Phantom 4 Downward VPS problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a Phantom 4 since July 2017. Really enjoying it and have done more than 30 hours already. Recently I ran into a strange problem. I have done Google searches for something similar, but no luck so far.

Sometimes when I fly, the Vision Positioning indicator in the app (I use a Samsung Tab A) will show the distance the drone is from me (or its height above ground) and then suddenly show a height of only 0.2 or 0.3 meters. The drone will then stop in mid flight and hover stationary until the display changes to distance again. A few seconds later, the same story. It is then difficult to descend or fly forward as the drone thinks there is something very close to it and only wants to remain stationary. Sometimes the only way to bring the drone home is to disable downward VPS. That is actually how I fly it mostly now.

The problem is not very serious, as I can fly the drone, just without downward VPS. It is just somewhat annoying, since I cannot see the distance the drone is from me as that display is canceled as well when I disable downward VPS. Also, I will be without the safety of the VPS sensors in the event that the drone needs to do an automated RTH.

I suspect there might be a problem with my Ultrasound sensors. I see no visible damage to either of them.

I have contacted the store from where I bought the drone, but they suggested calibrating or sending it back to them. However, I doubt that will help since the problem sometimes only show itself after 5 or 10 minutes of flight time. In other words, not easy to reproduce the error.

I am running the latest firmware. I have calibrated my sensors with DJI assistant several times (although I suspect that only calibrates the vision sensors, not the ultrasound).

The VPS sensors are finicky about the terrain below. There is most likely nothing wrong with the sensors themselves. I found that the aircraft was more difficult to land using them, so I just keep mine turned off. If you do use them, make sure you turn them off if you are flying over water!

The VPS sensors are finicky about the terrain below. There is most likely nothing wrong with the sensors themselves. I found that the aircraft was more difficult to land using them, so I just keep mine turned off. If you do use them, make sure you turn them off if you are flying over water!

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should have added that it happens at any height. I seldom fly less than 20 meters above ground level. Also, it is a new problem. It didn't happen the first few months I had the drone.

Happened today when I tested at in the middle of the day. Also, it is not the forward looking VPS (I had the 'into the sun' VPS-auto-stop a couple of times). It is the downward sensors.
Forward vps is OA (obstical avoidence),downward is vps (vision positioning system),normally if it not like going forward like that OA has detected something,vps is a mechanical sonar and emits a clicking noise ,my vps always nearly on unless I over water,OA pretty pointless up there,sometimes interfere with flight like you describe, clear your warnings,try imu calibration without assistant,,don't get me wrong OA handy for avoiding obstical in rth situations or flying very low but no good at height.front cams called monocular

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when I fly, the Vision Positioning indicator in the app (I use a Samsung Tab A) will show the distance the drone is from me (or its height above ground) and then suddenly show a height of only 0.2 or 0.3 meters. The drone will then stop in mid flight and hover stationary until the display changes to distance again. A few seconds later, the same story. It is then difficult to descend or fly forward as the drone thinks there is something very close to it and only wants to remain stationary. Sometimes the only way to bring the drone home is to disable downward VPS. That is actually how I fly it mostly now..
Do you have something below the VPS sensors?
Those gimbal guards frequently cause interference with VPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94