Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Re: New Plug-N-Play 3DPower Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

When I click the "Calib. Gyro" button there a note appears at the bottom left saying Gyro Calibration started, but the calibration never stops. I have left it for more than an hour and it's still calibrating. I suspect this has something to do with the wonky horizon problem when I change direction. Possible that the IMU is not mounted properly? Appreciate any thoughts.
It does a good job of maintaining a flat horizon once it finds it, but aim in a different direction and it loses the flat horizon. Also the pitch changes. It goes from pointing down a bit (if that's where I've aimed it) to pointing up a bit. If I continue all the way around, 360 degrees it goes back down.

grochester said:
When I click the "Calib. Gyro" button there a note appears at the bottom left saying Gyro Calibration started, but the calibration never stops. I have left it for more than an hour and it's still calibrating. I suspect this has something to do with the wonky horizon problem when I change direction. Possible that the IMU is not mounted properly? Appreciate any thoughts.
It does a good job of maintaining a flat horizon once it finds it, but aim in a different direction and it loses the flat horizon. Also the pitch changes. It goes from pointing down a bit (if that's where I've aimed it) to pointing up a bit. If I continue all the way around, 360 degrees it goes back down.

this seems to be a common issue that a lot of taco gimbal users have. i have yet to find a good solution to it as well. it drives me crazy.

I can't say that I have any understanding of the Basecam GUI or how to use it. However, it seems to me that the Taco deals well with pitch and roll (it is rock solid pointing in one direction) but that yaw confuses it. Is there is setting in the GUI for yaw? I know it's a 2 axis gimbal, but for some reason yaw causes problems.

grochester said:
I can't say that I have any understanding of the Basecam GUI or how to use it. However, it seems to me that the Taco deals well with pitch and roll (it is rock solid pointing in one direction) but that yaw confuses it. Is there is setting in the GUI for yaw? I know it's a 2 axis gimbal, but for some reason yaw causes problems.

since we have only 2 axis gimbals which is for pitch and roll, there is no setting for yaw. its weird to me how it's level sometimes and at other times the horizon is all jacked up. for some reason its failing to return to its level position. frustrating.

tizzl10 said:
grochester said:

since we have only 2 axis gimbals which is for pitch and roll, there is no setting for yaw. its weird to me how it's level sometimes and at other times the horizon is all jacked up. for some reason its failing to return to its level position. frustrating.

That is sing of advance calibration needed. Do an advance calibration on that gimbal and should correct your issue.

amrflyingdude said:
tizzl10 said:
grochester said:

That is sing of advance calibration needed. Do an advance calibration on that gimbal and should correct your issue.

ive done countless 6 point calibrations and it always goes back to the tilt issue.

rfernandez said:
Did you reposition the the IMU? did you get the new shell?

no the IMU is in the same place. do you think the new shell will help?

Below is a bit from the trouble shooting section of the SimpleBCG manual. Seems to describe the problem I and others are having. The IMU sensor notch in the camera holder seems more of a guess at proper alignment than anything else. I think Richard had the right idea with his paper and glue notion.
basecam%20troubleshoot.png

I got my Taco gimbal (plug n play) yesterday and got it installed and working pretty well thanks to this awesome blog. I have the same issue with starting horizontal and then sometimes getting a little slanted. If I roll back and forth quickly, it will go back to horizontal, but drift again after a while. I read in one of ht previous posts that the method to do the 6 axis calibration is in the manual (I didn't see it in the Vision manual). Is there some other place to look for that?
Also, the manual tilt is relatively slow and keeps moving after I let off of the button (haven't installed the 7th channel lever yet, still using the phone). I tried changing the manual control speed in the assistant software, which changed the speed of the movement on the app, but not the speed of the actual gimbal movement. Is there a way to speed that up and make it more responsive? (Maybe in the GUI software?)
Thanks!

I found the Simpe BGS manual so disregard previous question. I found this regarding losing horizon:
AHRS - options influencing camera angle determination accuracy.
◦ Gyro trust – The higher is value, the more trust to the gyro data compared with the
accelerometer data when estimating angles. It can reduce errors caused by accelerations
during moving, but also decreases gyro drift compensation, resulting in horizon drift in time.
For smooth flying, it is recommended to set low values (40-80), which will give more stable
horizon for longer time. For aggressive flying, it's better to set higher values (100-150).

The taco profile sets this to 100, so I wonder if this is affecting the horizon?

rfernandez said:
Camera has to be rebalanced first just adding power to the motor will not work quite right Balance is key.

How do you re-balance a camera on a gimbal that is sitting limp without power? I have a Came-7000 gimbal for my DSLR and its easy to balance the 3 axises without power but how do you balance a two axis gimbal? I have the ragecam upgrade which is probably throwing mine off but I cant see how to re-balance this camera on the Taco Supreme.

The bottom line is you can NOT completely balance a camera on a TS without adding counter weight to the back of the camera for tilt balance. How else could it possibly be done? The camera is front heavy and the gimbal doesnt allow for that kind of balancing.

Further, you can not balance this gimbal for tilt or roll as there are no adjustments in the gimbal without adding counter weight. Counter weight is the only option for balancing this camera as i see it, am I wrong?

Jesper_carstens said:
rfernandez said:
We have been working on another profile and were still tweaking to make sure it works. we will keep you updated. fi you wan the the profile I've been sending out just PM me and i will send it you

Hi rfernandez

I would like to have a go at your custom profile, i cannot use PM yet in this forum, my e-mail adress is jca(at)nfss.dk

Jesper - Denmark

Hi Fernandez
Thanks for the profile! I'll test it when i recieve a new system board from Taco, the first one i recieved from Taco had lost its usb connector during transport, so my only way of calibration right now is using the one push and 3 push calibration on the reset button :|

God help me. I'm thinking about ordering one of these Taco gimbals.

Here's a video (uninspired, just flying at home) of my first flight with the 3DPower gimbal. Still needs some tweaking and the horizon shift when yaw is encountered is still a problem. But all in all not too bad. http://youtu.be/HCeAfeT9Dwc
[youtube]http://youtu.be/HCeAfeT9Dwc[/youtube]

BTW How do you embed video in a post?

grochester said:
Here's a video (uninspired, just flying at home) of my first flight with the 3DPower gimbal. Still needs some tweaking and the horizon shift when yaw is encountered is still a problem. But all in all not too bad. http://youtu.be/HCeAfeT9Dwc
[youtube]http://youtu.be/HCeAfeT9Dwc[/youtube]

what version 3d gimbal are you using?

The velcro version. I just wrote TacoToy and asked for the newer camera holder. Maybe relocating the IMU (as in the new holder) will resolve the horizon shift.

I just ordered the taco supreme for my vision.. Hoping for the best! But skeptical :-/

Does anyone have any experience with using lens filters with the Taco?

does anybody here have the v3 version of this gimbal? please chime in..interested if you still have the horizontal tilt issue..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka