Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 2's Big Sister!

Discussion in 'Other DJI Multi-Rotors' started by RoryG, Dec 14, 2014.

1. RoryG

I was going to pull the plug on a DJI S900 when a great deal came up on a Vulcan Mantis 900 Hex frame with two Z arms, motors and ESCs. Pretty much finished the build and spent four hours balancing six 12 x 4.5 carbon props today! Wind up here is severe gales so not much chance of test flying for a few days yet! I've fitted her with a Naza M V2, H3-3D, iOSD mini, 2.4GHz datalink, Futaba R6303SB Rx and Boscam 200mW VTx, it's been a very enjoyable build although I have the joys of gain tuning to look forward to...

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Rory

2. CallMeAlan

Looks good! I really enjoyed building my F550 and it flies very well, and now I've put a GoPro 4 Black on it I'm getting wonderful smooth 4K video.
    But gains! Arghh! Getting gains right was the hardest thing of all, and I'm still not happy with them after maybe 8 flights. At the weekend it was showing a tendency to descend rapidly, suddenly, and for no apparent reason. It was controllable and I didn't crash but it's scary. I think I have to reduce the vertical figure.
    Good luck!

3. discv

Love that Vulcan!
    Alan- been following your build with interest- but I think you need to have a think about your weight. I've wondered from the start if you might face issues.

4. CallMeAlan

Discv, pleased that somebody is looking at my site and my build. Makes it all worthwhile to know that somebody is seeing it. Thank you.

I've been very weight-conscious throughout. Right now, in its current final build, complete with a 5000 battery and everything mentioned on my site, including Lillie, I'm at 2325, which is a hair below the recommended UAW. Prior to Saturday all seemed well, and I thought I'd nailed gains, but on Saturday suddenly, about 2 mins into the flight, it showed a tendency to suddenly descend. Hardly any wind. Apart from a brief light touchdown I was able to get it back up again. Luckily I was close and low, just testing the GoPro 4. My gains were:
    180 180 140 120 140 140
    I went home and dropped the vertical to 100 and went back to try again. Not quite so bad but still dipping, even in ATTI. I thought I might try 90 for vertical next.
    But I would be grateful to know what you think? I'm really clueless with gains. I have just the vanilla DJI TX/RX so I can't do the dynamic in-flight gaining.
    (Sorry to butt in on your thread Rory.)

5. RoryG

Really enjoyed looking at your website Alan, that's a nice looking 550 you've got there. I was considering one earlier this year then the S900 came out at a great price point, so I ended up with a Vulcan! There's logic there somewhere!

As for weight the Vulcan is a heavy lump, 4Kg without the gimbal and 4.5Kg with camera / gimbal. That's with 2 x 5000mAh 4S LiPos, according to eCalc I should get around 10 minutes mixed flying with the 12x4.5 props. I may go up to 2 x 6000mAh but want to se her in the air before I buy any more batteries!

Cheers,

Rory