Phatoms & other like devices getting a bad rap.

Reaction score
Have any of you noticed that our Phantoms are showing up in the news a lot lately, even nationally. And they haven't been put in a very good light. I'm afraid that the days of flying or Phantoms in a local park or nearing an end. If you see the news stories, I would say that a lot of folks that aren't knowledgeable about what a Phantom is are going to feel pretty negative about them. There almost comparing them with the Drones that are military are using over in Afghanistan.

I was planning to use my Phantom at a bluegrass festival in a couple weeks over in Bean Blossom, Indiana but now I'm a bit hesitant. I really just wanted to get some good overhead shots of the stages, fans, & the park to use for future promotion of the festival. Most of my crowd will be pretty open and fun loving people, but unless I announce on stage what I'm doing, I'm afraid of some negativity coming out of doing some aerials. If you have any suggestions or comments, would like to hear.

Would love to see some positive things about the Phantoms in the news.

Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D, GoPro Hero+ Black, Kumbacam advanced FPV kit, & DJI iOSD mini. Just started in April 2014

Just fly smart. Simple as that.

If you're going to fly where there's a lot of air activity, it's obvious to never fly near there for obvious reasons.

If you're going to fly near people, make sure you have enough space to fly around and already have areas in mind just in case you need to emergency land. Obviously it's better to break a Phantom than break a person.

If anything, try flying with a friend. I like to call them "spotters" as they'll tell you if something may go wrong they you may not notice.

Always be redundant on flight checks. I like to reset my home point 2 minutes after turning it on and let the Phantom idle for about a minute (to see if anything sounds or looks wrong), then I would bring it up to hover (check if it holds is position well, if not, land and recalibrate).

I'm highly considering on getting a BTU so I can see the IMU mods without having to lug my laptop around to connect and calibrate. :roll:

Bluegrass said:
Have any of you noticed that our Phantoms are showing up in the news a lot lately, even nationally. And they haven't been put in a very good light. I'm afraid that the days of flying or Phantoms in a local park or nearing an end. If you see the news stories, I would say that a lot of folks that aren't knowledgeable about what a Phantom is are going to feel pretty negative about them. There almost comparing them with the Drones that are military are using over in Afghanistan.

I was planning to use my Phantom at a bluegrass festival in a couple weeks over in Bean Blossom, Indiana but now I'm a bit hesitant. I really just wanted to get some good overhead shots of the stages, fans, & the park to use for future promotion of the festival. Most of my crowd will be pretty open and fun loving people, but unless I announce on stage what I'm doing, I'm afraid of some negativity coming out of doing some aerials. If you have any suggestions or comments, would like to hear.

Would love to see some positive things about the Phantoms in the news.

Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D, GoPro Hero+ Black, Kumbacam advanced FPV kit, & DJI iOSD mini. Just started in April 2014

Well i live in tijuana mexico and its all the rave over here, i have seen them at the soccer stadium (go xolos), at concerts, i have made aerial footage with a friend all over the city, i live close to the beach and the police here have a drone scouting the beach on the weekends, even the lifeguards use it, so its pretty much ok over here until they see that you can spy with it and shut us all down, lol, btw here is the video a friend and i took of the city, this was made for the tijuana chamber of commerce

Here is the video, my name is at the very end, lol

http://vimeo.com/93434419

Sana

Wow! That is so cool Sanababit. You didn't do the time lapse video from the Phantom did you? You guys have given me some encouragement. In my neck of the woods, St. Louis, the police aren't even allowed to use them but they would like to.

Just a snippet of a great post.
Airmotive said:
The sad fact is, we no longer have "The Press". We have news-media companies whose sole purpose is to sell the news. How do they sell it? By getting their stories pushed to the top of search engines. Search engines are driven by keywords and right now one of the biggest keyword drivers is "drone". So every news editor is trying to stuff as many instances of the word "drone" into every news story possible. It's all about selling news, not about the first amendment, not about facts and certainly not about credibility. It's all about money.
see the rest here : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15339&start=20

So there you have it. We're at the mercy of the search engines. And I have to agree with Airmotive's analysis of things.

Bluegrass said:
Wow! That is so cool Sanababit. You didn't do the time lapse video from the Phantom did you? You guys have given me some encouragement. In my neck of the woods, St. Louis, the police aren't even allowed to use them but they would like to.

Hi the time lapse video was taken with the go pro using time lapse photography, every 3 seconds, then used gopro studio to put all those photographs togheter and make a video out of them

Sana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl