Phantom 2 Vision+ ... will the phoenix rise from the flames?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Phantom 2 Vision+. Had it for two days before I crashed it and broke the camera and gimbal. I'm trying to figure out what to do -- I need to get airborne again but I don't have another 1,400 to spend on another system. I figure it's not a total loss, as the quadcopter itself still flies fine. Do I add a gimbal and a GoPro to it? What should I use for the FPV that of course no longer works? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Phantom 2 Vision+ ... will the phoenix rise from the fla

I would buy a cheaper camera to attach directly - such as the SJ4000 and remove the original camera/gimbal assembly for now.
You can get a replacement cam/gimbal but they are expensive.
FPV and telemetry is nice but you can manage without.

I'd like to think that the price of the replacement V+ cameras will come down over time

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD6DJ6f9KNo[/youtube]

nicklucey said:
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Phantom 2 Vision+. Had it for two days before I crashed it and broke the camera and gimbal. I'm trying to figure out what to do -- I need to get airborne again but I don't have another 1,400 to spend on another system. I figure it's not a total loss, as the quadcopter itself still flies fine. Do I add a gimbal and a GoPro to it? What should I use for the FPV that of course no longer works? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I wasn't as lucky as you. I had to replace the shell and the gimbal/camera assembly. The shell was $75 including shipping and that job took me about 4 hours when you include the videos I watched and the pictures I took to make sure I put it back right. I had to wait about a month for the gimbal/camera assembly at $679. Replacing it was plug and play (no calibration or binding required). The result is I'm back in flight.

I investigated buying a gopro setup, but the V2+ integration is reliable and I didn't want to try to do the integration and have the FPV not work. Also, I already had a sun shield for my Nexus tablet and a custom mounting addition for attaching it to the clip. I'm happy with the decision I made. It cost me $744 on top of the $1369 I spent originally but other than waiting for the gimbal/camera to be in stock, I was in control of my own destiny.

I've learned that trees are not your friends, especially if it is windy. Water doesn't scare me any more- but trees still do. Good luck with whatever you decide. Having the bird back in the air was worth it for me.

Thanks for the feedback. What's the best source for the replacement gimbal/camera setup OR a gimbal/GoPro setup, on DJI's website?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl