Phantom 2 -- AVL58, Hub, iOSD mini, Black Pearl -- Range?

Reaction score
So I just installed the kit in the title and I see about 800m range which is absolutely fine. The problem is when I turn around to fly back, I lose signal until I get within ~300m. Best fairly reasonable antenna? Current antenna is mounted so it sticks out the back of the Phantom, so I am not surprised by this.

Also, anyone think the height shows WAY to high? When I am level with the gutter on the second floor of my house it shows 15m, should read more like 7m.... I know that its about 20ft high, seems way wrong. Starting point reads about 1m.

Anyhow, this has been asked 1000 times, but I found 1000 answers. Real world advice would be good.

Reactions: Thebirdman666
I fly a P2 as well.
If you can orient the AVL58 so that the antenna sticks out below the bird, you have a better chance of connecting at 800m.

I used this antenna instead of the stock AVL58 antenna and this helped a ton
If you want to get more distance, you'll need to mod your controller so that you can attach another antenna to that and then you start seeing better ranges.

I'm getting about 700m-800m total when using this exact same setup. Any obstructions between the TX and RX can shorten this range by a lot however so make sure that you have LOS as often as you can.

Yeah, I've learned. I can get out over 1200meters, but don't have signal when I turn around until about 600m or so. I then put a 90 on the antenna and get about 7-900m coming or going, thats good enough for now.

Reactions: Drones_Landing
Yeah, I've learned. I can get out over 1200meters, but don't have signal when I turn around until about 600m or so. I then put a 90 on the antenna and get about 7-900m coming or going, thats good enough for now.

You could put a immersionRC patch antenna on your monitor/receive which has a 13 DBi gain and should help when the P2 is flying towards you.

I fly a P2 as well.
If you can orient the AVL58 so that the antenna sticks out below the bird, you have a better chance of connecting at 800m.

I used this antenna instead of the stock AVL58 antenna and this helped a ton
If you want to get more distance, you'll need to mod your controller so that you can attach another antenna to that and then you start seeing better ranges.

The idea Terry Lowe had about modding the controller has nothing to do with the video signal but rather increasing the flight distance. Which I might add is against FCC rule 15 and there are many here that do not care about rules and do as they **** well please.

You could put a immersionRC patch antenna on your monitor/receive which has a 13 DBi gain and should help when the P2 is flying towards you.

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm at the point where I lose signal with the receiver sometimes anyhow, I have no interest in going further than that. I'll try that antenna and see if it help, appreciate it!

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm at the point where I lose signal with the receiver sometimes anyhow, I have no interest in going further than that. I'll try that antenna and see if it help, appreciate it!

The patch antenna has 35° beam width so you do need to point in the direction of your P2.

The patch antenna has 35° beam width so you do need to point in the direction of your P2.
I read that, that's ok, when I get that far out I'm adjusting antennas anyhow, thanks for making the point in case i'd missed it! Would you run the standard Black Pearl Antenna on the other side or a AVL58 style antenna (DJI cloverleaf)? I have both to try.

Last edited:
I read that, that's ok, when I get that far out I'm adjusting antennas anyhow, thanks for making the point in case i'd missed it! Would you run the standard Black Pearl Antenna on the other side or a AVL58 style antenna (DJI cloverleaf)? I have both to try.

I have 4 dji cloverleaf antennas and use the RX antennas on both the receiver and the video transmitter. The reason using the RX antenna immersion TX is that it's longer and sits below the gimbal /camera for better reception when facing forward towards me.

Reactions: terrylowe
The idea Terry Lowe had about modding the controller has nothing to do with the video signal but rather increasing the flight distance. Which I might add is against FCC rule 15 and there are many here that do not care about rules and do as they **** well please.

The remote control antenna I WANTED/NEEDED was out of stock...

radio antenna.jpg

Reactions: brivander
If the antenna you were looking for was immersionRC patch antenna you can get that from B&H also
Fat Shark SpiroNET 5.8 GHz CP Patch Antenna IRL2302 B&H Photo

You will need this adapter to connect it to your monitor as well.
SMA Female To RP-SMA Male connect SMA to RP-SMA RF Connector Adapter USA

Jason, I was just being silly. I was implying that I wanted the antenna in the photo for my remote control antenna. I feel bad now that you went and looked up that link for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl