Peter Navarro: US responds to threat from Chinese drones – We’re rebuilding American drone industry

dirkclod

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I thought this part was interesting.
To undermine its competitors and establish market dominance in this emerging high-tech industry, DJI significantly dropped its prices.

Hmm ... more political spin than an informative article.
>>To undermine its competitors and establish market dominance in this emerging high-tech industry, DJI significantly dropped its prices.
Does anyone remember DJI significantly dropping their prices?
>>As a result, one of America’s most promising U.S. drone manufacturers, 3D Robotics, was forced to stop production.
It wouldn't have had anything to do with DJI bringing out the Phantom 3 series which had superior technology to the the old wifi used by the 3DR Solo??

Hmm ... more political spin than an informative article.
>>To undermine its competitors and establish market dominance in this emerging high-tech industry, DJI significantly dropped its prices.
Does anyone remember DJI significantly dropping their prices?
>>As a result, one of America’s most promising U.S. drone manufacturers, 3D Robotics, was forced to stop production.
It wouldn't have had anything to do with DJI bringing out the Phantom 3 series which had superior technology to the the old wifi used by the 3DR Solo??
When I read Frank Wang story, that was his statement to beat competition. Yes, technology was better and cheaper.

And how will US or any other country's drone industry get its parts to build such ?? Considering that the world and its dog goes to China for its parts ? Even India who has a large component industry sources a lot from China.

Can you imagine the R&D required to even start to compete ??

I'm trying to understand why this is seen as normal business if a US company does it, but villainy if it's a foreign one. It's what all business does to gain market share. The fix is to make something better, or make something just as good and compete with the price point.

Reactions: furthertofly
Glad to see so many readers recognizing this for the horse*&^% political posturing that it is, trying to justify protectionist economic policies that always fail.

Well I for one would prefer to buy American. If a US Drone company built a UAS that was as good as a DJI one... I would buy it in a heart beat. Americans are our own worst enemy. We complain about jobs going over seas and losing business here in the States... but will buy anything made anywhere if it’s cheaper.

Well, why do you think the American companies are going over seas, and if not the Americans can’t compete? Because we are all cheap asses...

Well I for one would prefer to buy American. If a US Drone company built a UAS that was as good as a DJI one... I would buy it in a heart beat. Americans are our own worst enemy. We complain about jobs going over seas and losing business here in the States... but will buy anything made anywhere if it’s cheaper.

Well, why do you think the American companies are going over seas, and if not the Americans can’t compete? Because we are all cheap asses...
We are doing so well, we have more jobs then people to fill them. At least where I live. I think that is one reason companies are moving out, supply and demand. We can be picky on who we work for and get a higher wage. Many countries people just want a job. I have seen it.

We are doing so well, we have more jobs then people to fill them. At least where I live. I think that is one reason companies are moving out, supply and demand. We can be picky on who we work for and get a higher wage. Many countries people just want a job. I have seen it.

Yeah now! 3 years ago different story.

Bottom line, buy American to save American jobs. Now with that in mine, I have 2 DJI drones , and a osmo pocket. My DSLR is a Canon and so are all my lenses... sigh. I’m a bad American...

Keeping American jobs and investing in American leadership in the drone industry are good objectives. That should be achieved through investment in this sector of our economy. BUT ... using fear tactics to get drone users to “buy American” is a lame tactic. Do we ban iPhones from all government buildings, all corporate headquarters, any military person? iPhones pose a FAR more serious threat for information leaks than drones.

Reactions: Propsontop
Keeping American jobs and investing in American leadership in the drone industry are good objectives. That should be achieved through investment in this sector of our economy. BUT ... using fear tactics to get drone users to “buy American” is a lame tactic. Do we ban iPhones from all government buildings, all corporate headquarters, any military person? iPhones pose a FAR more serious threat for information leaks than drones.

Apple is an American company, although since they’ve moved to China for the extra buck... they shouldn’t be considered American... but I believe under Trump they are in the process of moving some of their operations back.

It is a scary thought, that China (and Siri) are always listening......

Well said, exact same story here in Australia. Our government is always harping on about buying Australian made products. Media advertisements across the board, "support Australia, keep Australian jobs" blah blah blah. People here also complain about businesses folding and going overseas But the reality is that everything Australian made IS more expensive, doesn't last as long & the technology is years behind the likes of China. We simply can't compete, so people choose to shop online.

Reactions: Adamborz
The fundamental truth is the world is now connected through trade, going back to the time before recorded history even. Think through what would happen if there weren't overseas markets for us to sell to, or buy from. Any one country might have a surplus of a given commodity, and others a need for it. Pull it all "in-house" as the politicians would have it, and the global economy starts to collapse. The company you work for (manufacturing, soft goods, even intellectual properties) will sell to overseas markets too if there is a way to profit from the transaction. Take Harley-Davidson...American as it gets. They still sell 23,000(ish) motorcycles per year to other countries. What would be the likely result if they suddenly only sold to US markets? Or had to buy the parts and manufacturing from US sources only. Prices would skyrocket and the company would fail. I do believe strongly in supporting US goods, but I'm also a realist. It isn't "us versus them", no matter what anyone would have you believe. Remember 2009. It is the best lesson of how connected we all are.

Reactions: furthertofly

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3