. I recommend anybody who has the v1 taco to get the discounted eggshell v3 camera holder.

Just ordered the new V3 gimbal. Looking forward to it. I originally bought the P2V for photography but I've ended up taking a surprising amount of video with it too; it's just so much fun to fly around!

Hopefully I don't have too much trouble with the set up. I haven't seen any info on these questions, so hopefully those that know don't mind answering:

1) Are there any range-ill effects from attaching the gimbal? I.e., does range suffer as a result of having the Vision's antenna partially covered?

2) How is battery life affected? Obviously this gimbal will add a bit of weight.

Thanks.

I just received the V3 mount and it does look and feel way better than the V1/V2 version!
It's also way better balanced. Now with no power it's sitting 100% straight!
I'm not 100% sure how to mount the "gyroscope" sensor, but I think that as long as it's sitting straight and calibrated all should be fine.

Anyway.. This Taco gimbal starts to look better and better!
I guess his next version will be a 3-Axis one!

Re: New Plug-N-Play 3DPower Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Based on their instructions like this:
http://www.taco-rc.com/3DPBGP2VV3.html
3DPBGP2VV3%202.jpg

Hmmm not sure if I've seen a fix for my problem in this thread or not (did not find it till now)

Problem is that it's default camera position is facing all the way down (I've done a SBGC 6 point IMU calibration, and set things as needed in the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant.
When I tilt up all the way it's still facing about 45 degrees down!

I guess an easy way would be to rotate the egg shell 45 degrees on the motor, but for sure this can also been done with the SimpleBGC GUI.
Problem is.. Where!!!

Noël said:
Hmmm not sure if I've seen a fix for my problem in this thread or not (did not find it till now)

Problem is that it's default camera position is facing all the way down (I've done a SBGC 6 point IMU calibration, and set things as needed in the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant.
When I tilt up all the way it's still facing about 45 degrees down!

I guess an easy way would be to rotate the egg shell 45 degrees on the motor, but for sure this can also been done with the SimpleBGC GUI.
Problem is.. Where!!!

you have to change your z axis around..check the posts in this thread..it is listed somewhere. ill look..brb.

SlackerATX said:
urgno said:
amrflyingdude said:
For the V3 you have to change the Axis to "z" "-y" to let the sensor know you are positioning it the IMU horizontally instad of vertical.
do you have to switch other parameters or just axis ?
I mean changing also roll / pitch values ...

All you should have to change is the Top axis to Z and the Right axis to -Y. I included a V3 profile in the OP you can compare with.

here you go.

Thank you for the info, but I've already changed that.
Axis TOP: Z
Right: -Y

The movements are all correct when moving the P2V. It's just that the camera's default setting is facing down after startup, and that I can not get the camera more than 45 degrees up.

Noël said:
Thank you for the info, but I've already changed that.
Axis TOP: Z
Right: -Y

The movements are all correct when moving the P2V. It's just that the camera's default setting is facing down after startup, and that I can not get the camera more than 45 degrees up.

hmmm..and you've changed your gimbal settings in phantom assistant i see..the next step is to go to (i think the 2nd or 3rd tab in SimpleBGC GUI. there is also a gimbal setting there, however i cannot remember off the top of my head what i have them set to.) i think it is also here somewhere in this thread.

tizzl10 said:
Erroneous007 said:
SlackerATX said:
- Plug-N-Play - No soldering, no disassembly of the phantom frame

Update the gimbal gains in DJI assistant software
You've got to essentially turn off the gimbal controller built into the phantom so it's managed by the new Basecam controller by setting the tilt gain to 0. You also have to adjust the center point and range of the tilt control and slow down the speed of the tilt. Here is an exampled with a good starting point.

gimbal-settings.gif

Load the default profile onto the controller

Thanks Slacker for all of the information! Regarding the Servo Travel Limits above. I installed the 7th channel lever, which worked, but I noticed that the sensitivity was not very good. If you go into Simple BGC GUI under the RC tab, the Taco profile sets the Pitch Min and Max angles at -35 and 180. If you change those to 0 and 90 and then go to the RC assistant and change the pitch t0 1000, -100, -900 that sets the gimbal up to turn 90 degrees (horizontal to straight down and give a lot more sensitive control with the lever. You might have to adjust to slightly difference numbers, but it gives you a larger range and smaller increments with each slight move of the lever. (I also set LPF to zero to reduce lag and speed to 30 to increase the rotational speed and and in the R assistant changed the manual pitch speed to 40. But those can be adjusted to individual taste.) I should mention that I am still using the velcro mount. My other mount is on order.

thanks for posting this..definitely helped with the sensitivity!

Before purchasing the new V3 mount I had a go at modifying my original mount and took my Dremel tool with an end mill bit and took my time notching out a flat are on top to mount the IMU. Used a little hot glue to mount it in place and got rid of the velcro. I noticed that the mount will hold the camera pretty good but it had a tendency to slide forward so I just applied a few small drops of hot glue between the rear of the camera and the mount to hold it in place. I loaded the new profile and performed a calibration and from bench testing it, it is working great. Prior I was having some stuttering issues when moving it around rather quickly now with the IMU mounted on the top I don't see those issues any longer and it seems to be a bit more responsive. It also is much more balanced without that velcro strap.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 476
I'm getting decrease wifi range after installing the V3 gimbal. I think it is because it blocks one of the antenna.
I'm also get jello artifact. Any helps?

Never mind... Found the problem.

It was an ID 10 T error (read IDIOT)

In the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant the F2 Center was set to 500.. It should have been -500
It was even me who posted that image the 1st time \-:

All okay now (-:

Noël said:
Never mind... Found the problem.

It was an ID 10 T error (read IDIOT)

In the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant the F2 Center was set to 500.. It should have been -500
It was even me who posted that image the 1st time \-:

All okay now (-:

lol. been there..

ddang said:
I'm getting decrease wifi range after installing the V3 gimbal. I think it is because it blocks one of the antenna.
I'm also get jello artifact. Any helps?

How bad is your range suffering with this gimbal?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164