Plastic shrinkwrap on Immersion RC 5.8GHz Tx...on or off?

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm about to attach an Immersion RC 5.8GHz 600mw Tx unit to my Phantom 2.
Just wanting some advice/thoughts..the unit comes covered in plastic shrinkwrap - should this be left on, or taken off before fitting? Is airflow sufficient to provide adequate cooling with shrinkwrap on?
One reason I ask is that I am intending to do a lot of filming over water (particularly salt water) and I do want to ensure everything is protected from moisture in the best way possible.
I had considered applying heatshrink to the Tx unit but this may be overkill? Or prevent proper cooling?
I see most people simply velcro the module to the Phantom underbelly.

Any thoughts and advice would be most appreciated :)

Re: Plastic shrinkwrap on Immersion RC 5.8GHz Tx...on or off

Well, since you can't set the channel switches (as best as I was able to tell) without removing it, I cut it off. No problems so far. If you bird goes for a swim, that shrink wrap wouldn't help much anyway.

I left mine one (based on other people doing the same), and I use velcro to attach to my Phantom underbelly.
it's easy to change channels if you just a small pointy tool or even a safety pin to push/break away the plastic a little.

as for making things waterproof, just stay out of the water, Phantom's don't float.

Haha yes I'm not planning on submerging it...the concern is more the fine saltwater spray.
Having worked with helicopters in a marine environment, they don't have to actually touch water to suffer corrosion and wiring problems.

Well I figured it was like that to give protection to the unit whilst saving weight.

To alter the channels I just made two tiny cuts to form a little door which I then stuck back with Sellotape.

Well, hasn't hurt so far. I see flytrex does the same thing. I won't cut that off when mine show up

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl