Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 2 -- AVL58, Hub, iOSD mini, Black Pearl -- Range?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by brivander, Mar 6, 2016.

1. brivander

So I just installed the kit in the title and I see about 800m range which is absolutely fine. The problem is when I turn around to fly back, I lose signal until I get within ~300m. Best fairly reasonable antenna? Current antenna is mounted so it sticks out the back of the Phantom, so I am not surprised by this.

Also, anyone think the height shows WAY to high? When I am level with the gutter on the second floor of my house it shows 15m, should read more like 7m.... I know that its about 20ft high, seems way wrong. Starting point reads about 1m.

Anyhow, this has been asked 1000 times, but I found 1000 answers. Real world advice would be good.

Thebirdman666 likes this.
  2. terrylowe

I fly a P2 as well.
    If you can orient the AVL58 so that the antenna sticks out below the bird, you have a better chance of connecting at 800m.

I used this antenna instead of the stock AVL58 antenna and this helped a ton
    If you want to get more distance, you'll need to mod your controller so that you can attach another antenna to that and then you start seeing better ranges.

3. brivander

When you say add an antenna to the controller, a bit confused...on the black pearl? This is not a vision craft.

4. Mcqueenb

How do i post a meq forum, sorry to drop in on yr topic.

5. Mcqueenb

New- topic i should say* sorry

6. Drones_Landing

I'm getting about 700m-800m total when using this exact same setup. Any obstructions between the TX and RX can shorten this range by a lot however so make sure that you have LOS as often as you can.

7. brivander

Yeah, I've learned. I can get out over 1200meters, but don't have signal when I turn around until about 600m or so. I then put a 90 on the antenna and get about 7-900m coming or going, thats good enough for now.

Drones_Landing likes this.
  8. jason

You could put a immersionRC patch antenna on your monitor/receive which has a 13 DBi gain and should help when the P2 is flying towards you.

The idea Terry Lowe had about modding the controller has nothing to do with the video signal but rather increasing the flight distance. Which I might add is against FCC rule 15 and there are many here that do not care about rules and do as they **** well please.

9. brivander

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm at the point where I lose signal with the receiver sometimes anyhow, I have no interest in going further than that. I'll try that antenna and see if it help, appreciate it!

10. jason

The patch antenna has 35° beam width so you do need to point in the direction of your P2.

11. brivander

I read that, that's ok, when I get that far out I'm adjusting antennas anyhow, thanks for making the point in case i'd missed it! Would you run the standard Black Pearl Antenna on the other side or a AVL58 style antenna (DJI cloverleaf)? I have both to try.

#11 brivander, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  12. jason

I have 4 dji cloverleaf antennas and use the RX antennas on both the receiver and the video transmitter. The reason using the RX antenna immersion TX is that it's longer and sits below the gimbal /camera for better reception when facing forward towards me.

terrylowe likes this.
  13. terrylowe

The remote control antenna I WANTED/NEEDED was out of stock...

radio antenna.jpg

brivander likes this.
  14. jason

15. terrylowe

Jason, I was just being silly. I was implying that I wanted the antenna in the photo for my remote control antenna. I feel bad now that you went and looked up that link for me.