Phantom 4 Crash, DJI at fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not DJI has or can do what they are telling you they want to do doesn't matter to me, the fact that they are telling you they want to do it is enough for me to pull my head out if the sand.

We are way of track here guys from the original post

Whether or not DJI has or can do what they are telling you they want to do doesn't matter to me, the fact that they are telling you they want to do it is enough for me to pull my head out if the sand.
FWIW I've just read their privacy policy and its commensurate with those of both Google and Facebook, so no surprises. The takeaway for me is that if you don't upload, share or sync your photos, flight data etc, there is little to fear. I suspect that they know my location through the GPS on my device when I move around but I couldn't care less and certainly have nothing to hide. I'd be more concerned if they were uploading info from my device with the app closed down when I return home.

This is all stuff that came out a while back with the US Army announcement and as far as I can see it really has no impact at all on almost all fliers.
But DJI has been working on something for those that are still concerned anyway:
DJI will add private flight mode so it can’t see where you’re going
Yes, there may be internet traffic to/from the app if you fly with a data connection but I still don't believe DJI actively collect your flight data or images.

This is all stuff that came out a while back with the US Army announcement and as far as I can see it really has no impact at all on almost all fliers.
But DJI has been working on something for those that are still concerned anyway:
Yes, there may be internet traffic to/from the app if you fly with a data connection but I still don't believe DJI actively collect your flight data or images.

There is some data traffic even in the absence of flight record syncing, but it is not enough to include telemetry, images or video. Those data are only uploaded on sync.

Reactions: Meta4
Their policy states they do if you choose to upload/share any photos, videos (sky pixel), log in information, flight logs etc. they also have the right (through your consent to use of their products) to share that info and also use cookies to track you. As I said earlier, I don't care and if they bothered to look at the data that I have surrendered very occasionally, they would have figured that I live in the middle of nowhere, don't bother anyone, love beer and have a penchant for Cheezles.

Reactions: Loz
There is some data traffic even in the absence of flight record syncing, but it is not enough to include telemetry, images or video. Those data are only uploaded on sync.
Thank you- that’s the sort of information that is important- what happens in practice rather than what some lawyers take on the privacy policy might be.

Either we are not reading the same documents, or we have incredibly different ideas and tolerances for privacy. For the average hobbyist, I agree, not a big deal. For entities who desire to remain secure, or keep locational data private, then I think the risk is great and the concern warranted. I am probably paranoid. I don't even have a Facebook or google account because I am not willing to sacrifice unlimited ownership and use of everything I might post to the providing entities. Sorry for the derailment of the original post. I will cease and desist.

Reactions: sar104
Either we are not reading the same documents, or we have incredibly different ideas and tolerances for privacy. For the average hobbyist, I agree, not a big deal. For entities who desire to remain secure, or keep locational data private, then I think the risk is great and the concern warranted. I am probably paranoid. I don't even have a Facebook or google account because I am not willing to sacrifice unlimited ownership and use of everything I might post to the providing entities. Sorry for the derailment of the original post. I will cease and desist.

That's unquestionably true. Personally I have no concerns, but at work their use is prohibited until we have tested the new app that should allow all data upload to be switched off.

Reactions: RémyHeli
No - this is just in reference to the mobile device txt file that you can upload to PhantomHelp or AirData. If you then download the resulting csv file from those sites you will find that it contains more data than the websites actually display.

For example, the csv generated by PhantomHelp contains the following:

'Time(seconds)'
'Id'
'Time(text)'
'Latitude'
'Longitude'
'FlightMode'
'Altitude(feet)'
'Altitude(meters)'
'VpsAltitude(feet)'
'VpsAltitude(meters)'
'Speed(mph)'
'Speed(m/s)'
'HomeDistance(feet)'
'HomeDistance(meters)'
'HomeLatitude'
'HomeLongitude'
'GpsCount'
'BatteryPower(%)'
'BatteryVoltage'
'BatteryVoltageDeviation'
'BatteryCell1Voltage'
'BatteryCell2Voltage'
'BatteryCell3Voltage'
'VelocityX'
'VelocityY'
'VelocityZ'
'Pitch'
'Roll'
'Yaw'
'RcAileron'
'RcElevator'
'RcGyro'
'RcRudder'
'RcThrottle'
'NonGpsError'
'GoHomeStatus'
'AppTip'
'AppWarning'
'AppMessage'

The AirData csv contains:

'time(millisecond)'
'latitude'
'longitude'
'altitude(feet)'
'ascent(feet)'
'speed(mph)'
'distance(feet)'
'datetime(utc)'
'satellites'
'voltage(v)'
'max_altitude(feet)'
'max_ascent(feet)'
'max_speed(mph)'
'max_distance(feet)'
'compass_heading(degrees)'
' pitch(degrees)'
' roll(degrees)'
'isPhoto'
'isVideo'
'rc_elevator'
'rc_aileron'
'rc_throttle'
'rc_rudder'
'gimbal_heading(degrees)'
'gimbal_pitch(degrees)'
'battery_percent'
'voltageCell1'
'voltageCell2'
'voltageCell3'
'battery_temperature(f)'
'flycStateRaw'
'flycState'
'message'

The files that you are referring to on the internal SD card are the DAT files. Those contain even more data types logged at shorter intervals.
Got it,thanks again for helping me learn.

We're still waiting to see the data ......

What surprises me is the few people that attempt to tell us that the recorded flight data isn't reliable.

By carefully reading the flight data to see the story it tells you can often see exactly what happened in a flight and sometimes it shows clearly that what really happened was very different from what the owner thought happened.

That's like saying Why would you blindly believe Newton's 3 laws of motion?
I trust the recorded data because I've investigated many, many flight records including my own and I've seen how accurate they are.

Now it's your turn.
Come up with flight data or stop telling us what you believe happened.

Seriously, you compare Newtons 3rd law with DJI drone flight recorder? You must be joking, that is silly and you are taking your hobby too serious. And dont be so butthurt just because somebody question it.

Last edited:
Seriously, you compare Newtons 3rd law with DJI drone flight recorder? You must be joking, that is silly and you are taking your hobby too serious. And dont be so butthurt just because somebody question it.

Your attitude is bizarre. The RTH problem that you described in post #5, if it happened, and for which you still haven't posted the data log, is almost certainly clearly documented in that log. And yet here you are again, blathering on about how the logs should not be trusted. The irony is that the logs are most likely your friend in situations like this.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Your attitude is bizarre. The RTH problem that you described in post #5, if it happened, and for which you still haven't posted the data log, is almost certainly clearly documented in that log. And yet here you are again, blathering on about how the logs should not be trusted. The irony is that the logs are most likely your friend in situations like this.

Mister "black-box" detective/investigator, chill down and try to behave like an adult and not like insulted teenager, ok? If you cant, why dont you just ignore my messages, bug off!

Uploading of my log has nothing to do with My questioning of some of the members of this community who are not accounting for DJI products´ unreliability and unreliability of DJI company itself when telling other members that all of crashes and mishaps with aircrafts must be their (pilot) fault. It is missleading and one-sided, unless you work for DJI.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Yes ... seriously.
The recorded flight data has been tested hundreds of times and shown to be reliable.
Unlike the first hand observations of the owners of some Phantoms.
Until I see the data from your flight, I'd give your description of what happened a very low reliability rating and the same for your opinion of recorded flight data.
You've done nothing to show that you have any credibility so far.
Of course that would be easy to change - simply put the data out there and we can see how it matches (or not) with your story.

Yes ... seriously.
The recorded flight data has been tested hundreds of times and shown to be reliable.
Unlike the first hand observations of the owners of some Phantoms.
Until I see the data from your flight, I'd give your description of what happened a very low reliability rating and the same for your opinion of recorded flight data.
You've done nothing to show that you have any credibility so far.
Of course that would be easy to change - simply put the data out there and we can see how it matches (or not) with your story.

Again, my log was not originally some "argument" that I am right or wrong, you are just being stuck up on that for some reason and not giving attention to the criticism against members of the forum gathering up (thats how we are strong :) and making themselves like black box investigators and telling others that this is wrong or right. You may believe for some reason that you are right, but you can never test if your reading is right.
You check you reading with DJI ? You check every memeber if they get repair or not?
I mean DJI makes that software and they will interpret it fair as far as there is money in the company to offer. When there is no more money to repair the drones, they will interpret logs as it suit their needs or as maybe you do. In order to make you feel important or valuable.

What I find most confusing is that you are stating an opinion that the flight log is useless yet you seemingly uploaded your flight to Airdata presumably to learn what caused the crash. How hard could it be to share the link and allow others an opportunity to assist you in diagnosing the event. Who knows it might give you something to go to DJI with. And so what if it’s pilot effor, most of the RC AC I have crashed it was my fault.

What I find most confusing is that you are stating an opinion that the flight log is useless yet you seemingly uploaded your flight to Airdata presumably to learn what caused the crash. How hard could it be to share the link and allow others an opportunity to assist you in diagnosing the event. Who knows it might give you something to go to DJI with. And so what if it’s pilot effor, most of the RC AC I have crashed it was my fault.

You mean me? I did not crash the drone, you maybe mixed up persons. I am just questioning dji flight records as reliable way of telling exactly what is going on when drone crash. That based on my extended experience of dji drone issues, problems with customer care etc etc.
Then I named my P4A almost flying away in recent issue but I did not find time to upload flight record as I am very tired of all the time-consuming problems with dji and dji drones..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl