Phantom 3 professional. How high for max distance?

Reaction score
Hello.

I am usually standing on the ground level or on the roof of my house. I want to see how far I can explore my neighborhood. I understand that if the drone is too low to the ground, the remote will lose signal due to the angle and obstructions such as houses, trees, etc... and you need to have a certain amount of verticle height.

My question is how high do I need to go to get the max range on the drone? 250FT, 300FT, 400FT, 500FT,etc....?

Thanks.

Here is my p3p I could have gone further but I flew a bit around the Forrest had to come back. This is with the Alfa 2..5g panels.
200-320 feet.

And keep under 400 feet keep it legal. I also used the litchi app, I feel that litchi gives me more range.

48b291b78477a5575f8760593fe9775b.jpg

Start low and increase your altitude as needed when your signal starts to drop.

As suggested, increase altitude as required to maintain signal quality. Flying too low can give reduced S/N ratio (closer to 2.4ghz sources on the ground) and has greater potential to piss people off. The higher you fly the more damage you might cause if the AC throws a leg out of bed.

As suggested, increase altitude as required to maintain signal quality. Flying too low can give reduced S/N ratio (closer to 2.4ghz sources on the ground) and has greater potential to piss people off. The higher you fly the more damage you might cause if the AC throws a leg out of bed.
Not really, At any height it will fall at the same velocity of 32ftps square. So it will hit the ground just as hard falling from 100 feet as it would falling from 1000 feet.
True story. :cool:

Reactions: Indiana Scott
Not really, At any height it will fall at the same velocity of 32ftps square. So it will hit the ground just as hard falling from 100 feet as it would falling from 1000 feet.
True story. :cool:
I suspect you are confusing acceleration with velocity (which is indeed a constant for practical purposes). Velocity = intitial velocity + acceleration (this is where your 32 goes) times time (seconds before it hits the ground). You need to account for wind resistance but velocity will def be more from 1000 ft than 100.... As to how hard it hits the ground F= mass times the square of velocity so the higher it falls from the harder it hits. True story.

Reactions: Raabguy
I suspect you are confusing acceleration with velocity (which is indeed a constant for practical purposes). Velocity = intitial velocity + acceleration (this is where your 32 goes) times time (seconds before it hits the ground). You need to account for wind resistance but velocity will def be more from 1000 ft than 100.... As to how hard it hits the ground F= mass times the square of velocity so the higher it falls from the harder it hits. True story.
Ahahaha:p

More height = better signal? Does the height add to the distance the signal have to travel but giving you a better line of sight?
Has more to do with ground effect. Getting the signal away from the ground plane minimizes interaction with it that can reduce or distort the signal.

Has more to do with ground effect. Getting the signal away from the ground plane minimizes interaction with it that can reduce or distort the signal.
In response to the question- increased height must provide for increased distance and will guarantee best LOS, ground effect will be largely irrelevant at 2.4ghz (decreased altitude may be better) but will be largely negated by the MIMO implementation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl