Phantom 2 Vision Plus Camera Inoperative and solid red gimbal light

Reaction score
Hello, I have a phantom 2 vision plus i have just purchased. The drone itself flies OK. The camera does not seem to work. The gimbal has a solid red LED illuminated. The DJI vision app on my android does not show any camera footage SD card or drone battery percentage. The app does however show the range extender and WiFi signal strength. I have tried to take photos with the camera manually but it doesn't take still images. I have tried to upgrade the camera through the SD card as per instructions but it wont upgrade either. Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with this problem and if so would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

Yes,
I had same issue, bad gimbal mainboard.
Most likely due to extender update through app.
Sometimes the red light will show when no SD card inserted.
But 100 to 1, bad gimbal board.

Hope this helps!
J Dot
:cool:

Thanks for the reply J Dot, greatly appreciated. Is there a way to test if the problem i am having is the gimbal board or WiFi module? I have the perforated WiFi module i can see LED's inside I just don't want to go to the expense of replacing the wrong parts. Does the camera work without the WiFi module? any info would be fantastic.

Jayman1

The camera should take pics and video manually using the button on gimbal, the wifi unit only transmits the image.
I had on that was the same, and was a bad board.

Try to take some manual pics or video, and read your card to see if it took?

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
I have already tried to take pics and video manually but no joy. I have tried 3 different SD cards too. The reason that i thought it may be the WiFi module was that i can see the SD card or battery percentage and GPS from the drone are all greyed out on the vision app.

Jayman1

Last edited:
Yes,
You see,
The camera pulls power from phantom mainboard, then the power passes through, the gimbal, and back to the wifi unit.
So that being said, if the gimbal boards fails, it most likely is not relaying the power to wifi module.
There is a bypass, you can perform, to test the wifi, but it is a son of a gun, unless you have a spare set of wires.
But if you are up to the challenge

On your wifi module, there are 3 plugs, 2 small plugs on the side, and a larger plug on the END. the larger plug on the end, is the plug we are after, it has a pin you must push to replease the plug ( it is easier to remove the Phillips screw holding the wifi down, then gently pry wifi module loose ( it is double sided taped down ) once loose you can unplug the wire from module, now track the wire down and out the belly of bird ( you'll need to remove the USB PORT PLUG, as I'd doubles as a wire tie down as well., you need to remove the wire in question completely.
Now we have wire, UNPLUG the wire going to the CAM PORT on phantom mainboard, then plug the wire we removed to the cam port, then back into wifi module, this will power the wifi temporarily, to see if you have transmission.
( NOTE: some mainboards have 5 port cam port, others have a 6 port ) make sure plug is in right spot if you have a 5 port plug, and 6 port mainboard!

Now turn on phantom and test for signal, you can also trace hidden wifi signal ( MAC address ) through android app ( InSSIDer app ). But you have to pay for it, around $10, or less.

Once satisfied it is working, then replace wire, the way it was, replace USB PORT, ect. It is a total pain in the rear, but at least you'll know, but

Im telling you, it is your gimbal board, 100 to 1!

J Dot

Hope this helps!

Thanks J Dot for the information i am greatly appreciative that you have given me the time to rite these posts. I will have a look for a gimbal board. I am not to sure where i can obtain one as yet. Any ideas.
Jayman1.

Mike Holt
530-277-5366
California time, so please be considerate.

He will have what you need, best price, and parts are guaranteed! Also he is a cool guy.

Let me know
J Dot

Yeah thanks J Dot i am in Australia. Just looking at the phantom any idea why i cant get a battery or GPS indicator on the vision app. Do you think it is directly related to my gimbal problem.

Thanks again
Jayman1

Email
[email protected]

Same thing happened to me, solid red light on gimbal, but gimbal was level, and booted up, but I could hook to extender, and craft, but solid black screen, like app was inactive. I replaced the wifi, with same results, so I replaced board, and boom, worked beautifully.

Nice thing about Mike, is, just let him know your situation, and if you buy a board, and still no joy, than send it back, pay the difference, and get a module!

Let me know?

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeah thanks J Dot i am in Australia. Just looking at the phantom any idea why i cant get a battery or GPS indicator on the vision app. Do you think it is directly related to my gimbal problem.

Thanks again
Jayman1

Hi Jayman,

Did you manage to solve the issue? Was it the gimbal board? I have the exact same issue like you:

Gimbal red light, i cant get a battery or GPS indicator on the vision app

Thank you very very much!!! And happy Easter! :)

People go on these forums for help and expect to find solutions to issues.
It would be extremely helpful to others who are experiencing the same issues to know
if the suggested solution solved the issue or not. These threads just seem to end
with no conclusion. Very frustrating.

Reactions: Mike OBryan
No the issue is not resolved as yet. I am having trouble getting a gimbal board. DJI are no help. I have rang them but wash their hands of it. Useless trying them.

If i solve the problem i will post. JDot seems vey cluey with these issues though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen