Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Here is my result with Itelite DBS + FCC 27dbi + 5,8G china-booster. Deside to go back because low battery level. Transmition was ok all the way.

About the 5.8ghz RC Control Uplink Signal:
Did anyone figure out how to change the settings to get more than the FCC output limit ???​

(sorry if already posted... there is a lot of message thread history to go thru)

Russan audio, but international video :)

Update:
Sorry, did not read first sentence. RC 5,8 signal only hardware amplification. FCC mode can make stronger video link only.

Last edited:
27 dbm is not FCC. That is far above FCC regulation limit.
Yep... 27dBm is 1/2 watt; more than allowed by FCC. Canada is another story.

Contrary to what many believe about 5.8ghz, it is affected less by water molecules. 2.4ghz is affected more by water molecules. The atmosphere and tree leaves are full of it.

Reactions: sinxa
Hii friends,what do you thınk about thıs sıgnal dbm for my phantom 3 standart?
8715a8df6d9554a2bb320c68be524bff.jpg

Sent from my E6603 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Friends, I am in Brazil. I have a standard P3S with the original antenna and can fly up to 500 m.
Can I use the default configuration of PapaTita application? Or should I use 27dBm?

You're not using a 2.4 amp? When does the video disconnects, or do you keep full video all the time?
Im not use 2,4 ams. No need, I think. 1/2 watt - is very strong signal already. Only Itelite DBS antenna. Long fly on clear air (without rf interference) only have battery capacity limit to discontinue fly. RC and video link - ok all the way. When I have big city flys, with strong rf interference, video disconnected first. But, the range also great - about 2000 - 3000 meters, its more then enough for me.

Reactions: x11freak
Thanks for the info guys. The WiFi settings appear useful extending range.

*** In return, I share key information about the 5.8ghz RC Uplink and the P3S' internal 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater Module. ***

Far more than just raw Drag Strip Type, Down and Back, Deep Downrange Flying; doing something practically useful with extended radio link range capability contributes to our mutual interests and progresses the evolution of the technology ecosystem.

Solving issues related to deep down range radio link performance and especially hard to reach or penetrate locations is an interesting endeavor. (such as around corners or over hills or buildings.)

These four drone systems are essentially the same from a radio hardware (and functional) architectural perspective:
  • Phantom 3 Standard - P3S
  • Phantom 3 4K - P3 4K
  • Phantom 2 Vision+ - P2V+
  • Phantom 2 Vision - P2V
Note: The P3S simply moved the WiFi Repeater Module inside the controller. It's possible to remove the P3S' internal WiFi module and mount it outside and completely separate it from the controller; rendering it in effect just like the P2V+.

Special
Note: The P3 4K's internal WiFI Module is not removable since the engineers this time tighter integrated the 2.4ghz WiFi repeater circuit onto the controllers main board. Too bad for us !

Observation: Here we are in the latter part of the second decade of the 21st century and RC controllers STILL tightly combine the Operator Control Hardware (ie joysticks and switches) with the Radio Link Hardware (ie the transmitter and antenna). That means the human is both the operator and radio control tower. (the next extension of that logic is to mount a lightning rod ontop our heads.)

Military Drones: Have you ever heard of long range military drone operators standing outside ? They are thousands miles away which means the Radio Link Hardware is always detached from the Operator Control Hardware.

The four drones listed above use the same radio scheme as shown below:
(there are subtle protocol differences; hence the controllers are not compatible between the P3S and P2V+)
  • 2.4ghz WiFi - Video / Telemetry Downlink <-- standard WiFi protocol with a few added non-published schemes. Note: The P3S' internal WiFi Module is easily removed since it is held in place via a two row pin socket strip and a small piece of double sticky foam. (Power and pin-out information is available.) It is powered using 3.3VDC. For the most part, it does the same exact function as the P2V+' wifi module; of course engineers like to change things so the P3S' wifi module is not compatible with the P2V+.
  • 5.8ghz RC - Control Uplink <-- A Packet based frequency hopping scheme using FSK modulation. The in-air bit rate is 1mbs. Packets contain a Control and Payload section. The Control section contains a unique address based on the serial number of your drones controller; not the drone itself. The Payload section is fixed width (up to 32 bytes) and also encoded with a 16 bit CRC. The Payload section contains joystick and switch position information. The controller transmits Packets are blindly repeated ~143 packets per second. The controller is transmit only and the drone is receive only. The 5.8ghz radio hardware does not support two-way communications (ie they are not transceivers). If a few Packets get through per second to the drone then controlled flight is maintained. Else, the drone times out and executes an RTH (Return To Home).
========================================================================

I'd like to share (for free) as much as I can "without" the perception of promoting a specific Vendor product.

To fly out of (or in to) places that are completely impossible for all other drone solutions; that seems to be a core and mutual objective for many of us.

Firstly: Like the majority on this forum, I have a passion for our hobby-interest-sport-venture.
Secondly: I started a small UAV business venture; trying hard to make happen on a very tight budget. (trying to post on this forum separately as a Basic Member and also as a would-be Vendor has produced a few random warnings or censorship notices... which I respect and want to avoid. It's confusing and prone to subjective interpretation.)

*** I'd like to share more of my experiences as a Basic Member on this forum; and... not intended as directly promoting a specific Vendor product.

> EXAMPLE VIDEO LINK < change the resolution gear-looking setting icon to 720p or better
This video demonstrates combining multiple third party Vendor products. What emerges is a unique niche-solution that no other drone system can come close to achieving (as of this date). (ie ... a solution equipped with 3 axis motion stabilized HD realtime color video downlink.)

*** In order to openly share more as a Basic Member, I'll attempt to remove specific text and graphics embedded in certain videos in hope that it makes it OK to publish and portray as "Vendor Agnostic".

At this point, I'd rather just be granted and switched back to a Basic Member than labeled and tracked as a Vendor.​

Reactions: PapaTita and Jade
The controller is transmit only and the drone is receive only. The 5.8ghz radio hardware does not support two-way communications (ie they are not transceivers).
How does the RC/DJI Go App determine signal strength if there is no feedback signal to determine quality of signal?

How does the RC/DJI Go App determine signal strength if there is no feedback signal to determine quality of signal?

Good Question.

As previously stated, there are two separate radio subsystems:

1) one way 5.8ghz RC type uplink for human-manual flight control.
2) two-way 2.4ghz WiFi link for video and telemetry downlink plus configuration and settings change uplink, etc.

The 5.8ghz radio receive only hardware on the drone has no direct RSSI radio energy receive power level circuit implemented onto it chip.
Instead, DJI derrives a QoS (Quality of Service) subjective number. They constantly calculate a percentage of successfully received data packets per second. Their scheme transmits ~143 packets per second. So, if 14 fail to get thru per second then the percentage of success is 90%. eg (143-14)/143 = 90%

From there they infer a receive level number for the 5.ghz radio.

The 2.4ghz Wifi radio is much newer technology and surely has analog hardware implemented on the radio chip to output an actual receive level signal. Of course they surely also do the same QoS packet calculation as described for the 5.8ghz radio above.

From there, they crunch a few numbers to present the user with what they see displayed on their phone screen which that piece of information is one of the telemetry downlink data elements.

===================

I'm sure the controllers 2.4ghz wifi radio subsystem is calculating a number too.

Just exactly what DJI presents as a composite to the user is unknown to me.

FCC Regulations

Its seems like 30dbm is the limit.
For the 5.8ghz part of the system, 30dBm (1 Watt) is a lot power for the RC control reason we use it for on Phantom drones.

My tests showed in an open field environment, with transmitter at 6 foot from ground level and receiver at about 30 feet from ground level... I had about a 50% QoS (Quality of Service). That is, about half of the data packets go through.

The distance between was... 3 miles !
The transmitter output power was set to 24dBm ( 1/4 Watt).

=============

Note: I know of only two drone companys that use a 5.8ghz RC link instead of the traditional 2.4ghz RC stuff.

DJI and a European outfit. They are custom for their drones only and don't sell as individual components, except as spare parts.

ALSO... no company offers generic RC transmitters and receiver goods.

Well... not until last year. That's where I jumped in to emulate DJI's 5.8ghz hardware and protocols.

Once DJI matured and perfected their 2.4ghz ultra proprietary Lightbridge Technology... they mostly dropped the 5.8ghz radio scheme except to offer lower cost drones like the P3S and P3 4K.

Me and another man in Colorado put some effort into reverse engineering the LightBridge protocol. I know how they do it and the base level schemes but the encryption algorithm kept us at bay.

PROBLEM IS... LightBridge is not "Repeatable" which is my gig.

Reactions: Philltayl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing