Phantom 4 - filming from yachts

Someone told me it has to do with the electromagnetic field created by the engine and the effects over the whole hull of the ship/boat.

Follow the combination “Stop motors mid-flight” above (emergency shut-down).

Many people here have not understood yet the motors do not shut down using the standard combination of the sticks... it is something very abnormal - not so basic as you think.

I operate my P4P in the Solent from my RIB and although have exactly the same general problem as you’ve experienced, I can assure you that Left Stick Down standard input WILL stop the motors ‘eventually’ it can take maybe 2 or 3 attempts but just be patient, hold the left stick down for a good 5secs or so and if no joy just try again.. mine always shuts down with no more than 2 or 3 attempts max. It’s just a bit fickle as obviously during this time the motors are screaming trying to reposition to the original landing point as the boats moving

I operate my P4P in the Solent from my RIB and although have exactly the same general problem as you’ve experienced, I can assure you that Left Stick Down standard input WILL stop the motors ‘eventually’ it can take maybe 2 or 3 attempts but just be patient, hold the left stick down for a good 5secs or so and if no joy just try again.. mine always shuts down with no more than 2 or 3 attempts max. It’s just a bit fickle as obviously during this time the motors are screaming trying to reposition to the original landing point as the boats moving
In my case they wouldn’t turn off even after more than 10 times and holding it much longer. It would just NOT do it...

Follow the combination “Stop motors mid-flight” above (emergency shut-down).
Many people here have not understood yet the motors do not shut down using the standard combination of the sticks... it is something very abnormal - not so basic as you think.
Pre the P4 series, the CSC stick position was the emergency stop and would work in flight.
But DJI had a never ending stream of complaints from inexperienced flyers (wrongly) convinced they would accidentally shut down their motors in flight.
So for the P4 DJI changed the in-flight emergency shutdown to what is shown in the manual extract above.
If your Phantom 's sensors are supplying information that suggests the Phantom is still in flight, CSC will not shut it down.
CSC would only work when the Phantom "believes" it has landed - same as left stick down.
In my case they wouldn’t turn off even after more than 10 times and holding it much longer. It would just NOT do it...
The key is to hold the Phantom steady and level.
If it's wobbling a bit, it's not going to let you shut down.

Pre the P4 series, the CSC stick position was the emergency stop and would work in flight.
But DJI had a never ending stream of complaints from inexperienced flyers (wrongly) convinced they would accidentally shut down their motors in flight.
So for the P4 DJI changed the in-flight emergency shutdown to what is shown in the manual extract above.
If your Phantom 's sensors are supplying information that suggests the Phantom is still in flight, CSC will not shut it down.
CSC would only work when the Phantom "believes" it has landed - same as left stick down.

The key is to hold the Phantom steady and level.
If it's wobbling a bit, it's not going to let you shut down.

Thank you for the helpful information! It makes sense - boats are normally moving around (even if someone grabbed the drone by the landing gears) and the drone doesn’t understand “it landed”.
We need to be ready to use the emergency shut-down in these cases...
Kind regards,
Rodrigo

thanks for the reply. i did try the usual shutdown method (both sticks down and inwards) but this did not work. I also tried left stick down and left stick down plus holding RTH button but none of these shut the motors off. The issue is that the boat is not stable as it is moving up and down which must be causing the drone to not detect a stable surface. I have had to end up just holding the drone until the battery dies.
I've also tried turning the proximity sensors off, basically all the suggestions I found via google.
I do the left stick down and toward the center. Works fine for me (P3A).

I've recently been using my Phantom 4 to film some of my sailing trips. I'm hand launching and catching the drone as it comes in to land. Once I have caught it, I cannot shut down the motors in the usual way one would if the landing had been on land. Anyone know how to shut off the motors in this situation.
I've heard a few suggestions like turning it upside down but have not tried these yet. I'm hoping for a definitive answer before I film our next sailing trip.

Hello me hearty, i’ve got a phantom 2 vision plus and I catch in the air as it’s landing well I let it hover first and I’ve found that if there is any slight movement once you’ve caught it the motors will keep going but if you keep dead still they will shut off. I’m not sure whether this is the same case for the phantom 4 but worth a try.

With the Mavic Air and the Mavic 2 Pro, I hold the left stick down. At first, when the drone sees my hand the opstacle avoidance, makes it want to go up slightly. Then it recognizes the prolonged down status of the left joystick and stars to descend. Then I grab it. As soon as it senses the resistance to going down further, it shuts down right away.

Turning the drone sideway can be pretty dangerous as it will resist to change the position so it's easy to cut yourself.
Do not catch the drone at the eye level as it is shown in this video. Your eyes are much more valuable than the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka